1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Awful shrieking noise

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by PitNJ75, Jul 29, 2010.

1. PitNJ75

PitNJ75 Pup

Question for the pros - for background, my dog is very dog aggressive- has been since day one. But anytime she is anywhere near another dog she makes the most horrible shriek and pulls until she almost chokes herself out. Anyone have this noise instead of growling?
    I'm always self conscious because people look at me like they think I am beating the poor dog, but she makes that terrible noise on her own when she wants to get at the other dog.... what the heck is this?

Is this just mine being weird or has anyone else heard this noise in a situiation like this? Maybe I'm naive, but you'd think she would growl or bark more than make that shriek?

Thanks everyone, looking forward to learning a thing or two over here.

2. kayo45

kayo45 Top Dog

Nothing strange their. You just have a very hot and ready dog on your hands and it's just really wants to do what the it and the breed loves to do, fight.

3. MCS

MCS CH Dog

You got a screamer....my dog, Daisy, does the same thing. It is embarassing as hell, just a vocalization of the frustration of not being able to get to what it wants. I think MiaKoda, another member on here talked about having one in a recent thread.

Usually I walk her in the morning and we hardly see another dog. But as I am wanting to take her to a fun show soon I have been walking her later in the day to get her used to seeing dogs. Yeah and people look at me like "your dog is nuts". Daisy also only does this at other dogs, cats she growls and barks, squirrels she just raises hair and chases.

4. Don't reckon that's anything to be ashamed or embarassed about at all. Quite the contrary, I would praise the dog once it got itself simmered down. Nothing wrong with a strong drive, least in my opinion.

STDC Mike
    BANG BANG!

5. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Agree, I don't scold the dog for acting that way....People just don't understand man.

I just let her do her thing til she calms down and we go on our way.

6. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

that kind of behavior is not uncommon in well bred dogs.
    in the appropriate situation like an adba or aadr dog show the screaming would not be out of place. however if you take a dog like that out in a public place like a dog park or a walk down a street where you will likely meet another dog you're asking for trouble. its your responsibility to keep your dog away from other dogs. it doesn't matter if the other dog is off leash, on your property, whatever, if your game-bred apbt gets their mouth on another dog, you and your dog will get the blame.
    my advice is to not let your dog even see another dog.

7. PitNJ75

PitNJ75 Pup

Ben, absolutely right about dog parks and areas where there are dogs. I feel it's my job to protect her from herself, she could get herself in some real trouble if I didn't keep a good handle on her.

8. scooter

scooter Big Dog

She is a screamer plain and simple. I have one and it will split your eardrums. INSANE loud and high pitched.

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

she juss tellin her daddy how much she wanna kill that dog lol

shriek/screamin= "yo dad let me go, i promise ill kill er in under 10, i promise PLZ PLZ PLZ!!!!" lol

10. PitNJ75

PitNJ75 Pup

hahaha.... Laced you are onto something there

11. ganja

ganja Big Dog

you have a screamer lol :D

I hope you'll have lots of pleasure walking that dog if there are lots of dogs around lol :p

I had a screamer to...
    a mutt, but still, I ended up not taking him outside during daytime anymore.
    the only place he was allowed to was a fenced soccer field late in the evening so no other dogs or very few other dogs would be around ;)

12. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

"Laced Wit Game;478991]she juss tellin her daddy how much she wanna kill that dog lol

shriek/screamin= "yo dad let me go, i promise ill kill er in under 10, i promise PLZ PLZ PLZ!!!!"

there is nothing "tough" about letting your dog go off on someone's pet. all it shows is there is an idiot who should not own a bulldog holding the leash. a bulldog on another breed is not a pretty sight, its cruelty plain and simple.
    thats why I would never put one of my bulldogs in a situation where they might hurt anyone else's pet.
    in fact all the screaming, foaming at the mouth, lunging means nothing. one of the best dogs I've ever seen was as docile as golden retriever around most dogs, he would roll over on his back when meeting a strange dog in public, he was smart, he knew when it was time.

13. NewSchoolDogMan

NewSchoolDogMan Top Dog

The screaming is actually more common than the barking in well bred apbts. Apbts are silent and it is rare to actually see one bark at another dog across each other. In fact, some actually consider a barking dog to be a sign of a cur, along with raised hackles, baring teeth, snarling, etc. A well bred apbt when in the pressence of another dog would do anything and everything possible to get at the other dog and sometimes the excitement builds over and the dog begins to scream in a crazy frenzy. This is natural and trust me when I say you have a dog that is showing good signs. Don't be fooled by those street bred dogs bred by puppy peddlers that do nothing but bark and show teeth etc.

14. bjh

bjh Pup

i love a screamer rather than growling barking and slinging spit...like nsdm said the way i was taught a dog hung up on threat displays was more than likely a cur...good gamebred dogs dont display anything but intent such as pulling getting low and scratching the ground in front of them (when properly restrained) and when frustration mounts screaming...nothin like that sound...:D

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

16. AmericanDogMan

AmericanDogMan Big Dog

F* that...Move to NYC if a dog is off leash and your dog is on leash...
    LET HER EAT. (That's right you have a right to let her kill the other dog video tape it and sell it or post it on youtube)

And then make the dumb*ss owner pay your vet bill, even if you just want to make sure she didn't catch a disease from the other dog's blood.

Leash laws are there for a reason. Be proud of your girl if your in the woods and an animal comes at you she'll die to protect you.

I hate d*mbies that have their dog off leash, your doing the community a favor, better your dog eat; than have the offleash dog (golden retriever you thought was friendly) bite a kid.

17. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

I walk late at night after everybody takes their dog in after walking.

18. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

Americandogman, you should be American Dumb Ass Dog Man, why do you own a pit bull. To beat on your chest, that you have a macho dog. Leash on or off, new york or dallas, texas. That is FN stupid and I am ashamed that you would say such a thing and own these dogs. The stupidity surrounding this breed, amazes me each and everyday! To no end the idiots seem to own these dogs. I almost wish they would outlaw the dogs so the true doggers, can hold and hide them away from idiots and the public. These dogs should have always been underground and never released to the public because of people like this that are idiots and then you have the other idiots who say their are no good pitbulls. You two deserve each other. Keep your dog on a leash, don't leave the house with him, don't go to a park or pet smart (you don't own a lab!!!) and when he screams at home throw a dog bowl at him and he will eventually learn to shut up.

19. duckmike

duckmike Big Dog

i agree with littleblackdog 100% you americandogman are a dumbass and its guys like you and all the pet-bull people that are ruining this fine breed.when all people did with these dogs was fight them you never saw all the shit on tv and in the newspapers about banning these dogs and every-other bad thing you see now.You no why because true dog-men(and ladies)which by the way you're not one were smart enough to be low-key and keep them out of site and underground.And by the way tough-guy what kind of a person would intentionally let one of these dogs kill or maim any other breed of dog i'll tell you the kind the same guy that would beat little people and woman .Do us all a favor if that's your true attitude about these dogs sell your dogs and go f yourself

20. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yeah I would never enjoy or get any pleasure out of my dog fighting with another breed even if it is loose because everyone already stares at me seeing a pit bull barking at their precious pooch I am surely thinking "that damn killing dog". Thankfully though she only begins to really bark if they come close enough or if we are sitting somewhere and she sees one coming our direction my other dog (non apbt) he was such a screamer it was embarrassing for me ALL THE TIME especially when your in a very crowded public area geez.