1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Battlecross or Linebreed

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Erie Outlawz, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

Ive been seeing a trend on this board with people suggesting that its better to do Best to Best breedings. I will admit that you can and will get good dogs by doing this but i wont agree that is what you should always do because i dont like Scatterbred dogs.

Now just by going off the rom list the top producers were mostly battle crossed but if you go threw the dogs that got them their points most were linebred. Jeep, alot of linebred winners in his points his best producing son though was Tab(imo) but look at his points most were linebred, Yellow, threw good either way, Frisco most were linebred, Mayday, most were either to redboy/Jocko dogs or Bolio/Tombstone dogs, Buck all were mostly battlecrossed as STP was known to do that plus they didnt have any tight Bolio dogs(just imagine if they did though).

So what do the rest of you think about all this and dont worry this has been an ongoing arguement since i got into the dogs so i wont tell anyone they are flat out wrong lol unless you are lol!!!:D

2. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

While I understand the importance of line breeding it isnt necessary to produce a good dog. In all aspects of these dogs , some of the best come from outcross litters or battle cross...that blueprint works for a reason..there are certain things..specifically the type and look of a line that is locked in and made consistant with in and linebreeding and certain other factors like immunity are lost and lessened when you linebreed to heavily. The battlecross dogs pick up what lacked in one line from the other...

In for brood out for battle...thats what my dad says anyhow....

3. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I dont think on is particularly better than the other. i think it depends on what you have and what you are trying to achieve. If you have something worth breeding but still has something that you want to add then you might do a cross with a dog that can potentially bring that to the table. If you want to start and preserve a line that has all the things you are looking for then i think you line breed. I think this method can keep you ahead for a longer period of time. This is just my opinion, i am no STP at this point lol

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I like that :D

5. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Im a firm believer in line breeding. I'm not against crosses by any means, but i believe in crossing lines after your desired straits are achieved threw line breeding and inbreeding. I'm firm on trying to building a solid family of tight bred dogs, that way you should get dogs that not only look similar, but be similar in attitude, structure, size and style. IMO, crossing can certainly add to the pot, but it can also take from it as well. It all depends on the individuals used in the breeding program. I do believe in best to best breedings as well, when people say breed best to best, i dont think they mean and dog bred any which way as long as he's good. I take it has, take the best representatives of the line you desire and breed to the best dogs you have access to. I dont think anyone really intends on running a yard of scatterbred dogs. lol

6. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

I look at outcrossing sort of like swinging for the fences. You are going to hit one out or strike out. Linebreeding is playing it safe and just trying to get on base. You won't come up with that special one. Take yellow for example, dogs linebred from him are good, but how many were as good as mayday. Were any of the inbred or linebred jeep dogs better than him?

7. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Personally I think best to best works with reason. The pup I have now is basically b2b with little regard to lines.

I believe in line breeding until you have what you want then 1 - 3 generations of carefully planned battle crosses to produce your athletes. The battle cross should be made up of another linebred dog/a proven line that clicks. Then tighten it back up and repeat.

B2B works best when choosing two performers from different strains of the same line, closely related lines or if you have the time to evaluate the entire litter. Continuously putting two dogs together with no regard for the blood you're mixing may work for a while but I believe after a few generations it'll be so mixed up that you'd be sitting on a disaster.

8. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

9. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

Thats what i was always told also

10. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

It's all a matter of preference and opinion. Most of your top performers are outcrosses in my opinion. My best dog most people would consider scatterbred, but I like her. My least spectacular one is inbred. Which will produce better I don't know, but I am guessing the scatterbred bitch.

11. dillybar

dillybar Pup

You can't make a cross without a line bred or inbred individual to breed to.

Otherwise you are just shooting in the dark. Will shooting in the dark work? Sure but your chance of hitting the target is far less than in the! daylight!

"Now just by going off the rom list the top producers were mostly battle crossed but if you go threw the dogs that got them their points most were linebred."

Good to see someone does their homework....

12. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

Maybe maybe not if your inbred one had a close relative that was a really good pitdog i bet they would throw better then she was. And just because your scatterbred one is your best doesnt mean she will throw herself into her offspring hell been plenty of great dogs that never threw themselves in their offspring.

13. Too much speculation. Fact is alot of guys are hung up on pretty papers. Who wouldnt like to feed a pure strain? Doesnt make it the best dog. Breeding B2B IS the best way to go. Only one way to know

14. dillybar

dillybar Pup

No speculation here. Just assumed no one would consider inbreeding or line breeding on questionable individuals. Choosing the right individuals is the breeders responsibility. If they don't have access to the best they shouldn't be breeding them in the first place.

15. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

Thats true Pat Patrick once said "the secret to breeding good dogs is to take your bitch to the very best dog you can find" i like to add to what he said and that is to take your bitch to the best dog you can find within the same bloodline.

16. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

if you found a better dog that was not out of the same blood line why would you settle for a sub par dog of the same lines? you really will end up with the same % of success if your cross is well researched and thought out and you truly pick the best dog to compliment your bitch if not a higher % than breeding to a sub standard dog ...all you will do is enhance the poor qualities with the linebreeding...

17. Can you please explain why? Other than value..

18. dillybar

dillybar Pup

Who said anything about breeding substandard dogs? Crossing two good individuals from two different lines can yield great success in many cases, nothing wrong with trying that, but you have to have to individuals from two distinct lines to do that, other wise it is an open-scatter bred breeding not a cross.

19. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

Awww well i'm not so rigid in my perspective that if i seen an ace go i wouldnt take a bitch to him but then i would breed accordingly and i didnt say sub par dog of the same line i said best within the same line please dont play with my words lol its not nice lol!!!:p

20. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

Sure because yall are only thinkin of the good qualities you get from the good dog outside your line and not thinking of any bad traits you might bring into your line by breeding outside of it remember you get the good and the bad and everyline has both with linebreeding you mimimize the bad and breed for the good because with staying in your own line to get to learn each breeding outside of it ya gots no clue.