1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

APBT x Fila Brasileiro Experiences

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by NewSchoolDogMan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

So I took the car out to the garage to get an oil change and saw this black dog about 20 inches at the withers that I thought was an apbt, except much larger. The dog was 85 lbs. and just over 2 years of age and resembled a large apbt, sort of like a black mayday or colby's pinscher. This dog also kept on himself, but he was great looking so I couldn't help but ask the guy about the dog. The dog came over and once he saw that the garage owner and I are friends, he allowed to be petted and was wagging his tail like crazy. I asked the guy how is he bred and he said that the dog's mother is an apbt that is 100% Gambler's Virgil blood and the father is a working fila Brasileiro, not the huge 200 lb. showbred ones. Apparently, this dog is one hell of a guard dog and has stopped two intruders already from breaking into his garage. He also said that the dog is friendly towards anyone if he is friendly towards them, but when he isn't around the dog is aloof and not trusting of strangers, but has the ability to discern who is deserving of getting bitten and who is harmless and just passing by. The dog is also really independant and keeps to himself most of the time, but when it is time to work, the dogs' drive is crazy. This sounds exactly like my type of guard dog. Does anyone else have experience with this type of, for lack of a better term, bandog cross? I've always liked the bandogs and have considered one a long time as a guard dog, but I prefer medium sized dogs since large dogs take up a lot of space, though this is the first time I've seen a bandog cross like this. If anyone can share some of their experience with this type of cross, I'd appreciate it.

2. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Big Dog

I had a pitbull/fila mix back in the days and it was the worst most insecure dog i have ever owned he just didnt know who he was. Weird behaviour like no other so its not my mix. I just dont believe in any pitbull mixes sorry but this one is for me one of the worst...I was glad the fucker got hit by a car.

Quasi

3. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

Is he the second dog in your pics?

This one?

[​IMG]

4. damon

damon Banned

No this is gr ch dendy I believe, a pure bulldog

5. Deniz

Deniz Big Dog

6. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Big Dog

Indeed the dog in the pic is Gr ch dendy one of my favorites ill see if i have some picks of my fila mix dog. I might have deleted them all since the dog was shit ;):D

7. venom

venom Top Dog

Why the cross though?

Filas are what they are for a good reason. You probably lose quite a few qualities when you cross with a APBT including its size and its scent and tracking ability, no?

To my knowledge, people cross APBT's into mastiffs to add some fire so the mastiff will work like it was originally intended.... I never heard of Filas not being good at what they were intended to do.

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Good post venom. If you get a Fila from a good kennel you won't have to mix anything in. Not to mention that ...

1: APBTs & any mixes thereof are subject to BSL.

2: As an APBT mix it will be considered a "pit bull" by law & you will be liable for any damages the dog causes, to include biting an intruder.

That'd be a kick in the crotch huh? Your APBT x Fila you got for personal &/or property protection bites an intruder & YOU end up paying all the intruder's medical bills & risk getting sued! Stuff people don't think about ...

Blessings ...

9. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

Well the Fila Brasileiro is probably the greatest of all guard dog breeds, but thing is, a Fila isn't something you'd want in your home if you are a social person. I am a sociable person so I'd like a guard dog that is very protective and is really independant, but one that is also accepting of my friends instead of just tolerates them there ya know what I mean? When I have people over, I don't want to worry about them getting too wild and then getting bit by my fila. Hence why I am considering a bandog, but I'd prefer something along the 80-100 # range, but most bandogs are larger than that. The fila apbt mix I saw was my ideal guard dog, but it is the only one I've seen and interacted with.

10. venom

venom Top Dog

Just crate em.

11. popper

popper CH Dog

then go with a doberman... seems like it would suit you rneeds without having the apbt name attachted to it... if it bites somebody your ass is a liability if it resembles a pitbull

12. Dogman#1

Dogman#1 Big Dog

Hey guys, sorry to revive a thread from the past like this but I saw it while searching around the internet and figured I would chime in. 1st off I am a huge bulldog fan and have owned many in the past. to me one of the greatest dogs you can own is a well bred pitbull. I now own and sometimes breed Fila Brasileiros (CAFIB type only). The Fila is the best at what it does hands down. that being said it is def. not a breed for everyone, infact it is not a breed for most. A well bred Fila with proper temp will (if given the chance) attack a stranger and is intensly loyal to its owners. If you are a social butterfly your Fila must be either crated or put out when someone that you dont want hurt comes over. If you do INTENSE obedience training it is possible to have the dog around strangers but only if you are 100% sure you have complete and total control over every single thing that happens. crossing a Fila with anything could be disasterous especially with an APBT, DONT DO IT! Filas are instinctual protection dogs and they make the decision whether or not the stranger is a bad guy or not....most, if not all of the time a stranger will not be tolerated at all. As with any breed there are diff. bloodlines that have a sharper temp then others and some bloodlines that have zero temp. I find that the ones that are sharp (as they are meant to be) are also the most stable and some bloodlines have obvious mixing which could make them unstable. Please do not promote any type of bandog type mixing with filas as the breed is already full of bad breeders and specimens.
    Thanks

