1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Blue Lacy" Dogs....

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by AKPit, Jul 27, 2009.

1. AKPit

AKPit Big Dog

"Blue Lacy" Dogs....

Just curious...I just happened across an article about a "Blue Lacy" Dog that was lost after hurricane IKE in Texas and found again after 10 months...interesting article but I had never heard of that breed so I went snooping...Im not sure what I found was true or not....

Alot of the dogs I saw in pix look like they could be pit mixes however the supposedly "legit" registry website said they were brought down from greyhound/scenthound/coyote cross. Being that there are alot of designer dogs going around I wasnt sure what to think even though it says this breed has been around since the 1800s.

Anyone on here have any experience w/ the breed or know anything about it...I am interested in learning more about it and it's breed characteristics....I would love to see more pictures too if you own them.

Thanks in advance for info :)

2. augustL

augustL Pup

Re: "Blue Lacy" Dogs....

I am not a expert by any means, but its definitely not like a labradoodle or anything. Its a working breed.

I just got back a pit/lacy mix that was adopted out as a pup.Sweet dog, but a pain in the ass. Very hyper and wants to kill anything that runs. I will send in pics to post.
    It was developed in the Texas Hill Country(where Im from) and was recently made into the state dog of Texas.

This is a cool set showing working lacys.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieanna/2226408890/in/set-72157605027566732/

3. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

I thought You were talking about a striper I once dated lol

4. preme

preme CH Dog

you dated her too...lol

5. simms

simms CH Dog

6. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

They have a picture of them with hogs, I wonder if they are catch dogs? They referred to them as Blue lacy game dogs

7. Groaners

Groaners Pup

Blue Lacy's have been around for a long while. Supposedly a cross between English Shepherd type dogs, greyhounds, and coyotes but they just came from the same stock as the other "CUR" type dogs just they generally run a little smaller and are more "HOUND"-like in working ability and grit. They do have more than a hint of running hound in them. They are a general cow, hog, trapline, blood trail, and tree dog. Not usually a catch dog and not a real tight bay dog either, but definitely have grit and hustle and will hunt and work all day long and beg for more. "QUIT" is a big no-no to them :) No personal experience here just what I've heard.
    OH and supposedly Fred Gipson (author of Old Yeller) was acquinted with the founding Lacy brothers and based the book partly on the stories he heard from them.

Neat dogs :D
    [​IMG]