1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

blue pits real or fake?

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by BDK, May 11, 2004.

1. Yeah, that what everyone says till they see him in person. Then it's always "I thought he was bigger. He looked bigger in the pics". He only stands 16" at the shoulder and weighs about 45lbs. Basically I haven't found a forum yet where we fit in. He's either to scrawny, to short, to wide or to tall. He's not show quality by any standard I don't think. Not that I care about that he's for sport not show. But he will hit that rope until I call him off. I can't leave it hung if I'm not there to watch because I do think he would swing till his heart gave out. The longest I have let him hit it at one session was almost an hour. This is kind of a last effort to find a forum for us. Any ideas?

2. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Pitbull Chat would be a good forum for you there is a wide variety of owners who own pit bull type breeds ... But the dog looks like an Amstaff/ American Bully I can almost bet this dog has some bully blood in him not all American Bullies have the bone and mass you see with the ABKC show dogs your dog would fall more towards the classic bully which is where there is so much confusion for many pit bull type owners. The general public would call your dog a Pitbull or an Apbt because they have no general idea of what the game dog looks like our dogs have been overshadowed by the bully craze. Bully breeders started off by breeding game dogs x amstaffs later adding and mixing other bulldog type breeds in and started calling them Apbt's eventually they got bigger and bigger and became so popular the general public started to buy into the Pitbull being a very large breed of dog when in fact it's just the opposite. The game dog is the Apbt and was bred for performance and Gameness not looks not size and not color. You see plenty of blue staffs and American bullies not a surprise as those dogs were bred for looks. If you don't have a pedigree on the dog no one can say either way the general public will say its a Pitbull because they don't know any better. But an educated Apbt owner or breed fancier knows the difference. Toy drive doesn't mean anything lots of bullies or staffs have toy drive gameness however is a very distinctive trait in the APBT it's not one of those traits you could confuse with prey drive, toy drive, or how much weight a dog can pull down the WP track. Gameness is a trait that applies to the Apbt the pit dog the box dog the performance warrior a dog who can withstand extreme punishment loss and adversity and still continue to fight through it all even until death. Gameness is one of those traits that's very difficult to obtain and just as easy to loose if its not maintained and tested for each generation. Obviously a show dog would not possess those types of traits as they were bred for something completely different that's the best way I know how to explain it to you. Your dog looms happy and loved and while I don't believe the dog is an APBT you will face the same predjudices, hate, and scrutiny that all Apbt owners do when it comes to the media, Bsl, and the general public. So educate yourself on the different breeds so you know where you stand.

3. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

looks like an amstaff

4. I actually am educated in when it comes to the differences in bullies and APBTs. I threw this out just for a general idea of where I would stand in this forum. He is a bully (assuming you had not read my other post before responding here) he is 75% RE and 25% Remy. Heavy on Knuckles and Cairo. It's not just the bone mass he lacks of the bully but the squished face and short snout as well. The funny thing is when I photoshop his color and make him black everyone always thinks he is APBT but as soon as I post pics not color changed everyone thinks he is AmStaff. So which is it? He isn't even half the size of the bullies around here he isn't even half the size of the so called APBTs around here! He's a small little turd that I could have lost last Christmas when he got into a brawl with my grandfathers bull because my dumb butt hubby got to close to it with him and it got nervous then upset and then exploded (they have had problems with wild dogs in that area so the bull and heifers are all over definsive when it comes to dogs of any kind) He let go of his leash while trying to run away like an idiot (hes a city boy and didnt remember anything I tried to teach him!) and Loco turned back on the bull. Two fractured ribs and a lot of body bruising. To be honest I wish it had been my hubby that got it! He didn't know how to take on a bull he hadn't been trained that way. He kept going for the stinking nose of the bull. Just like he would a hog. He got trampled twice before my grandfather and uncle got the bull distracted and then we (my hubby and I) had to get ahold of him and pull him back. We didn't even realize he had been hurt that bad until I took him to the vet two days later when they opened just to have him looked at because of the whole ordeal. It was the same day we took those pics of him in the field. I have been on Pitbull Chat though and found it ok. But as I said earlier I don't think there is a real place for us anywhere. He is too deifferent for anyone to be able to except. All I can say is he has all of the heart of a game dog and the look of something else. It makes it hard. Even my friends AmStaff (the other dog in the pic) can't keep up with him. But he just looks so small next to all of the other dogs that I have stopped associating with them because I am tired of being the only one around here that has a dog that can actually go hiking and camping with us and doesn't pass out of its more than 80 outside. Yet they give my "Scrappy dog" a hard time for not being a blimp! He does do well with other dogs though as long as they dont start anything. I reckon I will keep trying to find a place in this world.

