1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

At Stud By Private Treaty

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by jay_cook_79, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

I think that this is another difference betweeen performance breeding and pedigree breeding. a lot more things com einto play when breeding for pedigree/ conformation. certain lines are known for certain traits. and if someone is outcrossing to a line to clean up a certain trait obviously the person who has the cleaner line isnt going to want to bring that blood to thier yard, even though you can understand why the breeding would be beneficial.
    I guess its situational to me; i have absolutely seen cases where the breeding would be good but I wouldnt want one.

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I see what you are saying. And no it does not mean the breeding is any less important just because I don't like it.

But what I AM saying is that if I don't like it, I'm not going to stamp my name and approval on it by allowing my dog to be used in the breeding. Again, I could care less about the money they are offering.......they can go offer it to someone else with the same or similar lines. If I don't like it and approve of it, the answer is "No."

3. fitzpit

fitzpit Big Dog

i understand the situation you describe - but 9 out of 10 thats not the case.

i think if you dont want a pup - you shouldnt do the breeding for money because there is usually a good reason you dont want the pup in the first place ;)

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I agree.

Just because it's a stud dog and you never have to deal with the outcome (some people's way of thinking), those resulting puppies still have your name stamped all over them. Some people just like the idea of making money and never having to deal with the mess.

5. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

YOu guys definately make good points. I agree by the way, but have to play devils advocate.

SO what about a breeding that you like, and approve of, but you simply have no room for an addition?

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

If someone wants to breed a bitch to one of my males yet I have no room to take a pup, provided that they meet all of my above-mentioned criteria then I will do the breeding for them and just keep tabs on the resulting pups. I don't need the money from it. Just do the dogs right and make sure to put a good name out there. :)

7. fitzpit

fitzpit Big Dog

simple...

be a co-owner lol

8. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Can't do anything but repsect a comment like that.

9. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

If it was a breeding that I thought would be a great cross, but I just didn't have room for another pup, then I would definitely stud my dog out anyway, because though I might not get a pup, I'd be putting good stock out there.

10. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

so your saying before you would hurt someones feelings by telling them no you would breed anyway and just take the money regardless of the quality of that breeding?

11. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

What are you reading? I tell people no all the time, fuck thier feelings, i dont compromise my views on a breeding for anyone. I tell my own family and friends no, so a random breeder doesnt have a prayer of swaying me.
    Like I said initially, ANY breeding that isnt focused on bettering the previous generation shouldnt be done. regardless of cost, profit or greed.

12. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

There are many dogs I like outside the ones I feed. Of all lines as well. Just because I prefer mine, doesn't mean they aren't worth breeding to, or the results wouldn't compliment each family well.