1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Yards and kids

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by 7mmrowland, Feb 18, 2010.

1. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

You dudes with dog yards, do you have kids and what kinda behavior is expected with children? Are only kid friendly dogs exepted or some kenneled to avoid proplems? I know Ha is unexeptable but are they trusted?

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

my gramps wouldnt keep a HA dog on the yard when i was little. he did when my dad was a kid but not me. and if any dog snapped at me or showed the least bit HA, that dog was dead before the sunset & buried out back!
    on the other hand, i knew how to act around dogs. i didnt abuse & torture them like most little kids do. from about 4 yrs old every evening id go out back and help grampa feed the dogs. i was around 8/9 years old taking the dogs for walks, cleanin shit in the kennel & chain spots and feeding them (by myself). now its nothing but a fond memory. (RIP)
    but to answer your question i wouldnt trust ANY dog unsupervised with kids. especially with the way dogs are being bred now a days.
    but i suppose that if the kid is mature & can act responsibly than i feel a real APBT would prolly be the safest around kids.

ITS ALL IN HOW YOU RAISE EM (and i dont mean the dogs!)

3. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

when i was a kid the dogs had more yard than i did

4. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

we were on 15 acres so that made it nice growing up.

5. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

My children and all my grandchildren could go anyplace around the dogs with no worries, And this is how it should be Period.

With that said I also expected some things of the children, They were shown how to handle dogs and what they could and could not do. It is a 50/50 effort you need to have good dogs but you also need to have children shown how to act around animals.

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

my point exactly old timer! well said.

7. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I just comes down to keeping the right dogs for your situation and giving the kids the right training.
    Things can always happen. However, there is less of a chance of "happening" going horribly if you set ground rules for your kids, and base-standards for temperament for yourself and the dogs. A dog doesn't have to be vicious to hurt a child, and a child doesn't have to be malevolent to hurt a dog either.

8. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Any dog and any kid in my opinion,needs watching.Just because a dog isn't HA doesn't mean it can't hurt a kid.A chain whipping through as a dog runs around the chain spot would be a little rough if it hit a kid.I was just standing in one of my chainspots last year and the dog seen another dog across the yard and took off,the chain hit me in the ankles hard enough to knock both feet out from under me,I'm 208 pounds,a little kid might of got hurt a little bit.Some dog also jump up and act pretty hyper,wouldn't bite or anything but I'm sure getting scratched and knocked over isn't real fun for a kid either.I don't keep anything around I don't trust but if kids are around them,I watch them and the dogs both.I'm talking about younger kids though,when they get older,like 9 or 10 years old,that's a little different,but 3 or 4 years old need watching.

9. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I have 2 kids, the 3 yr old is the active one with the dogs. So he is expected to deal with the dogs properly, no tail pulling, poking the eyes or riding on their backs. My dogs are expected to submit to him fully, no mounting, teething or nipping. All my dogs are exposed to my son as pups, they live in my house for the first year so they establish the pecking order. But, they are all housed so that no child or short person can get access to the dogs. They are always locked and secured in the pens. But all my dogs are very kid friendly. JMO

10. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

^^^^^^^Great Post. I couldnt stop laughing, not at you but with you. When I was around ten I had a dog that terrorized my friends by mounting them, being a little shit as a child I remeber always trying to set them up for failure...

11. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Good Lord, Sounded like you went to prison or something,lol.

That was quite the story, Never had that happen to any of the children thank the Lord and also thankfully none of the bulldogs ever caused any problems with them either when they were excited to see them. But you did raise some good points there on what could happen and it will give folks something to think about.