5. jacko

jacko CH Dog

you could try the SBT side on this forum. i know he is not sbt but there are similar type dogs over there.

6. I have been looking there thank you. I have also been looking at all of the pics from both sides and to be honest if he had been a different color people would be more open on what they thought he was. He was the only "blue" from his litter. Then there was one chocolate rednose color and all the rest were black and white. If I had posted pics of his litter mates first or altered his color on the pics before posting he would be seen differently. He is much leaner than the dogs on the other side look to me. I will be all over this whole forum bouncing around testing the waters though. Maybe I will alter the color of some of his pics and see what people think. No matter what people claim appearances have a big impact on everyone's perception of things.

7. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

My opinion was based of the dogs look not color. The face of the dog didn't look to me like the majority of apbt's I see. I would have said the same opinion if the dog was brindled, red, black or any other color.

8. MCS

MCS CH Dog

Thought the same about the face as well. body wise looks good though.

9. Thank you both! AGK and MCS! That least that's a real reason! It make SMS curious as to your opinions on some other dogs but I andy not sure if I should post them here or somewhere else. Loco was 4-6months old in most of those pics. The most recent ones are the ones in the pasture and those where last Christmas. You are the first to say anything about his face.

10. Geez talk about typos!! If I need to retype that let me know!

11. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Well I didn't read your other posts but I could see the American Bully in the dog based on the shape of the head. What you have to understand is the Original Re foundation was primarily Apbt x Staff crosses which is why your dog doesn't fit the ABKC standard today. As the American Bullies have evolved into a much larger dog with more mass and bone than the original stock so that is why your dog doesn't fit the ABKC standard. But based on the bloodline of your dog he/she would be considered an American Bully if you ever wanted to compete in the ABKC your dog would have a hard time placing because it lacks the bone and mass the judges want to see in the show ring. I would consider your dog to be a classic bully those dogs look the foundation dogs before Dave Wilson and those guys started breeding much larger dogs and crossing in other breeds. Like I said just because you own a bully doesn't mean it has to be unfit and fat I have several friends who own bullies that look just like your dog they are between 40-60lbs and look more like UKC Amstaffs than they do ABKC bullies. There are plenty of forums that I have been on whose owners own bullies by pedigree that fall outside the ABKC standards. Like I said you own a classic bully that is why your dog doesn't look like the typical low rider bully with extreme mass and bone.

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

This is my friends classic bully the dog lacks the bone and mass an ABKC bully should show but the dog is a bully based on pedigree however the dog could most likely be shown in the UKC as those dogs look more like Amstaffs than they do APBTs

[​IMG]

Here is a registered AKC Amstaff

[​IMG]

Here is a UKC registered APBT

[​IMG]

And this is a game bred APBT and what you will see at most Adba shows

[​IMG]

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Your dog

[​IMG]

My friends dog who is also heavy on the Razors Edge looks just like your dog she calls her dog a bully because that is what it is but she has a classic bully.

[​IMG]

