1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

bloodline or gameness?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by mac 11, May 29, 2009.

1. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

What up Game-dog people? I was reading a book last night and something hit me(well I actually got the idea from the book). Which do you think is more important, the gameness of the indivual dog or the bloodline? The book was saying pre 76 law change that if a dog was matched but his/her conditioning was not the best it could be, then by the end of the match the dog will be game tested. Then it goes to say if the conditioning is the best it could be and then you would be testing the bloodline and not the gameness of the indivual animal because if it stopped it wouldn't be from lack of wind. I hope that made since the way I put it. So what are your opinions?

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I would rather have a scatterbred game dog than a pretty pedigreed dog that isn't game, since it's the dog that makes the pedigree but in all reality I want both, game dogs with pretty peds.....I guess you can't always have your cake and eat it too...;)

3. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

You gotta look at what your gain or purpose is for the dog...

If he's a money gettin bettin match dog, hell fire good ones are where you find em, I'll feed and hunt any good dog ad long as he has worth, but a good huntn dog don't mean good breeding dog. Found out theat the hard way...

So you gotta ask your self... is he a hunting dog or a breeding dog???

As long as they are healthy in mind and body the dogs a keeper, its just what you do with him from the health tests...

4. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

People base alot on bloodline and in many cases breed a dog just cause of the paperwork. I like paperwork but i love a performance dog, so i would take a game dog over a pretty pedigree. Just knowing you have a real game dog in your living room is one of the best feelings i ever had, aside from watching my son being born.

5. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

If I can't eat it I don't want cake!!!

6. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

I don't think yawl understand what I'm saying, To match a dog is not game testing a dog, and game testing is not matching. So what i'm saying is do you believe in the gameness of the bloodline or gameness the indivual animal. When I say gameness of the bloodline your dog has to be in peak condition so that it won't stop in a match due to lack of wind. And gameness of the indivual dog comes when you take a dog off the chain and game test it.

This thread is for historical purposes only.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2009
  7. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Along the lines of what BR stated, a dog can perform out of this world but if it is scatterbred or if it is of unknown lineage, your odds of re-producing this through it's offspring is much lower.
    A dog that performs and has a solid background is much more valuable in a breeding program than a performer with an unknown background.

No matter what the breed, lines that are bred for performance or even looks usually have extensive records of the breeding. This allows them to know what produces the best offspring and increases the odds that you can reproduce the same type of results in the future. Pedigrees don't make the dog but they do have a purpose.

8. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Then I will have to go with the gameness of the individual dog rather than the bloodline as a whole. I think that is a hard question to answer and it depends on what your intentions are for owning said dog, if your in the [ ] then I want the game individual and wouldn't much care how the dog was bred just that he don't stop, now if your a breeder and not actually [hunting] with your dog then I would want the bloodline because like Tommy3 said the odds are better to reproduce solid dogs within a solid bloodline of dogs.

9. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

I think I kno what your askin... For a [] dog I would take a hard biting fool that could win a match in under :30...he's gonna be the one to win the cash... I would take the otc game dog to breed... This is all pre-76 of course

10. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

The match WAS the test ! If you could win over Top Comp in your area you had better Dogs Plain and simple. A hard mouth curr allways runs into one that can take it and give it back in Good Comp. You can only play the ruff card so long some one will pull it sooner or later!!!

11. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

But don't you think the match would just test the conditoning of the dog.

12. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Hell No!!! Conditioning only went so far. You still had to have hart. To be honest most dog (Back in the day Of Corse) will go for hours off the chain. Alot of guys ruin a good dog buy Thinking they can Condition a dog. Most would have been better off with good feed and no keep.

13. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

I like the way you make a point tripleJ

14. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Dont get me wrong working a dog good (WAS a good part) But the fact is the only time it ever came in to play is if you had two honest going at it. Most of the time it was not that way. One was better ! But some times it was that way and Yes the best dog and man won! but for the most part it was like this ( they thought they had it in the bag and slept on the job) Then the under snuck up and made some one cry. I dont want anyone to think they dont need to be 100% Yall got to put in that bank befor you take out. Ya Know what I mean?

15. HBK

HBK Big Dog

Some would say a "Game Test" isn't the only determining factor in breeding a dog but "winning" is. Winners that produce winners are what a "dog man" wants they will ALL quit eventually and most "dog men" know this. The "game test" is just to see how long (at least at the time of the test) a dog will last. Some willl die before they stop, some will go 30,45 or more. Ability and style was always evaluated too.

Example: if I had a dog that went over 1hr, three times and was a 3x winner. I would not then test him repeadly,,, 2 dog or 3 dog him to see what he had. I would have seen enough already to satisify me.

Every time you do this to the dog it shortens his life.

This is all hypothetical obviously.

16. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

And You would be right!! Thats what i am saying. aGame dog is what we are all after(But a game plug that has NO mouth No wind and is justa drag rag) Is not what we are after to be a dog man Or women we must strive to better every breeding we make. Now that being said all ways bred game dogs. NEVER breed a buster just for mouth always look deep in there sole. But if you have everything hard ass dogs that have hart then your are set. The point I was making is you can NEVER work hart in a dog they have it or they dont. I dont give two shits how bad your dog is on mouth if the first time a good hog gives it back they meet you at the truck. Well what good is it. I dont care if he can run fr 100 miles it dont matter. They have to be the "TRUTH" are they are Just STAFFs

17. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

^^^^ Noted. Thanks J words to live by.

Vic

18. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

TripleJ I respect your insight, and I also think you have a small fan club, but you contradicted yourself in this post here. You said a game dog is what we are all after but if he can't bite or has no lungs then its not what we want. Then you say in every breeding we make we should try and better our dogs, then never breed a buster just for mouth always look deep into there sole. That to me sounds like look to see if they are game or not, could be wrong. If you have a game dog that can't bite, I'd rather have that over a hard bitting cur. We are talking about worthy dogs, and IMO you can build hart in a dog, its called being a good dog man. How many times have you heard a dog doing what he/she is suppose to do and it gets sold and becomes a cur in the other persons eyes. HBK, I don't believe that if you have a dog that won 3x over an hour mark its a game dog. IMO, that means that the animal was conditoned. And IMO the game test should come before the match.OP if you start with a good dog and he is conditioned to his peak he should not quit and if he does you may want to look at that blood line. I hate talking dogs and not being able to respond as soon as something is said.LOL!

19. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Thats not what I got from that. To me it sounded like J was saying we all want a game dog but that aint all thats important. thats like a Running back who can run the ball like nobody else. but he scared to get hit or cant hold on to the ball. or better yet a boxer that can take a punch but he got no hands. Not goin to be very effective. but if you can get a boxer who can take whatever you throw at em and you can teech him to throw the hands then thats what you want. Thats more so what I got from that.

and the whole 3xw thing. it would depend on the situation. if the dog is dominating the whole match then I wouldn't say that make him gamethat would show he was conditioned. even if it went 5 hours. Now if he takin a beating that hour and the other dog bringin the fight to him for that hour + then yeah i would say he game. The situation would determine.JMO

Vic

20. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

to many formulars lol...