1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wound Treatment - Punctures

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by J M A N, May 18, 2004.

1. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

The second most common wound that you will one-day need to deal with will be the puncture type wounds. These are the types of wounds that cause the most problems for your dog; they are the types of wounds that more often become abscessed lesions.

To begin with, flush out the puncture wound with Hydrogen Peroxide, again ONLY ONCE, and every time there after that you clean the wound by flushing it you will use Batedine. The biggest mistake that people makeconcerning punctures and the reason they become abscessed lesions is that the wound is ALLOWED to close over at the top BEFORE it has healed underneath, bacteria is trapped inside, pus is formed and a swelling is created, there are no antibiotics that will clear up an abscess once it has formed unless it is lanced.

To avoid the necessity of lancing the wound, it must be kept open and allowed to heal from the inside out, in order to do this, take a Q-Tip and insert the Q-Tip into the puncture wound three times per/day after you clean and flush the wound, just insert the Q-Tip into the wound and roll it around within the wound for a few seconds, then take out the Q-Tip. This will remove any necrotic tissue (dead tissue) and the wound will heal from the inside out and this may take two weeks.

If the wound does develop an abscess it must be lanced. Clean the area to be lanced with alcohol then take a scalpel and make an incision VERTICALLY along the wound, do not make an incision horizontally, by making the incision VERTICALLY you will allow the wound to drain using gravity, also you will now need to flush this wound and squeeze the wound three times per/day along with inserting the Q-Tips so that the wound does not close up at the top as it previously did.

mike333 likes this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Pup

good advice.....lolololol

3. HCK

HCK Big Dog

I've heard through several people to flush with peroxide only once, but why only once? I would think that it would keep wounds disinfected better than anything else therefore it would heal up quicker.

4. Gamest

Gamest Pup

I flush once with peroixide and then keep a paste on it ( IODINE< SULPHER < VASALINE ) LET IT DRAIN

5. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

peroxide is actually bad for the healthy skin around the cut. it takes longer for the cut to heal if you continue to use peroxide because of the damage it is doing to the softer tissue around the area.

6. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

Peroxide eats the newly formed tissue and as jawbones said it prolongs healing greatly. Betadine is something EVERYONE should have on hand to flush wounds out with. Great post, btw!

7. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Ha ha! now we're talking. Be sure to give your dog skin and coat liquids supplements to their food everyday, during and after the intial healing of the wound. This will help promote and speed up any growth of skin and fur. Get the all in one supplements, they will contain all important Omega Fatty Acids, fish oil, other oils, skin vitamins, ect. everything you need for improving the skin and coat. Many types of wounds will be full of dirt and bacteria, so yes allowing any buildup to drain is very important. The vet will charge an arm and a leg to treat your pet, but if you know what to do it's not difficult to treat certain wounds yourself. I have used certain types of penicilin and other types of antibiotics successful to kill any inner infections, but I caution you to know what to use, when, and how much before you use it yourself. Find out from a professional, maybe a friend in the field, and do your own research also.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2005
  8. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Does anyone else use Hydro-Therapy for wounds? My vet turned me on to it about 3 1/2 years ago. Keep the dogs on a good antibiotic, & wash the wound area with warm water like an extension shower head twice daily. keeps the wound from closing and the antibiotic oozes the bad stuff out. Very little scarring, & the dogs heal pretty quick. I also like using Nitrfurazone paste bc the sulfur keeps flys & other insects away from the wounds.

9. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

I read that somewhere before good information.

10. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Another thing, some good old B-complex won't hurt either, along with those Omega Fatty Acids, fish oil, and skin vitamins, your dog will look fantastic real quick. Remember, the time just after the healing is over also is important, if you act fast then some of those patches of fur missing or scars can actually fill in better.

11. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Use diluted Novasan soln. to flush the would and yes Hydro-therapy works wonders SFK!! I will never understand why someone would flush a wound with H2O2. Also with punctures you needs to get the dog started on some ab's.
    JMAN, do check your source before posting medical advice!!

12. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

I know the medical ways to treat puncture wounds, as stated in previous post. Being a body art professional, I got to thinking. Couldn't they be treated as a fresh body piercing, cleaning with a sea salt solution, such as H2ocean, used to clean piercings? They are in a way alike. This solution contains lysosomes that will eradicate the wound of harmful bacteria, yet leaving behind the natural bacteria that the body uses to heal itself. Just a thought. Any opinions?

13. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

Hmmmm - I've got a lot of sea salt (lots of piercings)...you've got me to wondering the same.

14. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

Personally, I think it would work well. I haven't tried it. But think about it, we get pierced and with customers, the first thing we tell em is do not use any type of antibiotic ointmet. This only hiders the growth of new tissue, thus prolonging healing and chance of aggravation causing more problems. So we use no ointments, only cleaning with antibacterial soap, and a sea salt solution, and in 3 weeks or so our piercings (puncture wounds) are healed.

15. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

ABointment is going to keep the tissue moist and help with the healing. If you have ever fluch a wound out with salt water it doesn't feel to great. Novasan soln. has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Also there is a big difference between a piercing and a bite wound!!

16. Last thursday I had an incident that ended up with my dog getting scars. That night, I rubbed some penicilin (balm) and then A & D cream. Since, I have been using vitamin E 3 time a day (nip capsules of 1000 IU normally used as a vitamin supplement) to aid the skin in its healing process. I believe (please confirm or correct if wrong), using vitamin E three times a day will help the wound heal from the inside out. Also, it is my understanding that using vitamin E as previously stated will allow the fur to grow out leaving no apparent sign of the wound.

What do you all think about what I am doing? Is it correct? The picture was taken yesterday afternoon (5 days from the incident).

Attached Files:

• scar.JPG
      scar.JPG
      File size:
      167.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  17. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

I used vitamin E ointment on mine when she had a cut on her neck ( Don't know where it came from...) I actually used what the tattoo shop gave me for my recent tattoo. I've used it on my own cuts and the stuff is great.

18. runt

runt Big Dog

what about cuts and scrapes on the pads of their feet:confused:

19. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

For their feet you should get something to put on them - I use PadGuard. It protects them from the streets and what not when you walk them. It doesn't cure anything but when you dog's feet do heal, I'd try using that whenever doing activities that may cause damage.

20. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

well i cleans wounds for a living,flush with sterlie water,ns then clean bid apply tao. put on telfa and medipore tape. flush with syringe each time to create pressure while cleaning out. reeval. to see if tx. is working.