1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

apbt Ban

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BishopBullyZ13, Jan 13, 2009.

1. BishopBullyZ13

BishopBullyZ13 Big Dog

Okay ppl here my situation.. My Mother had the city Judge's wife at her house the other night when i went there. and i over heard a conversation about a purposal to ban the breed in the city. Now my question is to you... What could i say to this lady in a perfesional manner. that might give her some thought into not... The neighboring city has already banned them. I had alot of things going thru my head when she said this... i didnt wanna just run in there and start ramblin off with a Bunch stuff...Im planing on taking one of my dogs to show her how truely nice theese dogs really are.. I also wonder is there like a grandfathr clause, where if your dog has already been registerd with the city before the law passed can they still ban them?

2. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

I think you need to be a little more prepared. I think you need to get suited up and with Powerpoint presentation about the breed that you need to hold over your local commissioners. People who make the decsions. Get organized when you do it. go in there with a hundred voters who own the breed that would be outraged if they passed any BSL. That would be a good way to get there attention. As far as grandfather clause that depends on how hard they want to go..

3. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

damn hemis looking good B

4. BishopBullyZ13

BishopBullyZ13 Big Dog

hmmmmmm.i dont know 100...mayb 20.....but anyhow.....any specific points ( or topics on the power point) that i should focus on?......(i aint a genius at that kinda stuff) mayb if i could get sum1 to make it, n i'll present it?.......What happens if they do get banned? they dont just come and snatch up your dog do they??????

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Most times they will alow you to be grandfathered in but once the dogs you have die, no more can be brought into the city. Thats not always the case it really comes down to what your city council proposes....

6. StopBSL

StopBSL Top Dog

There are a lot of different points you can address. Specifics can be easily dictated by WHY they want to outlaw the dogs. Is it because of a local incident with a bite? Or do they want to quell dog fighters? Or, is it just someone with a grudge?

Either way some key points to address can be found all over my website www.stop-bsl.com including these and many more:

"Breed bans just don't make sense. Especially if you are familiar with the American Temperament Testing Society. This group has compiled an in depth study which gauges different breeds on their temperament and stability. More than 500 American Pit Bull Terriers have taken the involved test and 84.3% (as of 9/12/08) of the dogs tested passed. Many smaller breeds have a lower passing rate."

"Preventing Dog Bites
    Teach children basic safety around dogs and review regularly:​

• Do not approach an unfamiliar dog.
    • Do not run from a dog and scream.
    • Remain motionless (e.g., "be still like a tree") when approached by an unfamiliar dog.
    • If knocked over by a dog, roll into a ball and lie still (e.g., "be still like a log").
    • Do not play with a dog unless supervised by an adult.
    • Immediately report stray dogs or dogs displaying unusual behavior to an adult.
    • Avoid direct eye contact with a dog.
    • Do not disturb a dog who is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
    • Do not pet a dog without allowing it to see and sniff you first.
    • If bitten, immediately report the bite to an adult. "
    "• BSL has been ruled unconstitutional in Court venues across the United States on grounds ranging from vagueness, to an infringement of property rights, to equal treatment, equal protection.
    • Dogs have been the domesticated traditional property of human beings for well over thirty-five thousand years. This tradition gives legal standing to dog owners based upon the IX Amendment of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution of the United States of America.
    • BSL violates the rights granted under the IV Amendment to the Bill of Rights.
    • BSL violates the rights granted under the V Amendment of the Bill of Rights.
    • BSL violates the rights granted under VI Amendment to the Bill of Rights.
    • BSL violates the rights granted under VIII Amendment to the Bill of Rights.
    • BSL violates the rights granted under XIV Amendment to the Bill of Rights.
    • BSL creates a whole new criminal class, the dog owner
    • BSL sets a legal precedent that unchallenged empowers the enacting body to add any, or all other dog breeds, or even domestic species of animals to the prohibition on ownership."

More info can be found on my blog. . . http://www.stop-bsl.com/blog/unitedbark.html

"Here are some facts for you to ingest. Breed specific legislation is a growing problem. It in no way solves the problems which cause a danger to the community like irresponsible ownership and violation of existing fair laws. What it does accomplish is to criminalize innocent people based on information supplied by biased sources and verified by other biased sources which has no factual basis."

"Dogs are the property of their owners. Seizure of a dog based on breed and without trial is a violation of both the 4th and 5th Amendments."

I could go on all day. But, if you want to know real and effective ways to stop bsl from being passed in your community you should really read the pit bull owner's survival guide.

https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/gb.php?ii=134547&c=ib&aff=34440&ev=b7b3ba0616

We can make you detailed petitions if you would like. You can see our handiwork on our website under "petitions" as well.

Most importantly; Act quickly, be prepared, be professional and don't give up.

7. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Good post, STOPBSL.........good ideas.

8. Renee

Renee Big Dog

Often our dogs are their own best advocates :)