1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

axle thoughts

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by islander671, Feb 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Exactly good post TDK

I dont know how my first post about moisture/water rusting anything metal became an agruement as its one of the factors that does cause metal to rust its just facts LOL Natures elements will cause any metal or steel to rust combined with wear and tare will cause that metal or steel to weaken eventually to the point of failure.

Twisting words? LOL AGK I wasnt only talking about only the chain , I am talking about ANYTHING that is metal/Steel and I NEVER said it will rust and break quickly your the one making all these assumptions and taking what I said out of context LOL.

2. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

3. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

^^^ I brought it up but we ain't no talked about it

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

4. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

I think I checked into SS chain a few years ago and it was expensive compared to grade 70 transport chain. I get a decent deal on transport chain though, $1 a foot @ 500 ft. If you bury your axles it might be worth it to bury the SS chain and hardware and then go with grade 70. I leave my axles 8"-10" out of the ground. Never had any problems other than hitting my shin on the axle one dark night. Cut a coil off of a front coil spring from a car and weld the ends together and attach chain and hardware to it. The chain wears out before anything has a chance to rust.

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I went back from ground anchors to axles a handful of months or so ago and as I have always done I buried the axle down to the ground. When I need to check the hardware down below I use a jack and pull up the axle and check the chain/hardware.

My question is, who uses the o rings and who uses just the chain to connect to the axle? I just use the chain and use a cold shut to secure it to the axle.

I see a lot of people use the o ring method and a single one at that and I'm just curious why people do when it seems like it's a lot weaker than wrapping the chain around the axle with a cold shut.

6. postmandan

postmandan Big Dog

I probally do it with a o ring is because that's what I was shown many years ago hahahah

7. treezpitz

lol That's a very good reason to keep doing it, PMD. I might switch up to that way on a couple of them to see how I like it.

8. treezpitz

Great post, TDK. I remember reading this but now I'm re-reading and appreciate this post a little more this time. Thanks as always, amigo.

9. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I have to use both depending on what area of the yard, some parts are a hard clay type dirt where burying an axle is impossible without a small backhoe or tractor an it will hold and earth anchor great, down on the lower side I use axles because the earth is a bit looser and an earth anchor always works it's way out

March isn't the only month for Madness!!

10. I cut a 6 foot metal fencing T post into 3 pieces, so they are 2' long. I weld a 1' chain 5/16 to each piece and drive it in the ground 6" below the ground surface. I then attach my desired length if either pup or adult chain to the piece of chain attached to the stake. If you had really wet soil use a 3' stake. I also use rebar and weld chain or a chain link to a 2' long piece. Paint the rebar to get maximum life out of it.