1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

You Can't Be Serious

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by bigcespits, Nov 14, 2007.

1. bigcespits

bigcespits Big Dog

By Matt Elofson
    A judge sentenced 42-year-old Johnny Ray Lewis this morning to serve more than 100 years in prison on dog fighting-related charges a jury convicted him of last month.

Houston County Circuit Court Judge Ed Jackson sentenced Lewis to six years in prison for each of the 17 dogs police seized as part of the dog fighting case filed against him. A jury convicted Lewis on Sept. 27, on 17 felonies for possessing dogs with the intent to train them for fighting. He faced a possible sentence of a year and a day up to 10 years per charge.

Jackson said he sentenced Lewis to what he called a “mid-range” sentence.

“It is a type of case that is sensitive to the public,” Jackson said as he announced the sentence.

Derek Yarbrough, Lewis’ lawyer, told the court his client planned to the appeal the case. Jackson set an appeal bond of $85,000, at $5,000 per charge in the case.

2. Marty

Marty Guest

What about the $16.000? (don't remember the exact amount) he owes to euthanize 17 dogs?

Hell I payed $12.00 for the pups I had to put down :(

Edited to add...

Police Chief John Powell told the judge at the hearing Lewis owed the City of Dothan more than $16,500 in restitution for the cost to euthanize his dogs at the city’s animal shelter

http://www.dothaneagle.com/gulfcoas...px.-content-articles-DEA-2007-11-14-0009.html

3. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Yeah, that makes sense. Child Molesters get out in a matter of 5 years sometimes less, but this guy fights his dogs and he gets life....What a messed up world we live in, where you get bigger punishments for "animal cruelty" than Human cruelty.

4. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

100 years?

The average sentence for murder is 29 years.

What a world.

5. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i wonder how much this has to do with the fact that we all see violence commited against humankind on a daily basis.(movies, video games, tv) but how often do you see crimes commited against animals. NEVER they are cute and furry, so nobody wants to watch that crap. we are desensitized to human on human violence. so scumbags like child molesters and rapists bounce in and out with short sentences. just a theory off the top of my head.

6. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Someone Murdered my ex wifes mother. This guy got 10 yrs. He is walking the streets right now, ive seen him...[​IMG]

7. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Om gosh, what the heck? That is completely messed up. How did he only get 10 years? That is outragous!

8. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Total BS. Let's see something like that for Vick!

9. bigcespits

bigcespits Big Dog

10. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Great point. Its sad but true.

Yeah a close friend of mine had problems with some guy yrs back. That guy opened up fire on myself and a few good friends with a 30\6 riffle. Hit my good friend almost killing him, and crippling him for life. He got like 5 counts of attempted murder. A few yrs. later he moves in next door. Its a crazy world at times.

11. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

The criminal Justice System sucks. It was nothing worse than riding up the street with her one day and seeing him walking up the street.
    Sucks that why when I hear sentencing of some of these crap cases it just doesnt make sense...

12. fitzpit

fitzpit Big Dog

if i was in your shoes,that would have been the last time anyone saw him again.

this case is unreal. this is the first i have heard of it.

13. Suki

Suki Guest

i'm glad to see that the animals win for a change, but yeah, this is seriously messed up. [​IMG]and i personally know of a guy who raped and molested 4 girls and has NOT seen nor spent not even one day in a jail cell....and yeah, he's walking the streets (as well) as we speak...[​IMG]

how "american"..... :rolleyes:

damn, we need a puke icon on here.....[​IMG]

14. simms

simms CH Dog

I'm reading intent...related dogfighting charges? 100 years... I didnt read that the man had gotten caught with a dog between his legs, even if he had so what...a 100 years *shaking head*

15. I did read though, that the sentence was per dog, and they are going to run concurrently. It was 6 years per dog. So I think 6 years is the max he'll serve.