1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Beddin For Newborn Pups

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Gamest, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Gamest

Gamest Pup

I have a litter comin any day now. I just built tha dogs house ( 5x3x3 ) to go in my kennel. And in texas it has been pretty warm. What do yall use for beedin and also what to yall do to keep them pups and momma dog cool. THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. CRG

CRG Top Dog

try cedar or pine shavings not sawdust.shavings are lighter and less prickley than the chips.

3. Gamest

Gamest Pup

Dang No Staff Response ??

4. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

That's a nice size brood pen....I put straw bedding in mine....and the mothers make a nice nest in it and the puppy's have always done fine...As for the heat...all you can do is bring them in the house....Well that's the cheap'est thing you could do.....YIS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2004
  5. When ever one of our bitches was due; we'd bring them in the house where we have a spare room...We make a nice little nest for the bitch and her pups :D

6. AC

AC Big Dog

If she still hasn't had them I wouldn't suggest using the cedar or pine shavings due to the fact that when they are born if she whelps in there the cedar chips will stick to the sacs and placenta and she will have to chew on it which would be hard to do with all the chips. I don't use any bedding. It's much too hot. I just let them conceive in the house on some towels and out they go the next day in their plastic house in the shade in a kennel run. Works for me.

7. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

We go down to Goodwill and pick up old blankets. Cheap & reusable.

As for keeping momma dog cool........BNK has the best/cheapest way.

8. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

That's a good ponit and I left it out....Good looking out V..:D

9. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I'm in agreement here. Cedar shavings would likely complicate sac removal.

10. BDK

BDK oo7

bnk is right use straw we have never had a problem here keeps them cool in summer warm in winter also i would advise you use shredded newspaper during the actual whelping it will absord all teh fluid and tehn is easy to clean up we use a plastic kiddy pool from walmart aas a whelping pen in teh house works great hope this helps

11. I've been using the plastic kiddie pool from walmart for years. Also I think straw is probably best IMO.

12. Gamest

Gamest Pup

Thanks Everyone.

13. æSDKæ

æSDKæ Pup

Old newspapers do good for us...;)