1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

axle thoughts

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by islander671, Feb 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I was wondering has anyone ever had their dog pull out an axle from the ground?

2. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

It can be done my friend, depends a lot and n your soil and how much moisture it will hold after rain. I have a bit of trouble in the winter

If people were dogs, would you be a cur?

3. CajunBoulette205 well my soil is like clay if that helps? like legit clay you can actually roll it up into a ball and it will turn out a clayball

4. ah nevermind I think ima mix cement tomarrow and put the axle in the bucket with the cement and make it dry for a couple days and dig the hole deep enough for the bucket to fit in the ground

5. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

Axles are nice cuz of tey are easy to remove and replace. If its set in concrete its different. Wen u put it under ground e sure to leave yourself some axle exposed out of te concrete so its easy to monitor ardware and replace wen needed.

Sorry a few of my keys arent working.

6. thanks for the information again will keep in mind so I could go to sleep peacefully at night with out worrying about the dogs getting loose I do always check on the hardware daily if my quicklinks get loose or if anything in fact is wrong with my setup

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

A dog sure can pull one up and like Cajun said it depends on your soil.Real loose sandy soil ive saw em pull em up.

8. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Clay is a shitty soil for that purpose, its great in summer but here it rains more in winter and once the clay gets wet it holds water longer

9. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

IMO It would make a big difference on what dog it was also. I wouldn't concrete every axle if I didn't have to. Not all will need it.

10. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

That's true too, I've had one on same one for years with no prob. Put a young one on there that hits end of chain all day and she pulled it up in a week

11. thank you everybody for your thoughts much appreciated

12. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I never seen a dog pull up a buried axle or get tangled for that matter, a matter of soil if you cant bury it i guess.
    I never understood any good reason not to bury the axle if you can, I ve seen chains wraped around a cinderblock and buried a couple feet down in sand of all things and even the active heavy diggers have trouble locating the anchor.
    Although freek accidents happen it would probably be as rare as a dog getting hit by a falling tree.
    A good cheaper alternative than an axle is digging a 6-8" hole about two feet deep with a post hole digger.
    Get 3' of a heavier duty chain than you normally would use and cut a couple of 6-8" pieces of thin rebar to put half way thru the links on the bottem of the chain in a cross pattern.Drop the chain and rebar into bottem of the hole.
    Add a half of the smaller cement bags to the bottem of hole and let dry.Backfill hole with dirt and use a heavy duty
    link to fasten your chain to.I seen this used at my mentors for over fifteen years with no problems.
    I personally use a smaller 1" collar looped thru the rings on top of a 1 1/2"or 2" collar stagering the buckles.
    Everyone i know that has used this technique have never had the collar(s)fail them as the 1" collar holds the inside
    2" collars buckle closed unless the 1" collar fails which you hopfully you notice before the 2" fails...
    fail me

13. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

No it's not freak ,,,some dogs will pull them up and axles are buried..I bury al mine..Soil has a lot to do with it.

14. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

How's that cheaper than a $5 axle?

15. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Damn a $5 axel is cheap,those are *)s prices where im at in the city an axel is hard to come by for under $20.If i could get them for $5 ,Im with you DAN.
    But if I had BAMAMANs soil Id use the rebar/cement for less than $5 for a half bag of cement and 16" thin rebar.

16. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Same here axels are $20.

17. corvettedex

corvettedex CH Dog

Ive been using a cinder-block with 20-30ft logging chain set up for years. I have the room on my property to go with longer chains, Also it gives my bulldogs room 2 run the ''circle'' if they want too !
    I have never had 1 dug up. However, I have had many swivel, u-bolt, & collar ring failures. Im now With O'BRIEN'S set up that TDK recommended !
    Also digging the holes depending on the ground is a lot of work. The axles are more convenient when moving the dogs to new areas by far........:D

18. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I have never had one pulled up in my yard and accrually my soil packs tight and it's hard ...but just 50 to 70 miles south of me in Florida soil is different and have friends down there with dogs and it's happened to them.

19. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

How deep did they bury the top??
    Ive heard of dogs dying from a falling trees but its rare ,so im not saying I dont beleave it.

20. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Elias,I don't give a shit if u believe it or not...I don't know how deep they bury there's I never Asked.