1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

BARF percentages?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by lovemybull, Sep 3, 2010.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

I have been doing a lot of reading and would like to switchs them over to a BARF diet. I read a few different opinions on the percentages of the bones, organ, meat, etc. One I read it said at least 60% of the diet should consist of muscle meat, but another site said at least 50% of diet should be raw meaty bones. So for you who feed it, would you mind telling me what guidlines you use? Thanks!

2. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

I feed my dogs 90 - 95% meat/bone and 5 - 10% veggies. I only feed organs once a week, and no more than 10% of their meal.

3. beanieman

beanieman Banned

I use this advise.

65% muscle meat
    20% bone
    10% heart
    5 % organs.

works good for my dogs

4. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

FYI, heart counts as muscle meat.

5. beanieman

beanieman Banned

i know but this is how it's posted on the main site's around here that do BARF.
    Maybe the heart contains some other things as head,lip throat and musle meat parts does.
    Anyway the question wase made about % and i just posted what's going around over here.

6. Mastiffkb

Mastiffkb Pup

65% RMB
    10% meat no bones
    10% organ meat
    10% veggies and fruit
    5% misc such as eggs, oils, kelp

7. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Thanks for all the help.

8. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

60/40 split is recommended from BARF...this is the formula...dogs weight times 16 (for total ounces)...total ounces times .02....that number times .6 for amount of meats and then times .4 for amount of veggies...basically 2% of body weight divided by a 60/40 split...and of course total amount of feed should be adjusted to the individual dog...
    i feed slightly more meat than that and i use a lot of chicken backs...livers/gizzards...quarters when they are on $$$$ cheap....lots of deer meat in the next few months....US1

9. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

40lbs X 16oz. = 640oz. total weight
    640oz X .02 = 12.8oz. total feed amount
    12.8 X .6 = 7.68oz of meats
    12.8 X .4 = 5.12 oz of veggies...

forgot to add this part....and this can be adjusted based on the dog and his individual needs....US1

10. sidonis

sidonis Pup

I feed 80% raw mince and then add 20% minced fruit and vege's...........I should really get around to adding 5% offal I reckon, but he's on puppy food as well, so should be getting all the nutrients.
    Feeding raw is definately cheaper for me than premium dog food, I can buy enough chicken or beef mince for a week for $6.75, I like to keep the dog's food bill to $10 a week.