1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Barney Fife

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by preme, Apr 18, 2011.

1. preme

preme CH Dog

Every couple of years someone makes a big fuss about discovering some curs in an individuals or a strains ancestry. The idea is to belittle that line of dogs and elevate the line of the accuser. Most of these arguments are just plain silly because every strain has some dirt in their ancestry. Dogs are just flesh and blood and will quit in the right situation. Here are just a few examples using dogs that are generally regarded as great individuals as well as great producers of game dogs.

The BULLYSON debate has been adequately covered by others in the pages of this magazine. There is no need to revisit that discussion. Mayfield’s Nigger was never matched, but was a good stud dog in spite of two huge faults. The first was that he quit in several rolls and the second was that his pedigree was not correct. Bobby Hall’s BLUE BOY was sired by BULLYSON, out of Long’s TUFFY and was a brother to his STOMPER dog. The dog had several names and one of his other names was Everett’s BUCK. Most fanciers do not know that BUCK was an unusually talented match dog and a prepotent stud dog. He had sired Holland’s GR. CH. CHEROKEE CHIEF, R.O.M. among others. BUCK had been matched into Stinson and Glover’s CH. TUFFY, a stifle wrecking machine. These two went at it so hard that both of them were stumbling by the 30 minute mark. By 40 BUCK was done and took the count. Later on Buck was matched into SNOOTY, who wisely stayed on the head and wore BUCK down until he stopped in 1:10. In spite of the losses, BUCK won a number of matches and also a large number of “ Off the chain “ matches.

Stinson and Glover owned two champions, littermate brothers bred by Maurice Carver named TUFFY and DOLEMITE.each dog proved to be one of the best at their weight. TUFFY was a stifle wrecking machine and in addition to his win over BUCK, he won over Corn’s TORO in 8 minutes, with one stifle hold. The Cajun’s matched into TUFFY with their IKE dog and much to the amazement of the Texans, TUFFY stopped in 45 minutes. Undetered Stinson and Glover matched back into Cajun’s IKE using wood’s OSO NEGRO. OSO was a litter mate to Crenshaw’s Ch. RASCAL and they were considered great bulldogs. OSO lived up to the expectations od the Texans by dominating IKE, but surprised everyone when he refused to scratch at 1:10

CH. RASCAL won five matches but had lost his second time out to Sykes’ SAMPSON. Like his brother OSO NEGRO, RASCAL was ahead all the way and was probably bored by the lack of challenge presented by the game SAMPSON. At the end of the match RASCAL acted like he’sd just completed a short walk rather than an hour long match.

According to his supporters CH. OTIS, R.O.M. was probably past his prime when he lost to Stepps GR.CH.Angus. After about 50 minutes OTIS did not complete his scratch and was said to looking for a way to leave. The backers of OTIS tried to avenge this loss by matching JEEP into ANGUS, but the match never came off. It was this rivalry that set up the famous 3:45 match between JEEP and HOMER.

JEEP’S sire, Finley’s BO, R.O.M. stopped against Lonzo’s VINDICATOR in 1:30. VINDICATOR was two pounds light but overcame this handicap to put BO in serious trouble.

RED BOY showed excellent ability when he stopped Cable’s FANG who was the grandsire of CH.JOCKO. RED BOY dogs are noted for their gameness, but the sire of RED BOY, Teal’s JEFF took the count after a long contest.

I wrote an article which covered the match in which Mayfields SNAKE and R.O.M. sire, quit in 25 minutes. The winning dog was named KAYTO and is no relation to the KAYLIN of O.J.Simpson fame.

This article is not intended to discourage fanciers from breeding for gameness. It is intended to shed a little light on the fact that on the right day under the right circumstances, even a good bulldog can be stopped. In addition I wanted to mention that those fanciers who routinely accuse others of owning cur bred dogs might want to take a look at the cur genes in their own dog’s registry.

By: Barney Fife
    SDJ JULY-AUGUST XXXX Pg. 54

2. garth

garth Big Dog

Good post Preme.We all have quiters in our dogs back ground.Some people on these forums don't know a GAME dog if it was to bite them were the sun don't shine.What is sad they are the ones calling some one else's dogs curs.JMO

3. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

yeah like i was saying i another thread its a diff between quitting and curing

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

say what now?

anyways, good post preme

5. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

6. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

Quitting is quitting 10 min or 2:30 its the same the only thing diffrent is you got to keep your money in you pocket for 2:20 longer ! sure is no diffrence both dogs quit both are curs . The only stanard to be breed is game .

7. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

i understand and acknowledge and would also suggest the same.all im saying is theres a fine line between not able not willing and probly in rascals case not caring.If a dog stands the line with a dog then rematches same dog and dies game then what would he be. a dead game cur?

8. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

Have you seen this happen In over 30 years doing these dogs at a high level I have never seen one STAND and than go out dead game ! Big diffrence between cant and wont again if a dog stands he could have gone but did not . Hell I have had more than one dog who lost and could not scratch and came back at a later date and won . And by cant I mean he is still trying to get there crawling wineing screaming to get to the other one .but the body wont let him hell I had a few who died on the way over so lets stop with the ifs and maybes thats waht is destoying this breed of dog !! P S dont mean to be hard on you about this but to many dogmen lie to themself about their own curs.............

9. Boze

Boze Top Dog

if the dog is standing they should try to go but do not have to always make it if the dog gets counted out trying then that is good enough for me

10. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

hey OTD know hard feelings.believe me i am not kennel blind and i call em how i see em. mine or someone elses.like i said b4 i knew of a dog that would not scratch his first time out the second time he showed to be a good dog no bs.Im not gonna lie and say he looked great but he showed game.thats the truth.

11. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

Boze I agree but he better be crawling when he gets counted out . Thats just me .

12. preme

preme CH Dog

you are not alone ^^^..

13. slim1972

slim1972 Big Dog

YALL betta listen 2 old time dogman:-)

Well said, my friend!

14. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Unfortunatly my frind i do not agree with that. this comes up time and time again. i belive not to long ago a simulair discussion was here on this forum about it. I have seen Dogs being barnstormed into a eurly quit, same dog showed dead gamenes 2 years later in a 2 hour show!!!!.

If a dog that quits in 10 is the same as a dog that quits in 2 hours lets say against the same uponend, then obviusly the 2 hour quiter is not a Dead game dog , BUT he is a hell of a lot GAMER then the dog that quit in10 min, hensh the frazes Game dog, deep game dog, Dead game dog., also in contrary to what a lot of people think is a Cur, was and IS labeld as a dog that Jumps the pit ore quits ON TOP.

a dog that TAKES the cound is caled a quiter but can be a game dog ore a deep game dog. depending on the level of punishmend he ore she took. people who belive that a dog that quits is a cur. have in my mind no deeper understanding about gameness, and use the cur word as a ez way to lable a dog.

this is how lot of the oldtimers lookt at the dogs.PLENTY and i mean PLENTY 1 ore 2 hour quiters wre shown bij them as they tought they could do better with suytch a dog that there previus ownder did. history books are litterly FULL of those eczamples.
    woods snooty quit as wel , but in wat level competiton did he quit . he was also known as a dog that back in the 80,s produced a ecstra ordinary level of high % game dogs..

15. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

thats what im saying Limey. If the oldtimers thought like some of us on this site where would we have gotten dogs from.

16. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

A quitter is a quitter, no matter how you look at it. If your dog quit because they were barnstormed then that just means they don't do well under pressure and probably never will. Like basketball, you don't put your second string players in when the score is tied and there’s 1:40 left to play in the 4th quarter. You want someone who's a clutch player, can do well under pressure and doesn't accept defeat.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

17. preme

preme CH Dog

bull shit im glad my old timers did have standards , there still be dogs even more top notch ones if folks culled correctly !!!!!!!!!!!! and quit mass producing bull shit ..

18. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

oh there def would still be good dogs preme.but with so many of these so called curs in a lot of dogs peds...how many?I think some good dogs r being written off cause most dont know the diff between a dog quitting and curing.like i said in the bandit thread peeps dont want to give him credit 4 being game just cause he wasnt deadgame.and preme i dont mass produce shit i got my own opinion and call em how i(me)see em.take a look at allmy post(although i dont post a lot)and youll see i aint know dickrider i state my opinion popular or not and always will.

19. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

theres a saying that go's Work Smart Not Hard. id argue the same term should be applied to culling.Cull Smart Not Hard.While hard isnt always a bad thing doing anything to hard is never a good thing(even sex.u can ask my d!%@).

20. preme

preme CH Dog

rev i could careless about you and your opinion ...and faggot as dick shit eat one with hot sauce .... so wat did i say that got your panies in a bunch .....back to the thread and less faggot shit ....(and you can ask a bag of shit !)