1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Books on conditioning a bulldog?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dragonpit, Mar 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

Are there any books on bulldogs that talk about conditioning a dog, and I know some info (post pics soon of dogs) but I was talking secrets on conditioning from GREAT dogmen (old timers), so book name(s) and or I guess if you know a lil some and want to share, just trying to get info and hopefully better the breed with it. To elaborate on the above, reg dog books and online stuff/ heard on here- walking, using a mill, using weights, is common knowlege though- imo,... hiit traing, and rub down, 30 min window, vertex or rf-1, loading, good diet, hot/cold , are things that newbies don't know or a reg dog person on the street. So is there any more info I can get from a recommended book, you, ect. All comments welcome, thank you in advance.

2. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

IMO, there is no great hidden secret. The only way to condition is by busting your ass with the dog. Different people prefer different methods, however....one that i really like is just walking the dog. It seems people are always looking for some magical way to condition a dog in a week( not implying you), and fail to realize that it takes time, and a whole lot of dedication.....good diet.

3. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

I wasn't asking for majic, and it does take time I was asking if there was any other useful suggestions on conditioning a dog, there is more to it than just going out on a 2 hour walk and bam it's lil bit! (though I know lil bit does less than that to keep figure) I am talking about the rest of us (hole world).

4. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Well, to be quite honest....i know a few people that do nothing but walking, and have amazing results.

Playing fetch on inclined hill is great for conditioning.

5. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

Yes but not 90% of the public or dog shows and weight pull,don't just walk the dog, they all put in alot of time, money, energy, and research, thats what I was sayin, I was looking for other info, I have great results just everyone does thier own thing, and thanks for the comments! BD

6. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

i think personally, keeping it simple is best and knowing firstly just what you are conditioning for,ie: conformation show, weight pull agillity, endurance so on.
    the hard thing even with all the info is perfecting or tuning to your dogs indavidual needs. they are all different, and what works on one, may not work on another. i can not condition any of mine the same as the next, there is always some adjustments made and just when you think you get it right and you get a good result, what happens? you think of something that may improve on it lol...
    i have one here D'S Bud, he looks to be well conditioned 99% of the time, and if i told you i conditioned him like that, you would believe it, but he is not worked as such. if i want to condition him, all i have to do is work on building stamina, he has the shape and strenght. so on and so on.....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  7. dragonpit

dragonpit Big Dog

exactly! thanks.

8. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

" The Pitbull Bible" and Cali Jack's " Indispensable Tips" are both good books and the keeps are top notch. And believe it or not , but books on K-9 protection work have good conditioning methods as well, many of them used slat mills too.

9. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

If you can spend time with someone who knows how to put one shape that will be your best bet. It takes time to be able to do it right.There is plenty of good keeps online for you to chose from.TRY a bunch of them on difrent dogs then take what works best for you and make a keep of your own.Now is a good time with the winter weather.

10. teras

teras Big Dog

well, you gotta look for pitbull keeps etc in google. there is a lot of info there available for free. check the free stuff first before getting into spending fortunes on individual keeps that promise miracles.

moreover, while reading all that stuff, keep in mind that some dogs were doped and endured some realy hard workouts. others seem to be more simplistic and promise a lot while spending little time conditioning.

keep in mind that i'm newbie and havent done any of the above...