1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

bald spot

Discussion in 'Paste Articles here' started by pit#5, May 2, 2009.

1. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

It's been confusing ,my dog had cuts from a fence and wile healing I kept wondering will the hair grow back and sure enough it did, and well I might add ,but ironically just at the end of the healing moment for those issues out of no where a little round scabby spot, harmless looking enough and definitely not from the fence. I figured after those other issues from fence healed this should be no big deal, well it's been easily a month and it's not healing
    Some times it is a bit swollen and some times not some times reddish and often just a normal skin color it is raised a bit , he has 2 of them one on head and one on leg. Both look the same and have no hair, and I don’t even see hair struggling to grow back, I have put him on a reduced grain diet thinking maybe it's a food allergy but I don't think that’s it.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      51 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
  2. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

It could be various skin issues, hard to tell from pictures exactly. If it's only in those 2 spots it is probably not food allergies though. More like a fungus,bacteria, or mite. I try this before taking them into the vet, usually works pretty good.

It smells terrible but it works!

http://www.nustock.com/

3. masta of game

masta of game Banned

i thought the one on the right was your arm..:eek:

4. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

Glad I wasn't the only one. :D

5. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

His arm does look human like, I was thinking some kind of mange
    I remember finding a mix dog with sarcoptic mange
    Years ago but he had no hair on his lower body
    I’m gona see if tractor supply has nu stock or some thing like or
    Order it. I thought sarcoptic mange could not be cured
    Not to say my dog has it but he’s got something, well going to the vet for some shots any way this week so I’ll get some vet input

6. RedNozeChamp

RedNozeChamp Big Dog

My dog used to get a small bald spot on the head when i used to go cheap on their food. You switch to a raw diet you probably wont see that.

7. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I was giveing him some Parina puppy and Diamond
    Off that now using Holistic health no grain except some rice and beet pulp
    But I did buy a bag of raw and I am adding it slow Till he gets used to it

Holistic health Ingredients

Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and ascorbic acid and rosemary extract). Lamb Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Flax Seed, Brewer Dried Yeast, Egg Product, NutraDrops (Natural Barley Malt, B1, B2, B6, B12, Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic, Astragalus, Ginger), Trace Mineral Salt, DL Methione, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D-3), Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Coral Calcium, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ester C, Biotin, Inositol, Omega 3 / Omega 6 oils, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Calcium lodate, Sodium Selenite, CoQ10, DHA, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Primrose Oil, Glucosamine, Colostrum, Blue/Green Algae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger

Still I think even this food should do the trick it’s a high cost food
    but i am on my way to Raw

8. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

It may not be curable but it's manageable and nustock will help relieve any itching and help promote hair growth. You only need a tiny little bit for those spots, and it smells so I generally try to rub it in as good as possible because if you get it on stuff the smell doesn't come out! Not easily anyway. Good luck.

9. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

I've run into a few dogs who are highly allergic to beat pulp, some dogs do okay with it and some don't. It's not highly digestible for dogs, but is a good source of fiber. High cost doesn't always mean high quality. Canidae is a brand that won't break your bank but is good quality. Good luck.

10. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

You have your manges mixed up. Demodex is the one that is hard to cure. It is hereditary. All dogs basically have the mite, and stressful situations bring it out. Sarcoptic mange is the contagious one that they can catch from other animals and can share with you!
    I have recently been re-familiarized with these terms since my neighbor just rescued 3 mutts that were dumped out at the lake. I helped her get all the ticks off and a week later they are still scratching and a trip to the vet for a skin scraping confirmed sarcoptic mange. Yeah! I have been itching ever since. Hopefully it is all in my mind.

Anyway, I would go to the vet and get them to do a scraping to see what kind of mite or whatever you are dealing with. Best to find out sooner than later.

11. RR3000

RR3000 Big Dog

Got a lil one with those issues,so I just switched up his food,to see if that's what's wrong with my lil buddy.

12. philo

philo Pup

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  13. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Yes Nu-Stock along with some Hibitane cream (Chlorhexidine 5%)
    Chlorhexidine 5% cream
    Hibitane​

14. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

NuStock works good. But if you have scarcoptic mange, it will smell bad. And I think the nustock only works for the demodex mange. Not positive though.. Still a good idea to go to the vet and get it checked out.

15. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Going to vet on the 14 - I’ll say this the dog does not itch either spot and is not the least bit itchy now either as far as dog is concerned it does not exist but from what I read about mange it should be spreading fast and dog should be itching . Based on vets choice I think he will get a scrape and go from there. My dogs has no flees now but 1 month and a few days ago he did and that’s when it showed up but I got rid of them maybe there slow healing flee bites one things for sure both spots have the same kind of look I have been using MTG from tractor supply good on fungus and others minor things. They have a Mange cream but I will let vet decide