1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Are you a back yard breeder?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by prettyfulpitbull, May 21, 2006.

1. prettyfulpitbull

prettyfulpitbull Bullylover06

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle colSpan=4 height=111>Are you a Backyard Breeder?
    Originally written by Sunny Arruda (South Bay Purebred Rescue)
    Personalized by C. Guss (Bastian's Place - Feline & Canine Rescue)

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1029 colSpan=5 height=16></TD></TR><TR><TD width=254 colSpan=2 height=1677></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap height=1677> Over 10 million homeless animals are euthanised every year in the United States. The death could easily
    be stopped by spaying and neutering your pets.

Euthanasia is the single largest cause of death for dogs in the Untied States. Each year 27 million dogs
    are born. Five to ten million are classified as 'Surplus' and destroyed (killed). That's about one million a
    month. These animals are those who 'must' be killed simply because they are unwanted. These numbers do
    not include the millions of dead dogs scraped off the streets, or the hundreds of thousands of abandoned,
    severely neglected or abused dogs who never make it to a shelter to be counted and killed.

Most of these animals are young and healthy; in fact, it is estimated that around 80% are less than one
    year of age. The problem is simple: we have too many dogs with too few homes available. The solution we
    have opted for is to kill the 'extras'. This solution has been considered acceptable by default, as though there
    were no other way to control the crisis and we spend over $1 billion every year destroying 'Man's Best Friend'.

Why is this happening in the United States today? The largest contributors to this problem are Backyard
    Breeders and Puppy Mills.

The name 'Backyard Breeder' has become very unpopular. Nobody wants to admit they are a backyard
    breeder. Many people don't even know they are part of the problem. The only way to stop the needless killing
    of dogs is to stop the needless breeding of them.

Every breed of dog recognized by the AKC, UKC or CKC has a written standard, a blueprint of what the
    dog should look and act like. These standards were written so that all would know what a quality example of
    the breed is and strive to produce dogs that meet or exceed the standard in health, temperament and
    appearance. To be sure that you are breeding dogs that meet these standards, your dogs must be judged by
    people who have a lifetime of experience among the breed. Do you know the standard of your purebred dog?
    Does your dog meet this standard according to an AKC judge? If not, your dog is pet quality. Your dog is to
    be loved, cherished, trained, cared for, spoiled and bragged about but it is NEVER to be bred. No matter how
    cute or sweet the dog may be, if it is not up to the standard, you have no business breeding it.

If you have a purebred dog, this does not give you the right to breed it. Most purebred dogs are not
    breeding quality. If you breed your pet quality dog, you are a backyard breeder. Whether you breed the dog
    in your backyard, garage, living room or an expensive hotel room, the term is still backyard breeder. If your pet
    quality dog has papers (AKC, UKC, CKC), that's nice but it doesn't change anything. You still don't have the
    right to breed it.

If your pet quality dog cost you $500 be glad you had the money to afford it. You still don't have the right to
    breed it.

Do you think that you can make your $500 back if you breed your pet quality dog or if your pet is a color or
    a size that isn't the breed standard but you just know everyone will want to buy a pup if you breed her? Shame
    on you! Now you are a backyard breeder with the purpose of peddling pups for bucks.

If the price for a tail dock or an ear crop may seem high to you, what are you going to do when your
    beloved pet needs an emergency C section? Will you even be there to know if she is in trouble? Would you
    even be able to recognize the signs before it was too late?

And if you still want to breed your pet quality dog but need to ask who is supposed to cut off the tails and
    ears, ask yourself "What in the hell am I thinking?"

Do you think genetic testing is something they used in the OJ trial but has nothing to do with your breeding
    career? You are a backyard breeder.

Backyard breeders sell pup's that aren't up to the standard of the breed. They do this for many reasons.
    None are good enough reasons to contribute to the killing of the dogs. Period.

