1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Black Dog" Syndrome

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Suki, Nov 12, 2007.

1. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Re: "Black Dog" Syndrome

Black dog syndrome. Never hear of that. People tell me they like my dogs as well, but, I don't have any black/white/latino information considering I live around 99.9 percent white people.

Black dogs really show the muscle and definition, if in the right light. I think the photographing of the black dog is a reason people 'may' not like it. My parent's used to have a black great dane years ago and all it every looked like was tounge and whites of his eyes.

I would love an all white dog, I would definitely feed it :)

2. Atwater27

Atwater27 Big Dog

Hmmm, interesting.

What about the asian folks? Are they more akin to the yellow dogs?

3. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

Im a fan of black dogs. The best looking Game Dog on the planet IMO Chinaman...Black as the ace of spades. Our foundation dog, Jigger, black. My 1st keep, Rock, Black. ATK's Chula, as game as they come, black...Theres just something about em that Im partial to. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2007
  4. yellaman420

yellaman420 Big Dog

Guess it just depends on the dog and what youre getting it for. Ive heard of people who do shy away from a black dog when they go for the pet market. But a spotted dog or other color just looks flashier from a buyer's perspective. Most people want others to notice their dog as opposed to the black dog who is always kinda low key. My foundation male Vincent was so black he left paw prints on coal, but that was why I got him. He was off an Eli bred female and his whole litter turned out black except one buckskin. So the Black was a selling point for me as proof of his heritage. I think a lot of Eli/Bullyson pups get moved if they show the black instead of the buckskin or black mask that these lines throw as well. Just depends on the buyer/adopter. But its all racist when you look at it!(sarcasm) =)

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Like I've said previously, I don't think it's got a darn thing to do with the actual color of the dog. I think it's more of an issue that black dogs (specifically labs & lab mixes) are so much more common thus there are more of them euthanized sheerly due to the numbers game.

6. Re: "Black Dog" Syndrome

I remember having this discussion on a rescue forum and it makes sense, black is a sinister color, people naturally associate a golden or light coate with being friendlier...it applies to cats too...black cats are overlooked nore often than the calico's or pretty ones...it's another form of racial profiling, my black dog is lab/chow and cute as a button, wouldn't trade him for a million dollars

7. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I disagree. You'd think more people would make black dogs, because black is Slimming. ;) lol...but seriously, I understand not wanting a black cat because it is associated with bad luck, and because it's a cat. yucky! ;)...But the whole sinister thing doesn't make sense in dogs, because Black Labs are like America's favorite breed...I am going to have to agree with Mia on this. It's probably just that more black dogs are breed more than the others.