1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding to a well bred cur?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by NC, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

who was he bred to first? i see he produced 2 champions when bred to howard's red, he was also bred to his sister which was a champion.
    my guess is that he produced well in his first litter so he was used again.

there are more people breeding to loser's then you would think and some of them curred out before even leaving the yard for the hunt. if they dont tell nobody then no one will know, at least mayfield let us know

2. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

straight up pit bull pride, Ive been thinking that. thats what I was thinking too woody, its still ignorant know matter what bitch you took-

3. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Such is life, How do you know that those dogs wont be deserving, it's been said that when you breed shit to shit you get even more shit, but what about when you breed best to best, do you get better? I didn't think so, it's all a risk some are just a little bit more predictable than others.

4. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Ya momma's ignorant newb!

5. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

if breeding is a gamble, id prefer to play the odds then. i guess if a person has the room, time, and finances, then more power to them, but unfortunately im short on all three:D

6. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

Cheese will do for brains, if you're lucky.

7. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Big Dog

It's obvious alot of people on this thread have no knowledge of history. Breeding to Nigger wasn't hindsight it was a risk worth taking because there have been very few prepotent producers EVER! A dog usually throws the average of what he is (pedigree), this is why you aren't breeding to an individual but what his make up is.

Honeybunch arguably the best female producer of all times was off the cur Bullyson. Bullyson was a top notch pit dog from a litter of top notch pitdogs. You think it was a secret he was able to reproduce top notch pit dogs?...NO! The reason is plain and simple...his pedigree. His son Buster was supposedly cold but being a real ROM dog he was able to produce what was behind him...his pedigree. Awesome Baby another excellent producer was supposedly cold well being probably the second best female producer ever she was able to produce her pedigree.

It's not a huge gamble matter of fact it's no gamble at all because the best predictor of future events is past events!

People are all caught up on cur this or cur that. I'll take a top notch pit cur down from top notch pit dogs over the gamest plug with a pedigree full of game plugs. In a match gameness will ALWAYS be the LAST thing seen, if you can't make it to that point what's the purpose? All you did was subject a game plug dog to a cruel game test.

8. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

funny, you never hear about the ones who didnt produce.

9. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i dont think its so much a lack of knowledge as it is a different set of ethics. even if i were in a better setup, and could have a yard full of dogs, im still not gonna breed a quitter simply because of whats on his ped...plain and simple.

10. preme

preme CH Dog

It Would Be No Fun If Everybody Thought I Like Good To See The Different Point Of Views..

11. TNK

TNK Pup

one more time for the kids on the short bus . . . . . ;)

12. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

thats why scratch to win works......it stops the cur from winning. a match isnt a death match its a scratch contest. thats why gameness first and foremost.
    j

13. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Big Dog

I think I might have short changed Mayfield a little considering the time line. Probably another reason and the main reason he went with Nigger was the "Dibo Dogs" changed the game forever. The Dibo dogs made alot of familys bred for gameness obsolete.

Mayfield I'm sure saw alot of Dibo dogs winning and winning in short order was the reason he chose to breed Dibo dogs. Since Mayfield matched alot of dogs I'm sure he didn't want to sit around and watch 2-3 hour matches especially when a dog could shut down a show in quick order.

Carver being the hustler he was took the ball and ran with it. The cur Bullyson was very instrumental in pit dog history especially for Carver. People wanted Carver dogs for one reason...WINNING! People paid high prices for his dogs because he wasn't selling brood stock he sold pit dogs. When it came time to match those dogs the only gamble they made was hoping the dog was GAME ENOUGH TO WIN. Before breeders main priority was breeding for gameness and let all the traits follow. Carver switched it up and bred for pit dogs and hoped for gameness to follow. Hindsight being 20/20 how successful was Carver in doing just that?

The cur Bullyson was instrumental in starting a trend when it came to matching dogs that hasn't to this day been reversed. There are alot of successful lines bred off Bullyson and all are known for high ability top notch pit dogs that throw the same. All you would have to do is start looking at the average match times from those Bullyson bred dogs to today's dogs, the average match times got shorter and shorter.

Maybe Mayfield saw the trend coming and was smart enough to stay ahead of the curve...who knows.

14. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Point taken, but why are there no/hardly no pure Zebo dogs running anymore, for instance? If you lose gameness you will eventually lose everything. If all you hope to produce is "game enough", you will eventually end up with something other than an APBT, which is inferior, IMO. I'm not saying a line can't benefit from the occasional infusion of more rank, but less game blood in it(history has shown that it can), but in the long run it will fail - you will probably end up with a bunch of 10 minute curs that will never dominate lb for lb contests. As soon as you have a dog smart and game enough to weather the storm, you've had it.

15. KeystoneState

KeystoneState Big Dog

I'd be very interested to see knightmare's opinion on this.

16. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

hey crazy horse, bullyson didnt quit just do some research and you will see. I have an old mag with an interview from a man that was there that said that maurice picked up, and he wasnt the only one to say that. If you go read the first report that don mayfield sent in it says and I nearly quote..maurice, showing good sportsmanship picks up a downed dog...or something within a word or two. I believe the name of the mag the story is in is called American Warrior.
    j

17. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

read randy foxs write up about his take on the benny v bullyson match. he claims he was there. good read none the less.

18. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

You also have to take in consideration that most curs that were bred, did so before they actually quit. Case in point, Bullyson. I am not a believer of putting pups down just because one of the parents quit after the litter was whelped. Just as most champions were bred before they earned their title. Back in the old days alot brood stock were never touched, so it didnt matter weather they performed or not. Today things are much different due to the over abundance of competition, not many kennels breed to untouched stock regardless of the pedigree. Its not a good or bad thing, its just preference.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  19. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

yeah right man, who didnt test their brood stock in the "old days"? I would love to hear this. All the good ones did, and thats why the stock from today from their line is still good.

20. TNK

TNK Pup

"old days" ? where were you in the game 25 years ago ?
    Yeah love to hear this I would :rolleyes:
    There were and still are MANY Good ones you will never hear of.

Please dont scratch a line you cant toe.