1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Almost lost a good one!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by DryCreek, May 21, 2010.

1. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Hope he has a full recovery! Coyotes are everywhere it seems. Saw one on our driveway last weekend.

2. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

glad to hear he is doing ok!

3. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Not the best pic but this is Shogun before, I will get more up later of his after...

[​IMG]

4. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

poor guy! glad to hear he came out on top and will hopefully be ok.

5. catchw8

catchw8 Big Dog

Wolves!! yea yall [need a fence] cuse two wolves would not be dead you know what im sayin

6. catchw8

catchw8 Big Dog

but yea your dogs a warrior an the yotes probably didnt want to mess with him they probably sniffed too close an 1 got snatched up and the others jumped in to see wasup lol bet they wish they could have stayed away

7. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

did you make sure those coyotes didn't have rabies?

8. Damn, good question. Is your dog current with his rabies? If he isn't, I'd be a little concerned just in case, I'd turn the 'yotes heads in for testing.

Did your dog get his head torn up at all? Even if he has his rabies shot, if he was bitten by an infected animal directly in the head he can still contract the rabies virus.

Scary shit that I didn't even think to bring up!

9. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Really,how common is this?Are the chances of this happening slim.Or is it pretty common?The reason i ask is because i want to start hunting coyote's (with dogs of course) and i figured with a rabies shot i wouldn't have to worry about that.

10. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

in a ten year span (2000-2009) in the state of Iowa, there was 594 cases of rabies reported. 443 were bats and skunks, followed by cat, cow, dog, horse, fox, and badgers in that order. zero in coyotes

11. Not common at all if you are talking about coyotes being rabid. Certainly not common if you are talking about the chances of your dog getting bitten in the head by a rabid animal (of any species) - but on the chance it did happen, yes the vaccines can be not effective and the animal can develop rabies.

I wouldn't let that put you off from hunting coyotes, or almost any other animal for that matter. Rabies is not common at all, and if an animal does have it you generally will see signs of it acting not right. I just think in the case of someone who has the corpses of two animals that bit up his dog, it could be smart to send the corpses into a local vet or animal control for testing - and I don't think he would have to pay for it, which is part of why I brought up that he might as well do it.

12. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

I was referring to the rabies vacc's not doing there job.And don't worry advina,its gonna take alot more than that to put me off on hunting coyote's.:D

13. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Yes, Shogun is UTD with all his shots.

Other than the obvious signs of injury from the encounter, the Coyotes looked healthy. Rabies is a concern but does not seem to be overly prevalent in the local canid population.

This is Shogun 5 days later. Looking not to bad in my opinion. Still is acting gamey on his right forelimb but the rest of the swelling has dissipated considerably.

[​IMG]

[/FONT] ​

14. gar

gar Banned

hi , can you post his ped ,and the ped of the female your planing to breed to him , thanks.

15. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Sugar Cane

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=343768

Shogun is an import from Cuba. He's an inbred Chinaman/Tonka cross. Unfortunately there is no peds online or ADBA paperwork on the dog. That's all I was told of his family tree. He's down off of Abernathy's Sport and an inbred Tonka gyp right from Mr. Anderson. Sport is Chinaman's littermate brother as the story goes.

He is 8 years old and our main stud dog.

We are looking at breeding this gyp to Shogun as well.

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=269031

None of these breedings are for sale so please don't ask. :D

16. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

i am glad the old man got the best of those coyotes. they picked the wrong chain spot to mess with. :D

17. Yeah that limb looks a little swollen and sore still, but he looks a lot better than I thought he might come out looking!

18. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

I know Adivina, I'm so pleased. He's such a healthy vigorous dog!

And yes BB, they certainly did LOL

19. gar

gar Banned

hi , are you still runing any farrelly blood.

20. Sea Serpent

Sea Serpent Big Dog

Nice looking dog, glad he came out on top, I don't know but if that happend to me I would go bonkers, go coyote hunting months on end, not saying this to be a tough guy just saying this for the love of the breed.