1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Apbt and Staff throwbacks?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by PitNoob, Jun 10, 2012.

1. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

Every now and then, I would see a staffordshire bull terrier with a longer, smoother coat than normal. Every time I see one, I'd think to myself that the dog is a mix. However, the dog's pedigree substantiates its heritage and states otherwise. Recently, I've seen an apbt/amstaff cross that has the same coat (TnT/Ruffian). The dog is pedigreed and the owner said he is DNA profiled. I'm wondering, is this some sort of throwback? Has anyone ever encountered this before, with staffs and apbts?

2. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I am not sure what you are getting at you mentioned TNT/Ruffian TNT foundation was a mix of game blood and staff blood. Ruffian is an Amstaff bloodline but the foundation was based off working dogs. I have owned a dog off TNT blood and to me it still looked like it had Amstaff in it the dog didn't look like your typical game bred dog but her coat was short not longer tail was also a bit long.

3. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

Yeah, the dog is TNT/Ruffian, I am aware of the bloodline. I know that TnT is a mix of apbt and amstaff blood. As for the dog's coat, I mean like longer and smoother.

4. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

long haired english staff.jpg

look at the dog's tail and his coat, it is longer than your regular staff. I've seen a few staffs like that before, but first time seeing an apbt/staff cross with hair like that.

5. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Oh yeah lol there is a lot of hair on the dogs tail .. Well you know you can't always trust papers and I have heard even DNA tests can easily be rigged. I don't ever remember seeing an APBT or Amstaff or cross that had long hair like that ....

6. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

I've seen this trait regularly in show staffs....some of them are even ch.'s under AKC. It is supposed to be a genetic trait that comes up every now and then if they are closely inbred too much.

7. RRL

RRL Top Dog

This dog in the picture is a sbt/apbt cross?

8. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

No, it is a pure staff. I just posted the pic as an example. I did a google search on staffordshire bull terrier ch's and found the ones with long hair. He is a pure bred and is a stud dog for a kennel.

9. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

btw, not for nothing but I've talked to a few American bulldog breeders and they've told me that every now and then, this gene also occurs in ambulldogs, especially those that have been line bred to deep. Outcrosses sometimes have the long haired trait, but it is much rarer. Is this a throw back to their ancestors, or just a mutation?

10. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

That dog doesn't look like its coat is any longer than any other staff I have seen, yes it's tail has more hair on it than some but most show dogs have their tails trimmed for showing anyway.
    Does it really matter?

11. jacko

jacko CH Dog

the dog you posted has a normal coat and tail . as hero says some folks trim the tails of show dogs.
    some bulldogs do have extremely thin "rat tails" which occur naturally. and when you say "throwback", throwback to what exactly ?

12. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Just think the same ...throwback to what ?

13. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

throwback as in a throwback to a recessive, long haired gene. Not as in their ancient heritage per say, just a recessive gene.

14. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

There's a few staffs that actually has coats that are like this and it is longer and softer. They also tend to be more inclined to shed than the typical coat. As far as the dog itself, doesn't really matter. Just curious since I've seen a few staffs like this and recently an apbt/amstaff cross with it.

15. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Hey pitnoob, my staffs coat is a little longer than some and yes he does shed loads, drives the wife cracy, lol...I have noticed that red staffs seem to generally have closer coats, not sure why?

16. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

can you post a pic of your staff?

17. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Here ya go,
    Couple of pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

That's the exact type of coat I am talking about, it is longer, smoother, and plushier. On top of that, this type of coat sheds a lot. I always thought this was a unique trait seen only in staffs, but I recently saw a TnT/Ruffian dog with this type of coat. I'm wondering, is this a recessive trait in these dogs?

19. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Hey pitnoob,
    It is a bit longer but I wouldn't say it was smoother, his coat feels quite harsh. I do prefer the smoother shorter coats actually. Hopefully when I get a bitch she'll have one. Got any pics of the TnT/Ruffian dogs with this coat?

20. northdogger

northdogger Big Dog

Alot of the SBTs Ive seen have that type of rough coat. Typical short haired terrier coat. But the APBTs Ive seen usually got a more nice and smoother coat. Not so rough as Herodog1s SBT.