Backyard breeders will swear all of their pups went to good homes. They believe this but it's not true.
    Some may have been luck enough to go to a good home but more than half will end up dead, in a shelter,
    alone on a cold table with a needle sticking out of their leg. Some of those good homes will get tired of the
    dog and will just give it away to the first person willing to take it. Some of your beloved dog's children will end
    up living alone in a backyard, barking all night, cold and neglected until the owner gets complaints and then the
    pup will be dead. Some will be starved and beaten. Some will be bred until they die from it. Some will end up
    in a rescue and I will have to find space for them. I will have to teach them that not all humans are bad. I will
    remove their fleas and get rid of their worms. I will have them vaccinated for the first time in their lives because
    the previous owners neglected to remember. I will spay or neuter the animal to ensure it is not snatched up by
    someone looking to make a quick buck. I will do all of these things that the previous owner should have done
    because they didn't want to.

Backyard breeders are not responsible pet owners. They think they love the dogs but that isn't really true
    because they don't want to bother with all that it takes to breed ethically. They love feeling important when they
    say "I breed purebred dogs." but breeding pet quality dogs is not something to be proud of. It is a shame on
    our society. It is the reason for the death that occurs in shelters. Why do you want to be part of that?

Do you want to be respected? Spay or neuter your pet dog. There is really no other way. The kinds of
    homes that you want for your pets puppies do not want to purchase a pup from you. They are looking for
    responsible, respected breeders who are doing something for the breed as a whole. Most of those who will
    come running to buy one of your pups are the kind of people I wouldn't give a nasty, aggressive dog to. They
    are people who will turn your sweet little puppy into a shelter once the novelty wears off. That is a fact.

Spay or neuter your pets now and tell everyone you know to do the same. Leave breeding to people who
    are doing something to better the breed. These people breed for quality, not quantity.

Want to be a respected breeder? Do your research and find an individual who is an educated and
    respected member of the dog breeding world. Ask this person to be your mentor. You need to know what you
    are doing before you are even ready to begin. Have a savings account ready for any and all problems that you
    will encounter. Purchase only top quality bred dogs and plan on showing them. Do everything that your mentor
    tells you, he/she has the experience and is not just trying to push you around. Be sure that everything you do
    as a breeder meets the standards which have been set for responsible breeders. Or, Don't Breed
    !

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

I think that is major problem with many ppl. They feel just because they have a "pure bred" dog, they think they should breed to make their money back from the costs of their dog. I know many ppl who has done this with various breeds. They don't care about where the pups end out at just as long as they make a quick buck. Shoot, there are way too many ppl getting a dog for the wrong reasons and they have no guilt of puttin them to the pound if they dont want it anymore. I see a dog as a kid, they see you as their parent. So how are they going to just give up on their kid. Its real sad.

3. prettyfulpitbull

HA HA My dogs act just like my kids.This morning they tore up my living room along with my 4 year old.LMAO.They are rotten!!!

4. It's pretty bad around here, you see it a lot in the papers, 'purebred pit pups, brindle, no papers, $250' and there's always at least 4 in the shelter that were either picked up, or turned in.

5. WINSTROL

WINSTROL Pup

All Are Back Yard Bred I Never Bred 1 In Front Yard .....then Id Be A Front Yard Breeder Lmao..........................

6. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

To tell you the truth, I wouldn,t have it in me to give pups up after having them for 8 or 10 weeks even knowing they were going to the best of homes. I grow fastly attached, even after having my pup home after the first day, there would not have been any amount of money someone could of offered me for him. I don,t think i,d be cut out to be a breeder, or would I make a good foster Dad,, I,d end up keeping every dog I fostered,,lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  7. tickdog

tickdog Pup

what the f... if it was not for byb would you have your dog

8. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

this is true, if the above was directed at me, but did I say anything about BYB or any breeder???No. , Just said I wouldn,t be able to do it being as I get quickly attached to animals. If this wasn,t directed at me,, then ignore this message ,lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  9. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

If it wasn't for BYB, then thousands of healthy, stable bulldogs wouldn't be put to death every year.

