1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking a terrier from trash scent. HELP!

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by jrpitdog, Apr 29, 2013.

1. jrpitdog

jrpitdog Pup

So I got a new Jagdterrier, she is awesome. I have taken her out a few times for some earth work and she is very eager and all over the place. I got her only a few weeks ago and shes 4 years old. I dont think she was ever hunted before. She knows what shes supposed to do but needs some focus and training. For those that dont know Jagd's have a very good nose compared to a lot of terriers, they are often used for trailing and not just dispatching of the game. So my problem is there are a TON of ground squirrels where I go and I want her to only dig and go after badgers and rock chucks (ground hogs). She seems to be interested in every stinkin ground squirrel hole there is. I know the tried and true method of hanging part of a carcass of the dead animal you want to break them of off there collar for a couple weeks. That would be easy enough I guess. I was just wondering if anybody has had the need to do this or if there are other methods I could try? Thanks

2. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

The best thing to do is get,wanted posters of the game ya want your dog to hunt, and hang,em' all-over it's kennel run...................i could picture a dog running around with a half of badger around it's neck..............w.t.f......just let your dog be a dog and do it's own thing,,,,if..it's any.. Good it will catch on...

3. jrpitdog

jrpitdog Pup

You misunderstood me, I WANT the dog to go after badger, I dont want her to go after ground squirrels, which are oh about 5 inches long and weigh a few ounces. Do you actually know anything about scent training?? Many scent trailing dogs will go after whatever scent they happen to find, I want my dog to only go after certain things, so just letting 'do its own thing' will only get me so far.

4. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

Oh''''the local hunt down my way do...scent chaseing etc;...think they jus bring older dog's with the youngsters,they catch on soon enough ..try him with older experinced dogs....ps;pulling your leg on the posters...........

5. djbenz

djbenz Pup

What about trapping a badger and bringing the dog to the cage. Let the dog get fired up, then release the badger. Let the badger get a little head start, so your dog has to search for the game. He should get the idea. Disclaimer: I do nt know much about scent work, but I just think that would be worth a try.

6. devonte151

devonte151 Fast Lane Bulldogs

Catch a badger in trap then you could kill it and you the hide for scent or just do what djbenz said

7. jrpitdog

jrpitdog Pup

Thanks for the replys, I have a pretty good idea of how to train her to go after badger, the problem is getting her to not go after other stuff as well. Anyways Ill try some things and see how it goes.

8. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

To change a dog's natural prey drive,i would say will be difficult,,fox-hounds,,when young are ran with the hunt pack.after fox...the thing with an older terrier is that b-4 ya had him he was probaly hunting all kind of game and vermin to get him to concentrate on one prey item..at his age ya may be wasteing time..un-less you bring him out with other hounds that are going out for the paticular prey item ya want to hunt...ya have a hard job in front of ya....good luck........

9. what part of Idaho are you in? Trap a squirrel in a live trap.... if ya know how to use an e collar.... give the dog the correction when she gets interested in the squirrel.... few trys and she should get the hint...

10. djbenz

djbenz Pup

Yeah, I like pitdawg's idea. I think that would workMaybe even have a trail you want him to follow, and if he starts after the squirrel there will be a correction.