1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bacterial skin infection

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by JRSPITS, Apr 19, 2007.

1. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Has anyone here had any experience treating bacterial skin infections? One of my dogs has had one on and off for over a year. He had surgery last year and a biopsy this year. Three months of antibiotics and it was gone. Six weeks of no meds and its back.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Well I had this problem with my blue female. She always had skin infections that would always come back. I used all kinds of stuff to help her, but it never really got that much better. I ended up using Nu Stock. It worked really well and made the hair grow back. I would recommend using this product and bathing with either Sulf Oxy Dex shampoo and alternating with an Oatmeal shampoo for moisturizing.

I would be careful and make sure the dog is on the highest quality food possible. I ended up putting Envy down this year because of Lymphoma Cancer and I believe she got the cancer because her immune system was down from the infections that I could not get rid of. Best of luck and if you need help let me know.

3. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Thank for the info. He is currently on NV but I have 550lbs of Timberwolf ordered it should be at my house tomorrow.

Where can I find Nu Stock?

I give him perscription anti bacterial baths twice a week that seem to help sith the symptoms but I'll have to check what the ingredients are.

4. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

http://www.nustock.com/

Here is the web site, but they have it a alot of feed stores. TW is a good food too. Hope this helps.

5. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

damn! 550 lbs is alot of feed.

6. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Thank you sooo much!

Also, very sorry for your loss. I pray we don't have to make that decision.

7. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

They give a breeders discount if you buy 510lbs or more. It saved me over $10 per bag to buy in bulk.

Not to mention no more trips to the pet store after getting home from work and realizing I forgot the dogfood.

8. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

really? thats interesting. must save alot in the end! how long u think ittl last ya?

9. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

I have six dogs so probably 4 months?

10. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

not bad. kool.

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

The recurring skin infection could be a result of where you keep the dog. Where is the dog housed at?

12. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

He is a house dog. Only goes outside for exercise and bathroom. When we are gone he is in a metal crate with a blanket. The vet says there is nothing we can do except antibiotics. Nothing in the environment. I wish it was that simple.

I worry about the day when meds will no longer work:( .

13. lol timberwolf has an experiation date on it. if you only have 1 dog you better get to cancelling that order or selling as much of it as you can.

14. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

If you read my previous post you will see I have six dogs.

15. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

My only guess left, after ruling out environment and food, would be that your dog suffers from an immune system deficiency that could have been inherited. If that's the case, there is not much you can do but treat the presenting symptoms as they occur.

At some point you have to either pick between length of life or quality of life. For instance, constant use of antibiotics and drugs such as prednisone, can unfortunately result in a shorter life span of an animal due to the long ter affects on the liver, however forcing a dog to live a longer life yet one full of constant itching, burning, & pain & one of no fur is not the humane thing to do.

IMO, you are doing what you can.

I do advise however that you give your dog a probiotic supplement in pill form (the probiotic level in yogurt is too little & most dogs don't even get enough from the few tablespoons plopped on their food to make any difference). The probiotics will enable the good bacteria to build back up as antibiotics do not descriminate between the good & bad bacteria.

16. Esse818

Esse818 Big Dog

if you love your dog, if this doesnt heal and she/hes in pain but it to sleep,

17. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

try some prednizone-- see if it dry's it up and should notice a change in a few days,,,works great for reoccurring skin problems,,

18. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Prednisone does work great in alleviating symptoms such as itchniness & allowing the skin to heal, but long term corticosteroid use can have serious consequences.

But alas that brings us back to quality of life or length of life. ;) It's not an easy decision but in my opinion you've got to treat the here-and-now to keep the dog happy and comfortable.