1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a emill

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wicked13, Dec 9, 2015.

1. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

2. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

3. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

How long should a dog be able to trot on an electric mill I'm used to a huffy and some old nikes

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Trot? I've gotten them trotting up to 2.5 hours. At a 4mph clip.

5. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Yeah only way I can describe it sorta like a horse not full run but not walking similar to jogging I suppose we'll my problem the tracks moving under so if he slows to the back I dunno if he's tired or lazy when he runs next to the bike he never seems to tire to much or want to stop except for the occasion when he completely stops to piss on a tree and I'm left almost flipping the handle bars

6. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

I like trot the best!! Endurance!!

7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Google 'steady state running'. Basically it is the speed he can cover a certain distance in a certain time. If he speeds up he won't as far because he will tire. Slow him down and he can go further/longer just not as fast.

He runs a mile in X amount of time at X amount of mph. After working his ability to go further and faster will increase. Slow him down and he can o further for longer.

The emill works best when ramping up to steady state runs. S

8. Red Cemtre

Red Cemtre Big Dog

I think the word you're looking for is canter, above a trot but not a full gallop

9. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Gotcha I'm looking it up as I type there's steady state then tempo state running
    Only difference seems to me is the duration they run the given amount of miles at a certain time but I'll set up a tymer and start trying it that way

10. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Canter sounds better!!!

11. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

CANTERLINE??? I prefer the TROT...

12. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Why not jog then or swift walk

13. Red Cemtre

Red Cemtre Big Dog

To use horse terms, a jog is the slowest speed of the trot just above a walk. The lope is the slowest speed of the canter just above a trot. For building endurance in dogs I like a trot just at the point before they break into a lope for long distances. I'll then do a lope for 25% of the exercise, bring it back down to the trot and finish with a walk for a cool down. I work mine next to the truck since they love chewing moving bicycle tires and I've ended up eating dirt more times than I'm happy with

14. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Makes sense to me I'll try it out I usually just run em on a bike so the dog controls the pace but got a Emill for 20 bucks I had to mugyver it a lil but runs fine

15. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Just set the speed at the fastest you can without the dog having to break into a full run. This is usually between 3-5. Then leave it there. When the dog starts to stumble or break gait yank it off. Eventually it'll be able to do 10 straight miles at that pace. Much better than hand walking.

Just make sure you empty the dog out before you put it on the mill or you're gonna get a conveyor belt of shit dumped on your floor.

16. Red Cemtre

Red Cemtre Big Dog

Mental image of shit flying everywhere made me spit my coffee haha

17. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Lol yeah I have it sitting in my living room so if they decided to shit I'd end up having a shit painted wall but I always walk the dogs a few miles before they goes on it

18. redwar

redwar Big Dog

Bwhahahaha that was one funny visual