1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Better toys...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by genevieve, Jun 17, 2008.

1. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

Picked up a dog from a friend Sunday night. The next morning he had shredded a kong, basketball and jolly ball before breakfast. He spent the rest of the day working his way through a toy tire and the recycling bin full of plastic bottles.

A friend suggested hanging him a motorcycle tire on the spring pole, and I have a truck tire up there while she tries to find me a motorcycle tire. He spent a good four hours today going at that tire, in addition to a two hour leash walk and is laying in the hall chewing a cow marrow bone now. He just doesn't stop.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tire a dog like this out, and what to use for the springpole/ toys that will hold up a little better? He prefers plastics over rope/ fabric.

Thanks,

Genevieve

2. ARAPBT

ARAPBT Pup

www.goughnuts.com

these are the only rubber type toys I've found that are pit bull proof. It will take them a very long time to destroy them. When the dog does tear it up, the company will replace it for free. My dogs can rip the black Kongs to shreds but takes them months to mess up these. Check out the site and info. They also support our breed.

3. ARAPBT

ARAPBT Pup

Also if you are wanting to tire the dog out. Attach one of those goughnuts to a spring pole. Guarantee you they will tire out. Get a treadmill too.

4. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Welcome to the world of the a.p.b.t. LOl:) Thay are not for everybody. I would suggest you get you a 5 foot piece of pvc a 12 foot pice of rope & A hide, and build youreself a flirt pole . If you don't know what a flirt pole is,Use the search function on the fourm. There will be lots of information. Big Game

5. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

Yup, this one is no pet- bull...

I will have to order him some go-nuts. How do you attach them to the springpole?

Thanks,

Genevieve

6. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

You can use an old car tire also, just cut the bead cable out of it.

7. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

He has a truck tire now (working on it at the moment actually).

What is a bead cable?

Thanks,

Genevieve

8. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

AAAAHHHHHAAAAWWW HEEHEE . You got a pain in the A--- dont ya? Tell me he aint a bullyson dog.. Naw just keep him rubber tires and watch him dig up trees in your back yard while every one on your street calls you the pitbull guy. Welcome! J

9. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

shoot welcome to my world, and go figure my pups only 5 months lol. The only difference is she gets bored with one toy and switches to another, i currently gave her a 20" piece of cow hide and she's been busy with that for a while, got some huge cow bones in the freezer as well. Just keep chewing things infront of the dog and u should be in good shape, also set him up on a chain spot and he should work out his energy during the day.

10. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Pup

I would stay away from any sort of tire, as they are toxic and some have wires in them.Like someone already mentioned, if you want to tire your dog out, get flirt pole and attach a cow hide to it,

11. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

That is why I like to have 2 pups a male and a female. They chew on each other when I put them out 3 times a day. They will go at it for an hour straight until they are both too exhausted to even stand up any more...they just lay there next to each other still trying to swap out holds. Both are pretty marked up but nothing that won't heal. I know the day will come soon when they no longer play nice and that is when they will start running next to the bike and playing fetch/tug/etc.

I just supervise and separate em if they get too serious. I have found this to be the only way to get pups truly tired. Everything else, they lose interest after 2 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  12. Tires are not good to use at all. Use cowhides for the poles, and try a bowling ball for some extra entertainment. They are great exercise and pretty much indestructible, just make sure you fill/cover the holes as you do not want their teeth to snatch the inside, it could damage them.

13. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

He sure is a pain in the arse... darn dog is full of drive, energy and brains!

He has LOTS of Crenshaw dogs on the bottom and Midnight Cowboy and others on top. He is pretty tightly line bred far as I can tell.

I have two female Presa that run him into the ground (he is much smaller than they are. We will be walking every evening. I work all of my dogs in obedience twice a day. I have a weight pull harness on order for him to get him started on that.

Right now my schedule is such that he can work the springpole for 45 minutes in the morning, half hour at my lunch break and then again till I bring him in at night. He just keeps going at it till I pull him off...

I will have to get the things I need for a flirt.

He really isn't that interested in bones/ rope/ etc. He is a plastic fiend though.

Genevieve

PS- I am that crazy GIRL with two Presa and a pit...

14. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

The bead on a tire is the inner part that touches the rim. As to the toxicity, never had issues with that. As to the steel, dont use a belted tire, but a 6 ply tire, and when the bead is cut out, the steel is gone. A good mudder will last a while.

15. ARAPBT

ARAPBT Pup

Flirt poles are good exercise and fun for both you and the dog. Springpoles are as well and you don't have to be involved. I will put mine on the spring pole for an hour or less and go in the house if I need to get ready for work or whatever and they entertain themselves. I don't let them continously hang on this setup. The spring stretches enough to where their back legs can touch so they just bounce and play tug-o-war with it.
    I attach them with the thick natural brown braided rope. Its the biggest they sale at Lowes. Dogs will shred cotton and the nylon is rough on the teeth and gums. 20ft will last all year. When I attach the toys like goughnuts or burlap sacks, I use this rope. It is attached to the spring via carabiner. I also agree in not using tires. It is toxic, plus it will break off and the dog can swallow the chunks. Not to mention the steel braid/belt in most modern day tires. I would not want to mess with trying to take that out either. I prefer the modern day toys made specifically for animals. Instead of bowling balls, I use boomer balls. They have a website as well. They make heavy duty toys for dogs and Zoo animals. If a full grown African Lion can't mess it up, an APBT can't either. If you have a dog that likes frisbee like mine do; then get a Hyperflite Jawz disc. I have had the same one for over 3 years now. Well over 5,000 catches from a hard mouth dog with no holes so far. Virtually indestructable and my dogs will ruin most cheap plastic disc on the first bite. Just my opinion and this is what works best for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008