14. What do these look like?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Cats..........

16. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

If you enjoy your dog,then who cares what people think.Personally,the whole bully breed annoys me,so if I can stand your dog then surely anyone else can.I've never figured out why they were ever bred in the first place and has been causing APBT owners problems ever since.But for a bully,staff or whatever your dog is,it looks ok,you like it and feed it so have fun with your dog and don't worry about how you fit in everywhere.It's not an APBT but you're welcome here.The same food,medical and other information will still apply to your dog.The problem we normally have with bully people is that they breed some really horrible specimens of dogs,overpopulate the world with them to the point most people lump our dogs in with the bullies and when the bullies cause problems we pay for it.You don't see well bred,game bred dogs overpopulating shelters usually (whether you like Garner or hate him,have you ever seen a dog from his yard at the pound).It's nearly always a mix or a bully. Then to top it they want to talk bad about us and our dogs on the internet,compare their dogs to ours,when a half retarded chimp could tell the difference.So my problem is honestly more with the turds that breed these dogs and try to pass them off as an APBT than the actual dogs.I feel sorry for most bullies actually.Whatever yours is,it looks healthy and well cared for,athletic enough to walk and do some things with.It's not a bulldog and don't have the drive of a bulldog,but it don't have to be,if you're happy with it.Not all my dogs are APBTs,I have a few Boston Terriers and a couple mutts so I do have the ability to like most dogs at least a little.

17. Kenaii

Kenaii Pup

Didn't Stratton say he's seen blue APBTs?

18. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Shit if you dont act like a typical blue dog ownerand dont claim you bully to be APBT you will have no issue here, I havnt had a problem and I own a blue mutt.
    Honestly who cares what his color is, his shape looks Amstaff/Ambully and like whats been said he is bully and a classic looking one at that.

I treat my dog like a dog, not a blue dog. He doesnt care what color he is. He isnt fat or wide or bowed and has a regular sized head. He doesnt look as classic bully as yours but I am in the same general group, the not obese/freakish blue dog.

19. There are and have been "blue" apbt's in history, although they were never reffered to as blue in color until it became a marketing strategy in modern times. The first "blue" type color apbt that I know of was a Lightner dog named Imp II, who lost to Searcy Jeff handled by Earl Tudor. Also, some of the dogs down from Bellon breeding have also shown that "blue" color, which I refer to as grey but blue is just as descriptive.
    These were all dogs of known origins and known breeding so there can be no doubt about their heritage.

However, the apbt breed is not based on any color, size or phenotype at all. It is based purely on two things that those are genetics and performance. So if you don't know the genetics behind your dog and if your dog has not performed like a bulldog then it is most likely you have some cur-cross (cur being a non-apbt in this sense).

I have noticed throughout the years that most of the people who ask questions like these are those who purchased a dog based on the way it looks, because it seems to fill some void and makes the owner feel a bit more "tough", only to find out later what a true apbt is and hoping, praying that someone that the person looks up to will tell him something nice about his dog that he wants to hear like,, yeah that's an apbt. But unfortunately I am sorry to say that no matter how many people say it, and no matter how nice the dog may look you will never really be entirely convinced the dog is an apbt, and rightfully so.

This same reasoning applies to the American Staffordshire Terrier, a breed that has its basis in the original Fighting Staffs of England (such as Black Jack, Braddock and others). Neither is your dog one of these Am-Staffs as they also can trace their genetics back to these dogs and the folks that breed them are well aware of their origins and genetics, though many may try to hide it due to the nature of the breed back then.

Now there is nothing wrong with a cur-cross dog, I myself had one and enjoyed him fully for 13 years until he passed on. However, I never put demands on my dog that I knew were beyond his capabilities. Nor did I expect him to be anything like our apbt's were so I was extremely happy and proud of my cur-cross dog for what he was which was an excellent caretaker of my family and home and a great companion to us all.

This reminds me of a conversation we had a few years (or maybe more lol) back with Mr. Morfin and a newcomer to the breed who asked the question...
    "Mr. Morfin can you tell me about the blue pit bull?"
    Mr. Morfin replied, "no, I am sorry but I can't tell you anything about those dogs"
    When the young man asked why, Mr. Morfin replied, "I have never seen one".

My suggestion is that you don't try to equate your dog to any of the apbt's you may see as it will only bring you frustration and doubt. Enjoy your fine animal and be proud of him for what he is, and the day you want to dispell any of those doubts you now have take ownership of a dog that you can be sure of its origins and genetics and then no matter what the dog looks like or what color it may be or no matter what anyone tells you, you will always have certainty about the breed of your dog.

20. Here is a picture of one of our "blueish" colored apbt's whose origins and breeding are known to us. As you can see, they do exist.

[​IMG]