1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Big Chains

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Ninety-Nine, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Ninety-Nine

Ninety-Nine Big Dog

Anyone else find it a bit over the top, and why do people tether their dogs with chains big enough to tow a bulldozer with?

2. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

I can't tell if you are trolling or serious. Better safe than sorry.

3. sega

sega Big Dog

Pretty retarded thread

4. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I guess it depends on what you concider a big chain.

5. tboy

tboy Pup

I use chains i see fit to properly contain a certain dog.

6. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

I see what they are saying. How many times do you check a pedigree and see the dog that looks like it weighs 40 pounds and has a chain bigger than you can buy at home depot. It is not necessary and I think that is the point they are trying to make.

7. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

1/4" High tensile is all that is needed. Anything bigger is just added stress on joints.

8. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

Grade 100
    9/32"
    4300 lb W.L.L.

Above is my prefered chain. Weighs .74 lbs per foot where the 3/8 is 1.47 lbs per foot.

Little expensive but it is extremely high wear rate means it will last damn near forever.

Grade 70
    1/4"
    Transport
    3150 lb W.L.L.

Grade 43
    1/4"
    High Test
    2600 lb W.L.L.

Grade 30
    1/4"
    1300 lb W.L.L.

Grade 30
    3/8"
    2650 lb W.L.L

Grade 30
    1/2"
    4500 lb W.L.L.

Get chain for lifting here or data from here!
    McMaster-Carr

9. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

There's overkill, like you see in pics with these guys trying to do the macho, "Conan" look, or something out of a video game, and there is underdone, which is not good enough for security. IMO, anyone who has dogs on chains and they don't know what gauge of chain is correct for the dog, just shouldn't have dogs on chains. Until they get a good eye for it, anyway. It's as simple as that. One shouldn't have to be a biophysicist to see what is too much or too little for proper security.
    I, too, know what 99 means, as I have seen it. All one can hope is that by way of some sort of common sense education on an individual basis, that people will not so often break down their poor dogs using tug boat gear. Sad truth is: We've got too many nutcuppers and not enough dog people.

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

yes its over the top but for the most part not sure why people care. its a rare occasion i see one big enough to do harm. it basically is someone letting everyone else know they are ignorant and if a dummy is gonna have a dog i'd rather the chain be to big than to small.

11. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Big chains are mostly used for conditioning.

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Isn't that kind of lazy? Lol

13. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Thats when i see them used mostly. Some put dog on big chains only when in a keep or during a pre keep.

14. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

This sounds like a very logical and intelligent response. I am not knocking anyone for using bigger chains but it was mentioned that one might use larger chains for conditioning is that really necassary ? Can't you just take the dog off the chain and work it on a mill, hand walking, cat mill, jenny, swimming ect? Or is it even necessary to add the larger chain if the dog is being heavily worked through other means?

15. Lazy fools who don't know how to condition a dog !!! They think they are strength training them. This is the first sign of an easy fish who don't know much about dogs.I know 2 so called dogmen who do this neither one of them is worth a f**k as a dogman !

16. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I was thinking lazy too that's why I asked lol ...

17. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Sadie, no. Not unless one is taking a dog to a specified strength event. Not for me, anyway. The ways you mentioned are more the pure conditioning means for an athlete, and if strength work is added for the one-on-one conditioned athlete, there are many other means which are far more well rounded and useful. There are many ways to strengthen a dog which include tissue tensile strength, balance, body strength, even air and quickness, which don't over bulk the dog. This is my opinion, and if someone likes bulk strength work for the one-on-one athlete, so be it. I'm not here to critique it for them. Just my choice from what results I have seen for a long time.
    But as you say, maintaining a dog on some big ass logging chain is not any form of actual conditioning, IMO.

18. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Ok Thanks TDK that's what I thought just wanted to clarify it didn't seem right to me that a dog would be placed on a large chain for conditioning means not when there are so many more effective ways to get results while working every part of the dogs body and mind just throwing a dog on a larger chain seems very lazy and half ass I can't see how that would help a dog get into top notch shape before a show. Thought maybe there might be some other reason someone would do this that I wasn't aware off so I thought I'd ask.

19. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Putting a dog on a large chain obviously isn't the ONLY means used in conditioning. Its just one strength building aspect of it.

20. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Using a big long chain isn't lazy, its smart and obviously that's not the sole method used. The point is to have a well balanced athlete. Besides cardiovascular endurance and muscle stamina a well balanced athlete is also powerful and explosive. Strength is a huge factor in sports.