1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

axle thoughts

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by islander671, Feb 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Yes sir, or mini grinder. Yes, good analogy, Bama

2. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

So air will rust it faster then water huh? LMAO

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lol Sai lots of people bury metal man ....try it once .

4. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I have never had a set up fail or get deteriorated to a point where it would be so weak as to break in the quite a few years I've done it from being burried under ground. I have always burried my anchors, conecting cold shut and chain under the ground. The only swivel I use is the one connecting the chain to the O-rings for the collar. Why do you need a swivel on the opposite side of the set up? The only thing coming out the ground here is the chain. Works fine for me.

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

My point is metal rusts faster buried in the ground then when not buried in the ground as dirt/mud holds water for a long time especially if you live in rainy wet climates.

6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I use one coming out of the ground agk...never had any probe either..I was only suggesting that thinking it may help the issus with chain getting tangled.around top of your anchor.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

No it doesn't ,,your eliminating one of the elements that cause rust.

8. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Ah so a piece of metal in a bucket of water wont rust faster then a piece of metal in a dry storage shed??? Ok what ever you say man LMAO.

9. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Would it be a difference in what type of metal? As in stainless steel, opposed to iron?

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

10. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

If you live near a sea or ocean, or live where there is balky water in the earth (Usually sand), things rust faster. This is why so many undercoat their vehicles in those areas. Just another factor to consider.

11. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I guess that's true TDK..My yard drains real nice I guess .I got metal been buried a while and it's stil good I dig it up and use some now and then..no probs.

12. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

The main reason I bury is cause of the crack heads ! It's easy money for them .

13. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I do mine the same way for many years with no problems. I've seen people use 2 swivels also. Never figured out why.

14. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Stink it can be a weak point in the setup depending on how u look at it...I have never had a problem but I change mine out regularly...the reason I use it is because it keeps stress off the buried parts.

15. AGK

I live in a lake, Literally (peninsula). There is some kind of moisture here all 12 months of the year whether it be snow, rain or just high humidity. My spots are a damn mud pit for probably 2 of those months. I've never have had a problem with a chain breaking from rust (EVER) or any other reason unless I took bolt cutters or a hack saw to them. Unless you live in a desert environment, rust will happen whether you bury something or not. I guess if you were using a poor grade of chain then you would have some real issues with the links integrity but you come up this way and you will not see a logging chain (used to tie down cut timber to the truck transporting the logs) That is not totally rusted, yet they still manage to hold thousands of pounds of timber in place... Go figure. If your using some Walmart grade chain then yes, I would say once you see rust you have a problem however, if your using grade 70, it would take MANY years of damage from rust to get to the point where a dog was going to break it, frankly, I have never seen it happen. I'm not speaking in theory either as Sai and some others are, I am speaking from DOING it for as long as I have been in the dogs ( since "96") When do you guys suppose my chain will break lol...... (It's rhetorical, don't need the answer) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  16. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Good points AGK,,,,I've never had a link to rust that bad either man and never had a problem.

17. AGK

You are for more likely IMO to have a break in the O-ring or the swivel from damage than you are to have a dog break the chain. I have yet to see that one, not that it isn't possible or anything but that is why you should be checking these things often and replacing as needed.

18. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Very true ...I work every day so I am not here 5 hrs at a time..So I am very picky when it comes to this stuff .

19. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Nothing beats a good "crackhead" proof set-up,LOL.

20. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Regarding chains, is grade 80 any better for the chainspot purpose than grade 70, and what thickness is recommended?

Here is a company that sells various grades of chain, up to grade 100. They sell it in buckets and barrels, which seems like a good deal, but I haven't priced it elsewhere. You will notice that stainless has a grade that is impervious to salt and weather, but that per thickness, stainless isn't as strong as the other alloys. Grade 70 has a finish that is claimed to be rust resistant.

Gr 70 Transport Chain

Gr 80 Bulk Chain

Gr 100 Bulk Chain

Stainless Steel Chain and Stainless Steel Chain Supplies