13. che

che Top Dog

I have a frend he has a lot fila brasileiros and some presa canarios from irema curto. I love these two dogs but filas i dont trust them. Very strong dogs and believe they dont love the peopel when these dogs not know him they cant wait to attack you.......

14. Dogman#1

Dogman#1 Big Dog

forgot to mention...The Fila works off of different drives with very little prey drive and an intense amount of defense drive. Please do alot of research before contemplating one of these dogs.
    a lil side note...some breeders of bull breeds get Filas to protect their "stock" from jealous breeders or would be theives as filas form a very strong bond with the animals in their home as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  15. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

my uncle breed fila s for along time.. now he had cancer and can no longer walk good annymore so the last years they slow the dogs down.
    he has always breed for himzelf and other breeders.
    his dogs where very high protective and bigheaded.

i dont like the fila because they ar to protecktive and to strong to handel.
    and i dont think you need to breed them if you dont know what your doing so dont mix up if you cant take responsebiltity of your own suply.;)

16. My mate has a fila he has owned 2 of them the one he has now is a good guard dog for a family home but very people friendly too anyone who is introduced to the dog can pet him and he is just a big lapdog in the house.

so im probably jus basing my opinion on the few filas i have met rather than the other badass filas out there but i dont see what the fuss is about i like the dog he is really charming loves to swim but is too much dog and too much hard walk on the lead for me and altho he is no pushover he would be no match for any small, game dog.

i agree with whoever basicaly said breeding mastiffs to apbts does nothing in particular other than make a big dog with no sense of purpose. worst of both worlds in my experience with mastiff crosses.

some do look good though i suppose, but then bull mastiffs look good its just most average dog owners couldnt handle one for more than a day.

people who want a big dog without the drive of a big dog should buy labs not start breeding mastiff crosses though. nothing wrong with labs- jus sayin.

17. scooter

scooter Big Dog

I know an APBT dogman in Texas that breeds and trains these Filas. They scare the bejesus outta me. I have never been afraid of any dam dog but holy cow these are crazy. They guard his pits and have snagged some would be thieves coming in his back yard fence. He has had some awesome APBTs and is the real deal with them but the Filas arent for me.

18. Dogman#1

Dogman#1 Big Dog

Cut n paste, That is most definetly not the way a Real Fila is suppose to act... let me guess...Not CAFIB lines, right? the CBKC (AKA) Fila Americano lines are beyong worthless. Let's put it this way the CAFIB Fila is to the Game bred bull dog as the CBKC/Fila Americano is to the "American Bully". Bottom line if you dont have a CAFIB Fila you just dont have the real deal. Sorry if I upset someone by that.

19. Dogman#1

Dogman#1 Big Dog

One more thing...when researching prospective breeders of Filas dont bother going to craigslist, newspaper ads, ebay classifieds or pet finder most of what you find there is garbage, you might get lucky everyonce in a while but 99% of the time no. Stay away from ads that claim "rare colors" or "largest"...the "rare colors" that they are referring to are either black, blue/grey or white all of which are actual disqualifications under the CAFIB standard and almost always comes from poor breedings and even poorer examples as breeding stock. If you are looking for a bargain all I can say is cheap is expensive but never expect to pay more than 1200-1700 for a good quality pup (more for an adolescant or adult). The parents should be health tested w/ OFA and better come with a written health guarantee for hips/elbows for at least 2 yrs. If both parents passed a full CAFIB Evaluation it is even better. any questions about Filas feel free to contact me.

20. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

I'm familiar with the CAFIB and CBKC dogs. The fila/apbt cross that I met was a dog from game lines crossed into CAFIB lines, hence the small size of the animal. I've met some real deal CAFIB lines as well as the CBKC stuff, the two don't even look the same. The CBKC dogs regularly hit pass 160 lbs. while a real deal CAFIB fila is much smaller in stature and weight, also being more houndish in appearance rather than a bulky mastiff like appearance. Most CAFIB males I've been around were roughly 24-26 inches at the withers and were pretty light, around 110-115 lbs. The CBKC dogs I've seen were massive and were probably around 28-32 inches and 160-170 lbs.