1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

an eye for a good pup

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by hnelson, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Icepick

Icepick Banned

How about everyone trying to stay on topic with this thread. Picking a good pup, and culling bad pups, are two different things.

2. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

There is nothing wrong with culling it's an essesntial part of any breeding program. However you let you're neighbor see you putting 2 bullets in your puppies head an see how fast animal control doesn't show up at you're house and charge you with animal cruelty. In the Us animals have more fucking rights than we do lol seriously this stuff is not a joke it's considered HUMANE to put a dog down at the vet through injection but you cannot just go around telling people you shoot animals in the head you will have serious criminal charges on you're ass. Look around people they are sentencing people to hard jail time for dog fighting these guys are getting more time than fuckig child moleters and you don't think they can come and charge you for shooting a puppy lol ok ... I don't know how it is in other countries but here in the Us you can't do that shit with all those crazy ass animal rights activists running around.

3. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Sorry Ice Pick I posted that before I saw your post I am out of this thread now lol

4. Damn people, make sure the parents are what you are looking for better yet are produceing what your looking for and pick the pup you like thats it, make sure its healthy pay the man or woman tuck the pup under your arm and go home...........

5. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Exactly Dread, and thats why I said the same damn thing earlier in the thread before all the Bullshit started.

NGK

6. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

There is no such thing as a eye for a good pup, because a pup cant be good LMAO.

Your best bet is too take the whole litter home LMAO

Dos Equis, stay thirsty my friends LMAO.

7. Kristi

Kristi Big Dog

The discussion on culling takes place between everyone who deals with animals on a large scale. Just look it up. Every forum out there from german Shepherds to fish talk about it. it's part of being involved with the breeding of animals. Culling does not always mean killing, killing is just one way that culling can take place.

cull (kl)
    tr.v. culled, cullĀ·ing, culls
    1. To pick out from others; select.
    2. To gather; collect.
    3. To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example).
    n.
    Something picked out from others, especially something rejected because of inferior quality.

8. good post!!

9. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Kristi I said that already one needs to be careful of what they say though online and they word things ...

10. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

I look for one out going My Last pick was the one I was told was trouble ,was told she climbs out ,drops down on a cushion next to the pen (It was in there living room) and they find her on the couch in the morning .. I've seen dogs that think seem to do better. I was looking at a litter years back of a great blood line and the guys sire was on the end of a chain and he couldn't stop it from barking and pulling on the chain no matter what he said to it.. I told him no thanks I don't want a stupid dog

11. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

If barking and pulling on a chain is signs of a stupid dog then theres a lot of stupid dogs around.

12. I was thinking the same thing.........

13. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Lol'...............

14. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

This was the most fun I had reading a thread. How to pick a pup LMAO. These are game breed animals. How to pick a pup! My advice if you are of the game class fancier, don't get a pup. But if game ain't of the importance an APBT is not for you period. You never know what the hell your getting period. Listen please get with a show breeder and let them pick for you. If your looking for game, buy a 10 month old or older. Yes they are more money but you get to see more. I HATE PUPS! lol

15. Icepick

Icepick Banned

I know a lot of doggers who feel the same about buying pups, as you do 87buick. But heres my problem with buying older dogs, they are usually being sold for a reason, and most of the time that reason, isnt a good one!!! I'd rather take my chances with a pup, keep most of the litter if you can properly care for them, and go from there. Call me superstitious, but when picking a pup from another breeder, I will try and stay away from the largest pup in the litter, if at all possible!! Just my personal experience, not scientific in anyway...

16. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Very good statement, as long as your looking for a real bulldog. I dont breed nor will I ever.
    A real deal kennel will see im true and also take there gamble. They cant keep them all
    Lol. Once im tried and true they will call me, I got one for you! Lol
    Ps: There are so many variables to this sport.

17. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Each to their own, I think the reason people like to breed there own working animals is because of the traits they wish to preserve in the line. Not everyone is breeding for the same traits, some breed for a hard crazy dog that eats up whatever is in front of them, some breed for smarts and endurance, its all about what the breeder likes in a gamedog. If you can trust the breeder and like his dogs it narrows down what your going to aquire in the long run but who knows if that grown dog is going to work the same as a hand raised pup will as the adult has never bonded to you as an individual.

NGK

18. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Ah lets separate the dog from the human, you see if you add human values to a dog you will mess him up. How? Simple they are not humans, they are animals. Love them like humans but treat them like like animals. You see I have spent many a years learning animals ( I was a bomb dog handler ). Keep it simple with them. Routine, routine, routine they are tools.But if you don't know how to use that tool ( to master it ) not that it can, it will backfire.

Yes a great breeder is a must that you know for dam sure knows how to make tools. I never said I dont like breeders. I just simply like living in the city so I will not add to the crazyness these dogs face everyday. Putting them at risk. This is a country thing. Dam I love the country.

Oh bonding, its something I mastered. I love these dogs, and fully understand that they are all different individually. The time and effort that I am willing to commit does not allow me to breed, there simply no time. Im focused man!

19. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Dont know nothing about bomb sniffing dogs, but I do know that most security agencies, and the police depts. prefer to start training with older dogs.
    But, its been my observation, that most pups that do bond with their "human", from a young age, will go that extra mile for their "human", just because of that special bond in the game dog world... I'll scoop up a pup at 5 weeks, if at all possible, just to really secure that bond. To each his own though... Variables,,,different lines, different conditioning ideas, different philosophies like 87buick stated, and all part of the sport...

20. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Yeah its a variables,but the road trips and times are all great experiences. I miss the good old days, now I have different priorities and I keep me a petbull LMAO.
    Keep it real with reality and reality will keep it real with you.