1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing Fire to a family

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Sampson1, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

Ok so im sure alot of people on here have heard that Colby dogs on there own dont stack up to the other bloodlines of modern times? Now im not here to argue that point as I dont know what Colby dogs percents are. I'm here with a question ( just for fun as i dont have the funds to experiment).

I've heard it said that if you cross pure Colby dogs with some of the fast lane comp. it wakes the blood up and you can potentially get bulldogs.

Now lets say you have a cross and you bring it to a pure Colby dog. Will it potentially produce good dogs in y'alls opinions? or would it need to be 2 tight lines I.E Pure Redboy or Jeep and Pure Colby?

I know a few people on this forum run Colby dogs and im not here to insult anyone just talk theoretically. Lets attempt to keep the bashing to a minimum as i dont want the thread closed before I have a few different opinions.

oh and i think it could produce something if the cross was a proven dog.
    thanks in advance

2. Maruccio

Maruccio Banned

how you say your argue is the 5th essence of the "theorically".
    Maybe , I'm a newbee , and the only fact I and generally is dogmatic is today there aren't working colby stud/females , i mean in these modern times.the selection was abandoned so far ago , is like the red wine stay on 60$/L or the red wine made with 7th class grapevine/70%water who stay 5$/L.You can put some 60$/L wine on the 5$/L wine time by time but the result will be the same.WINE WATERED.
    :dogdrink:

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i wouldn test it on my own stuff but i would try a colby cross if someone offered one
    i know of someone who spoke highly of their colby dog that had some good stuff
    i also saw that dog on pedsonline for sale a few months later lol so i guess the best advice i could give is "when in doubt find out"

5. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I wasnt gonna say ur name Rally but i love the look of Siobhan

6. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

lol yeah i hear ya.. all of y'all have valad points to the theory at hand.
    I was just under the impression that the Colby blood was asleep. and if you added idk maybe Redboy or some strain known to bring the fire it would wake it up.
    honestly i think theres people out there with working Colby dogs and i think all it took was patience and a hard culling program to find the ones that breed true.
    % wise i dont feel like there up there with some lines but i think the ones that are good are probably really good.
    if i had the time and funds i would find out on my own and who knows one day i might but for now its just something i thought of..lol
    anymore thoughts from the Colby fanciers on this site?

7. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

I've ran pure and crossed colby dogs for many years... The pure dogs have their faults, and the crosses tend to be solid firey dogs.

Did a cross to a wildside bitch (13 puppies) and I was totally disappointed with... BUT I LOVE the cross into my littlejohn blood!! Alot depends on the traits of both parents and what the pups get from each one.

8. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

I think this is false.
    if you were to take an ounce of 60/L and mix it with an ounce of 5/L you would of course come up with 2 ounces of 60/5 L being more watered down. but if you were to take an ounce of 60/5 L back to and ounce of 60/L then you have 2 ounces of 3/4 60/ L over 1/4 5/L
    then if you were to bring an ounce of that back to an ounce of 60/L your gonna in turn come up with 7/8 60/L over 1/8 5/L..now yes technically it is still more watered down then the 60/L but IF the 5/L had alil something the 60/L lacked then the ounce you end up with being 7/8 60 1/8 5 would in turn be better then both you started with would it not?

9. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

little john being Redboy blood? yes?
    and what do you mean what the pups get from eachother?

10. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Actually its a little heavier to the jocko side... the little john I'm talking about is Gross & Voyles Little John

In breeding you want to take traits from each parent to put into the pups correct? Soo say the colby side brings a little heavier bone, and smarts, where the little john blood brings intensity, wind... other traits could be common to both parents..

I'm talking about what the pups are getting from each parent. My colby dogs tend to be intense, little heavier boned, extremely smart, and athletic... some of my little john dogs tend to be over the top intense and forget to think, but atheltic with wind for days... put them together and you hopefully end up with a strong offspring..

11. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

oh ok i see. yeah I see why you liked the ones from that breeding.

now back to the O.P do you think a cross bred to a pure colby dog will produce?
    if of course the cross dog is proven and lacks lets just say nothing but mouth..for arguements sake:cool:

12. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

That was what I was talking about... Take a pure colby into a cross bred dog...lol

I've done it several times, and one of the best males on my yard is 1/4 colby, off a damn fine 1/2 colby dog.

13. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

lol oh my mistake..well thats what i was looking for then.
    I've been interested in Colby dogs but im paranoid about spending money on a hope

14. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Like any line there are good and bad colby dogs, no doubt about it.

Are you thinking of buying a pure colby dog? Why not stud out to one then see exactly what you are getting before putting out more money on buying a dog you won't be happy with?

Find a yard with colby dogs that you can go and see first hand how they act and see offspring so you can get an idea on how they are. Pictures and internet can only take you so far, and seeing with your own eyes is what its about. Otherwise you just have to take someone's word for it..lol

15. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

16. AGame

AGame CH Dog

Theres plenty of people out there with pure colby dogs that im sure any dogman would feed it is just a matter of knowing where to find them its the same with any line

17. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

thanks for the advice but it was more or less hypothetical...at some point i probably will take your advice as im a curios cat..lol

18. Maruccio

Maruccio Banned

apply this theory on the dogs and then you see.the only solution is try , but for my opinion is like try to fit a tree inside a water bottle , in this time we just have more big contenitors who surely fit for the tree .

19. Maruccio

Maruccio Banned

maybe , just curiosity. someone know how much is asked for a pure "colby " adult male/female now?

20. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Depends entirely on who is selling and why!

I've seen colby pups go for as high as $1000, and adults for the same... personally the few litters that I've sold pups from I've sold for $500-$600.. As for an adult....good question..lol