If it wasn't for BYB, temperamentally unsound pit bulls wouldn't be (mass) produced.

If it wasn't for BYB, my life would be less hectic- I'd only have 1 or 2 dogs, not 7 rescues/fosters.

So yeah, I guess even BYB contribute something to the dog world :rolleyes:

10. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Tell him GSD! How can one actually support BYB on this site?

11. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Some of us have more sense than that. I can tell you that if it weren't for BYBs, I wouldn't have had to save some nice young dogs off the street. Most recent was a beautiful young APBT mix who was probably a year old and had already whelped a litter.

12. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

I don't see how anyone in general can willingly support a BYB- unless they are one. Hmm. . . Of course, who would actually admit to it?

I'm going to stop. I just spent 8 hours busting my ass at a rescue building kennels in 90 degree weather. Like I said, if it weren't for BYB- I'd be clean, smelling good, hydrated, and not caked in 3 inches of dirt.

13. TRENCHHOUND

TRENCHHOUND Big Dog

I THINK TICKDOG IS Saying Most All Dog Are Bred In The Backyard A Better Term Is Peddler

14. b_dog58

b_dog58 Big Dog

If not for byb's I wouldn't have had to rescue either of my dogs. Abandoned at 3 weeks old by some scumbag. If not for byb's I wouldn't have been waking up every 2 hours to bottle feed the two of them puppy formula, (at $23.00 for a can of it!!!) But I guess it was all worth them growing up with no mother. Thanks bybs!!!!

15. Suki

Suki Guest

BYB help to contribute to this problem

http://www.borntodiepets.com/html/video.htm

watch the vids

The Backyard Breeders' and Puppy Millers' Big Book of Old Excuses
    © Denna Pace 2001

<CENTER><TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="70%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">1. When called on bad breeding practices, ALWAYS claim that you are merely an innocent posting as a favor to a friend or family member.

2. Point out that everybody you know breeds this way, therefore it must be okay.

3. Claim that "snobby show breeders" are only criticizing you because they want to corner the market on puppy profit.

4. Claim that a Champion in the pedigree is just as good as 56 Champions in the pedigree. Not that it matters, because you doubt that there is such a thing as a dog with 56 champions in the pedigree.

5. Claim that you are just trying to produce good pets, therefore good pets are all you need for breeding.

6. When asked about health testing, enthusiastically point out that your bitch had a health checkup before breeding.

7. Be sure to mention that you do not need to run such health tests as OFA, CERF, thyroid, cardiac, patellae, etc., because your dogs look healthy and had no visible problems at their last vet checkup.

8. Point out that these tests cost too much and would cut into your profit margin. Be sure to champion the right of poor people to breed dogs.

9. Confidently assure worried rescuers that no puppy you produce, or any of their puppies or grand puppies or great-grandpuppies will end up in shelters because you have a bunch of friends who have told you that they'd like a pup from your bitch.

10. Point out that you don't need Championships or working titles on your dogs because you are breeding for temperament and your dog is really sweet.

11. Silence those annoying people who ask about your health guarantee by assuring them that buyers can return any sick puppies and you will replace
    it with another pup as long as it got sick within a certain amount of time of sale and as long as you don't think the buyer did something to make the puppy sick.

12. If your breed or line is rare (or you have a "rare" color, or believe your breed or color is rare), be sure to remind everyone that you do not need to show, temperament test, or health test your breeding stock because you are doing the world a service by continuing this "rare" breed/color/line.

13. No matter what anyone else says, claim that you obviously know what you are doing because you've been breeding for a long time. Point to the hundreds of puppies you've pumped out over the years as proof.

14. If this is your first attempt at breeding, make sure to remind everyone that you HAVE to breed your dog because how else are you going to learn how to breed?

15. Assure everyone that your dog does not need to be shown because you were assured by someone at Petsmart/the park/the vet's office/a friend that your dog is a perfect example of the breed.

