1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Australia, NSW - Maltese terrier on dangerous dog list

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Vicki, Oct 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Maltese terrier on dangerous dog list

Last updated 00:00 26/10/2009

[​IMG]

They may look friendly and loveable, but the little Maltese terrier has joined the NSW government's list of ill-tempered dogs.

The Maltese terrier was involved in 12 attacks on people across NSW in the July-September period, according to the latest Dog Attack Register.

It is the first time the dog has featured in the "top 20 attacking list" on the register launched in January.

"This is obviously a surprising outcome, but nonetheless a reminder that any dog has the potential to attack, regardless of breed," Minister for Local Government Barbara Perry said today.

Another unexpected inclusion was the state's most popular dog, the Labrador retriever, which was reportedly involved in 20 attacks from July to September.

The Dog Attack Register indicates the Staffordshire bull terrier was the prime offender in the latest quarter.

It was involved in 116 attacks, followed by the Australian cattle dog, implicated in 56 attacks, and the German shepherd with 55.

Overall, the register shows 823 dog attacks reported by councils in the July-September period, an increase from 774 in the previous quarter.

Infringement notices were issued to 251 dog owners, with 124 dogs destroyed after an attack.

Maltese terrier on dangerous dog list - oddstuff | Stuff.co.nz

2. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

thats great the little lap dogs are some mean mofos:D:D:D:D:D:D

3. Kristi

Kristi Big Dog

never underestimate the little ones. They might not be able to kill you but they can leave some pretty nasty wounds. My little sister has some bad scars on her face from where a pug attacked her.

4. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

My family had maltese's before I was born. Their female was a total bitch and had it out for my sister. :eek:

5. I'm a dog groomer by profession and get bit by these dogs on the regular

6. Muttkip

Muttkip Big Dog

As nasty as these dogs are...I wish they get the BREED right....it's not called a Maltese Terrier....it's just a Maltese, these dogs have no terrier in them....they were bred solely as companions,......but as a a groomer I can say I get bit more by these guys then any other breed

7. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

i love it , with all the attention the apbt, has been getting in oz over the last two weeks , and the mighty maltese knocks it off the news stand pedistal!
    sad thing is out of all dog "types" it is the owners of these dogs that have the most to learn, just because of their size looks and the stupid little ribbons they are made to wear they are simply laughed at when they growl or bark at a prospective victim, they dont receive any real training for the most part. maybee the owners will start to take a look at themselves.

the other sad thing is , how can you not laugh when they growl or bark at you.

8. Bullseye!

Bullseye! Pup

Well it had to happen sooner or later............. I wonder how dogsbite.org are feeling right now? LOL!