1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bait dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by simms, Dec 13, 2005.

1. simms

simms CH Dog

The question that I'm about to pose...LOL Is not intended for a flame fest nor to insight talk of illegal activities. I beleive that this particular subject can be discused in a adult manner....

I've got to ask, where did ya'll come up with the term bait dog?
    What is it? is it another type of breed or is it just dog?

If it is a APBT (gamedog) you reffer to as such. The term "bait dog" does not apply.
    The way this is depicted is far from what the truths are.

For example, why would anyone use a lesser type dog to improve upon a dog that's skills that has met or exceeded it's expectations?

Why would anyone want to use a lesser type dog to school the prospect dog?

What does lesser type dog do for the term bait dog?

BTW, notice how I spoke around thing's...LOL

Regards.

2. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

um....me is still a learner so i'mma let my buddies on this site handle it

3. simms

simms CH Dog

Joke about if you like...but I see the term commonly used and for what? There should be some myth busting.

Regards.

4. Marty

Marty Guest

simms hes 17 yrs old man, Thank you for this post, I know this is going to help, in the real world there is no such thing, this was all started by the media ;)

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

You dont. It was used by people with the false conception that they need to train a dog to go....people who lack real dogs and try to make up for it with "ingenuity" and backstreet solutions :rollseyes: . Mostly however, I believe this myth was started or at least became accepted because of Animal Rights wackos such as PETA and the HSUS.....they tell people its common practice to make a fighting dog, the men who know, know its not true, but the thug down the street doesnt and does it. Now they have proof when this scumbag is caught rolling dogs in the front lawn.

As for why they roll into a cur breed....no reason other than stupidity. Its akin to a professional boxer beating up cripples, its sick and depraved, has no value and will make the boxer become worse by doing so.

Of course all this is fictional ONLY and speaks of times before 1976. I hesitated to immediately lock this thread,but if people keep it mature and legal, we will give it a shot. If this thread stays safe it will make for a good discussion and will possibly educate these misinformed folks of today. You never know who might be reading!

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I believe the term orignated by the SPCAs of the country in order to profile nice dogs that have scarring on them in order to create a public outcry over nothing at all. After much publicized b.s., wanna-bes picked up on the idea (just like the one to throw kittens in with a "fighting" dog) b/c they heard it would make their dog "fight" or be "cool". A distant neighbor claims her dog was a "bait" dog. Her dog has was scar on it's leg that looks like it was caused more from a brush burn type injury. But the local shelter made a huge ordeal about her being picked up as a stray b/c she was just used as a "bait" dog & tossed out afterwards.

While I think that some stupid, uneducated people are using this "method", I think it started out just as a propoganda term used to create mass hysteria against "dog fighters".

7. Suki

Suki Guest

8. simms

simms CH Dog

I agree, and thank you for those that have commented thus far.

Regards.

9. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

i think it is a self fufilling profecy created by Humaniacs and ignorant people. originally it didnt really exist now through self manifestation amongst those that know nothing and try their hand at such illegal activites it has become true. these people know nothing about what they are doing they are usually making it up as the go along and peta and hsus have given them ideas on how they may accomplish their misguided goal. They created a word and ignorance amongst the masses gave them a picture to put next to it.

10. Suki

Suki Guest

11. SFK

SFK Top Dog

From what I can gather the term was first introduced by the Humane Society in the early 70's when they where first pushing the negative media blitz towards dogfighting. I think somewhere along the way one assumtion was made after another until we get where we are today. You are right. A bulldog would gain absolutely nothing from the use of a "bait" dog. esp from another breed. I've always read in the old magazines published prior to the Animal Welfare Act of 1976 that "bait" referred to a chicken, raccoon, or cat that was put into a basket attached to a jenny so that a dog would be more enthusiastic about chasing it. Wherein the "bait" never came to any harm because what would you use the next day? This is a wives tale that became reality due to all of the media hype, propagated by the Aspca & Humane Society. Nice to see what their fables have caused to become reality. Just like beating a dog to make it fight or feeding it Gunpowder.

1 person likes this.
  12. simms

simms CH Dog

Wow,

But Christiansen, a former animal control investigator in Rochester, New York, says teenagers, not professional dog fighters, may be to blame. "My experience mostly has been in an urban environment where the dogs that are being stolen are often used by less sophisticated people who are looking for the thrill of watching their dog beat up another dog," Christiansen says.

So basicly, the APBT is not considered to be a "bait dog" and the term is misused?

Regards.

13. simms

simms CH Dog

Excellent reply.

Regards.

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

The term "bait dog" is applied to any dog of any breed that is found to have scars on it. Instead of considering the possiblity of being hit by a car, or being tangled up in a barbed wire fence, or being attacked by a lab, that animal is assumed to be used as a "bait" dog for training pit bulls to "fight".

Rockstar likes this.
  15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Well said SFK

16. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Looks like everyone jumped on this at the same time!

17. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Mia, you are correct. I hear that all the time. What's even worse is the glassy, Jim Jones Kool Aid look on their faces when you try to explain why it's nonsense. Sometimes i wish I could beat the general public with a cain!

18. simms

simms CH Dog

It's crazy Mia,
    about 4 weeks ago we had this cur mix come into the clinic, she was ate up with demodex, staph, swollen. One of the Dr's wives came in and was giving a tour of the clinic...well she see' this poor dog and automaticly assumes that this dog was used for fighting...I mean you can hear her telling this to her friends no less...So she comes out and ask one of the other techs. If this was the case cause this dog lookss like it had been used for such.

My gut was wrenching.

Regards.

19. simms

simms CH Dog

No flogging allowed...LOL

Regards.

20. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

That's the problem with the whole thing. If someone sees a dog with any kind of scars on it, it's automatically assumed that that dog was a "bait" dog used by heartless "dog fighters". Instead, the dog could've been hit by a car & drug along the road.

Thankfully in our clinic that term is scoffed at. We spend a lot of time trying to explain to clients that the dog they saw in the waiting room & proclaimed was a fighting dog, was one that got bitten up by the owners Golden Retrieve when it tried to take a bone away form it.

Thanks to all the media & SPCA progpaganda, the general public feels they are qualified enough to accuse people of being dogfighters & in some sick sense, feel they are making a difference or helping out.

The term is too widely & vaguely used

Although I do believe that imbecile people are doing this to animals b/c they think it's "cool", I do NOT believe that this is as widestream as the media wants us to believe. And the more they spout off about & gived detailed instructions on how to do this "method" of 'training", the worse off everything will be.