16. Always remember that "rare" colors, oversized or undersized dogs, and mixes of popular breeds are great selling points. Anyone who doesn't think so is obviously not in tune with their customers' wishes.

17. Claim that your dogs are better because they are not inbred, as inbreeding obviously produces sick/stupid/deformed dogs. If breeding poo [as in "Cock-a-Poo," "Peek-a-Poo," etc.] dogs or other mutts, always point to "hybrid vigor" as proof of your dogs' superiority.

18. Remind everyone that you do not need a waiting list because your puppies are cute.

19. Assure everyone that your puppies will not end up in shelters because they are cute.

20. Claim that YOUR breed never ends up in shelters in your area, therefore your puppies will never end up in shelters.

21. If asked why you think your dogs are breeding quality, point out that they "have papers." Extra points awarded for using the phrase "AKC Certified." Double points if those papers come from the Continental Kennel
    Club.

22. If you sell a sick puppy, always blame the owners for making it sick. If the owners are clearly not responsible, blame their vet. (see #11)

23. If presented with irrefutable evidence proving you wrong on any excuses you have used, pretend your server did not receive the post/e-mail.

24. Claim that none of the rules of ethical breeding apply to you because you only intend to have one litter and therefore aren't a "real" breeder.

25. If all else fails, tell everyone who criticizes you to "get a life."

Written by Denna Pace . It was compiled by reading the horrible BYB ads on rec.pets.dogs.breed. Please credit when quoting.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>​

16. prettyfulpitbull

OMG that is swo true.I had a breeder do some of these things to me!!!

17. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

BYB'S are the #1 major problem, in it for the $. They keep me in a job & with dogs.

18. Attila

Attila Guest

Wow Suki. It is hard to read in pink but that is true and funny at the same time. I have heard those words many times before. Ironic. I breed Gretchen five weeks ago with a fine male. I searched for months to find that one male that suited my standards. I have also found one for Baby when I deside to breed her a male out of Texas. Very fine dog with great qualities. I have not found one for Night Shade and am not looking but if one shows itself as the first two I will put that on a list as well. It will be a year before I am ready to breed again. I don't like having so many people wanting a dog out of this litter though. I don't even know if I will use the same Stud again till I see the pups. But I suppose If I go in order and all the list will take care of its own and others will just have to wait longer or go someplace else. I had people giving me cards on one of my females and I have not even thought about breeding her yet. I am still up in the air about Baby. I don't believe a kennel owner could posibly make his or her money back. I have 6100 in dogs, 28,000 in kennel, land, office, vet supplies, legal paperwork, insurance, feed, bedding, dog houses, dog toys, bones, trucks, van, trailer, crates. It will be a hundred years or so before I could even break even but I doubt that it could happen even in that time. I don't make money at it. I don't even get started but it is a tax write off and I get to enjoy my dogs and every couple of years a litter to play with. I made my money in the Army and retired that is my basic pay. I own a business that takes care of the rest. Any one who plans to get rich selling dogs better not leave their day jobs. Back when I had stud dogs I was the same way. I had to deside why it would be in my interest to let my dog service someones dog.
    any way Suki has put up a bunch of good points. I did find humor in it and I know it isn't funny but the funny thing to me is I have met those folks that say those very things. Also one I didn't see was the name dropping like gator, razor, etc. You get the papers and the pedigree and your not seeing it. Mine are pure and I mostly hunt with mine. However I have been getting into the pulling and intertaining showing dogs. I used to do it all the time with AKC but got tired of the back stabbing and all that came with it. Every one thought that there dogs pooped golden turds. I find your way of saying things is a little like mine. Putting out a point with a touch of sacastic humor added. I love it.

19. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

Im a front yard breeder. I make all breedings in the front yard with a lil Bary White and some bubly.

20. tickdog

tickdog Pup

i do not support byb but the line had to start some where.