1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wound Treatment - Punctures

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by J M A N, May 18, 2004.

1. Do a search for it. J M A N opened one a long time ago. I saw and read it while searching for this one. Great information on keeping your doggie looking nice.

2. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

I would flush bid (2 times per day)with n/s and try your best to cover with a non stick gauze like telfa. get a e-collar if needed. but if it is to hard of a area to keep a dressing on leave it pen to air and flush qid (4times per day)and put tao on each time.

3. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

Great info. Jman rep points to ya.

4. CRD

CRD Big Dog

Always Irrigate The Wounds With 0.9 Normal Saline. It's The Safest

5. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

You know I fail to see why JMAN's post is good. It is not good information or the proper way to treat a wound. Also someone said use Sterile water to flush the wound, why? A wound is dirty, why waste Sterile water on a dirty wound.

6. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

Okay...how would you go about cleaning a wound?{Not trying to sound like a smartass.}

7. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

Not sayin that im holier than that but sterile water is fine to use why introduce bacteria or ecoli. oh and thats what we use in the hospital.n/s is fine to.

8. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

I agree.My pup tore a whole in my 2 1/2 yr old dogs ear & I flushed it out with hydrogen peroxide the first time & after that with sterile water until it started to heal up.I aint had no problems with the gash at all.

9. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Well if it is a bite wound there are already bacteria in the wound, that has to be assumed for ALL puncture wounds. Using sterile water is only swishing the bacteria around in there. Why not use an anti microbial agent; Novasan or Bedadine.
    Wound care and treatment should be common knowledge.

10. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

Well I use pyroxide the first time to kill all the bacteria & flush it out.From the second time on out I'll just flush the wound out with sterile water then apply this stuff my vet gave me{cant remember the name..too long}It's suppossed to be like neosporin for dogs.It cost a good bit but it gets the job done well.

11. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Hmmm...I thought it was pretty good info, although a bit basic and incomplete. Fresh hydrogen peroxide is more ideal for use, due to the fact that the older hp that's been open for awhile can create air pockets inside the wound. Saline is a great choice to use to flush a wound. I'll use sterile water before I'll use regular old tap water, to help prevent the introduction of new microbes into the wound area. I never overlook the power of antibiotics. I'll use a triple AB ointment on the wound itself, in conjunction with an oral AB, moxy, most usually.
    I highly respect your opinion, Scotsman; I'm curious to know how you treat such wounds yourself.

mike333 likes this.
  12. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

I was asked wound care after the fact you should of cleaned with a antimicrobal (you are correct)at first but after ns or sterile water only, hp will kill the granulation tissue ,sometimes ns can cause tissue to become masarated from attracting water from the sodium part so sterile water is better for most.If it is adeep wound esp.vasoline will stop the skin from breathing.flush wound with a syringe to create pressure .so it doesnt sit there. thank you mntman R.N.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2005
  13. pulldoginks

pulldoginks Banned

I think you all have some good info thanks.

14. B

B CH Dog

Thanks for the discussion guys :) It always helps to teach people basic care.

Regards,

B

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2005
  15. I agree with Rockstar. J M A N did open a good thread that should be placed (clipped) on top of "HEALTH" for anyone to read at any time. Just my opinion.

16. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Figured this could be a good bump up from 2005.

17. stickler

stickler Banned

Oh yes, it's 2012 and I highly recommend Manuka Honey and Propolis. Can be used on almost everything. Doesn't look cheap for honey, but it saved me alot of money already. Can be mixed with water or use it pure. No side effects at all. But kills almost everything. Works even well where antibiotics are not working anymore. Love it !

18. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

im not a veteran by far but been in the dogs 15 years and have had my share of yard accidents ive always just used iodine and triple antibiotic aka neosporin. has always worked but would like too know how too minimize scarring.

19. stickler

stickler Banned

Was manuka and propolis mentioned somewhere ?
    That's what you are looking for.

20. TerpGal

TerpGal Pup

Dunno, I like normal saline for wound irrigation (this is what we use in the hospital-it is the same Na+ concentration as body fluids so it doesnt sting) I wonder if you can use Hibiclens (chlorhexideine) on dogs. It stings less and is less risky in terms of sensitivities. I use it to clean out wounds on myself (rollerblading and biking mishaps) I have found that using neosporin for an extended period, like more than four days, can lead to sensitivity issues to the neomycin in it.