1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Crash97, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

At what age would it be best to first game test a future breeder? And all this talk of pedigree, but what if you were to have a proven, but non-pedigreed potential breeder? any response will be appreciated. feel free to p/m me also.

2. CRG

CRG Top Dog

un-registered dont matter if the dog is what you wanted it to be or peform how you want it to. there are members on this board that dont register because they know and love what they have.

3. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

When your going to game test a hunting dog, you should wait tell it's at least 2 yrs old...Some people don't wait that long and I say to each is own...Its just a good idea to wait to give the animal a chance to mature.....Not having papers on a dog and not knowing how the dog is bred are two different things...If you know how the dog is bred, but don't have any papers, that's cool, if you don't know how the dog is bred and he or she is a good dog, I might do this If it's a male I would breed him to 3 bitches and keep all the pups...If it's a female I would breed her 1 time and keep all the pups..But really if it was me I would get rid of the dog....YIS

4. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I have a small yard, so what should I look for in potential prospects( traits/personalities/etc.)

5. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

This all depends on what type of dog are you looking for. There are several different ways to approach your yard. This is a difficult question to answer in this manner.

What r ur goals? What type of dogs do u want to raise. Do you want to raise any? Why do u want to raise dogs? Are your actions helping or hurting the breed? How experienced ru with the breed?

Not trying to be picky......just trying to show u its not an easy question to answer without fully undertstanding you.

6. X

X Banned

Some of those questions may not need to be answered in public... just be careful :)

7. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I have a small female abt. 43 lbs. who came to me expecting pups. The father is a very stocky little male abt. 64 lbs. I am looking for 2 possible ..hog dogs.. I wish to raise my own and certainly wish to be a benefit to the breed. I am fairly experienced w/ the breed, yet know enough to know there is a lot more to learn. Any advice as to these ends is greatly appreciated.

8. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

Good personality foremost... the rest depends on what you want ot breed for... game or show??
    18months+ for testing.....

9. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I am not interested in show/conformation, just performance.

10. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

OK......based on what I have read so far......your bitch is not registered and you have unknown origin (you don't know her bloodlines). She's pregnant and going to drop pups from a dog whose line's you don't know or your not exactly happy with. As BNK stated before....."If you know how the dog is bred, but don't have any papers, that's cool, if you don't know how the dog is bred and he or she is a good dog, I might do this If it's a male I would breed him to 3 bitches and keep all the pups...If it's a female I would breed her 1 time and keep all the pups..But really if it was me I would get rid of the dog....YIS". My first step would be CULL and start over with a gamebred line of my personal choice. The is more than enough info here at Game-Dog for you to read to help you decide what lines you want. After you have done some reading I'm sure anyone here would gladly help persuade you to there kind of thinking. LOL;)

11. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Look , I would love a dog from a known proven gamebred line, but that's not in the budget right now. What I was wondering was if anyone had any tips on choosing the best pick of the litter for my purposes. Catch dog/Boar dog.

12. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Sorry bud.....wasn't trying to knock your dog.......what I would do is keep as many pups as long as possible. From these you will observe a dog amongst the bunch which is an ALPHA dog. What I mean by this is the dog won't take anything off of any the rest.....the others will back away when this pup shows teeth. This pup will generally be a healthy looking pup as he/she wont miss a meal...scrunching in between others and hogging there way in to a teat that they can suckle from till full but also could be the runt. Never have had a bad runt that I kept. This pup will have a drive above and beyond all the others. This puppy will stand up and say "Look at Me, I'm the One". This will be the dog that puts a twinkle in your eye every time you look at him. That is how u will know. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2004
  13. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Hey J Man no offense taken. I got the answers I was hoping to get. In fact the answers were so common sense that I was almost embarassed by the simplicity of it. It just makes sense.

14. BigTex

BigTex Pup

when picking young pups that are just a few weeks old....your best bet is just to pick one thats healthy and doesnt have any big conformation flaws.....i hate picking them that young though....best way is to wait till they are 5-6 months old...i dont always like the "alpha" pup...i like the one thats calm and confident.....that doesnt try to bully the others but will put them in their place when needed....JMO

15. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

This brings up another good question, is the alpha pup the best, or is the calm confident pup? Some say calm confidence shows more possible gameness. Some say the alpha type shows more fire. Please respond.

16. LA_Headhunters

LA_Headhunters Big Dog

When dealing with pups it's hard to have a proven way of getting a good one but if it holds on to it's quiet Confidence then it is usually a real good one. I have one that is like that. When another dogs gets in his face and is showing what they got he doesn't even give 'em a second thought. But if they get too close it's an eye opening expierence for them. As I said before it's real hard to tell when they're pups.

17. Redtail74

Redtail74 Big Dog

To me the confident one is the way to go. I look at it like this, there is always a bigger bully waiting around the corner and its only a matter of time before you run into him. Confidence you can always build on.

18. AC

AC Big Dog

I have a male whose dam was ADBA reg. but never knew how she was bred only saw the square reg. paper stating her parents. And his sire was of unknown origin. And he's a really good dog. I have only bred him once and sold all the pups. But I just use him as a roll dog now.

19. AC

AC Big Dog

By the way I bred him to another female dog I used to have of unknown origin that's when I sold the litter.