1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bristles Up?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Ninety-Nine, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Ninety-Nine

Ninety-Nine Big Dog

I remember reading somewhere that if a bulldog puts it's bristles up along it's spine that it's a bad sign. My bitch does it and according to what I read a well bred dog shouldn't show any fear when in danger so bristles up is a bad sign. What does everyone else reckon ?

2. Ccmaccah

Ccmaccah Pup

bristles up shows aggression. its a offensive/ defensive sign

3. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

good sign of a cur. never seen a good bulldog show that at all.

4. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

that line of fur is a response to alot of things. it doesnt necessarily mean defensive.

5. c_note

c_note CH Dog

have you seen enough curs show this sign to make that first statement more than an opinion?

6. AGame

AGame CH Dog

Retarded statement i have seen a many do it when they see something from a distance they want to get at as c note says that is strictly opinion

7. Icepick

Icepick Banned

Natural response. Could be a sign of aggression, or just excitement if its a young dog. Its a "posturing" display.

8. Icepick

Icepick Banned

9. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

The hackles may raise for various reasons. The most common causes are fear and aggression. This behavior is often seen in young dogs that are unsure of their environment and are unsure on how to react. Hackling in dogs may be also someway similar to a human getting goosebumps.

i.e my opinion of a cur, thus my first statement.not true to breed.

10. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

yes it is my opinion, not a retarded statement however. mine look to the distance at something, they just stand and look
    like a lion watching its prey before the attack.

11. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

ive seen enough curs to wager my own opinion, ive also seen alot of good ones over my years to state ive never seen a good one show that sign.

12. Icepick

Icepick Banned

All dog breeds have this feature, however, in some dogs the hackles may not be easy to see as in others (dogs equipped with long haired coats). The effect is more pronounced on the shoulder area because the hair in this area is much longer.

If you are going to copy and paste, paste the whole article and dont just copy what fits your agenda which is ridiculous to begin with. As you can read from what I copied from the link ALL DOG BREEDS HAVE THAT FEATURE. Last I checked, an APBT is a breed of dog. Some raise the hair on their back, some dont. I know of registered champions that have done it for various reasons, even some boring 2+ hr. dogs. Its a natural/biological reaction. Sometimes a good women can give me goosebumps, but I will assure you it has nothing to do with fear lol!
    Maybe you just havent been around enough good ones, if in fact you have been around any good ones. That brings me to the obvious question, who is even looking at the hair on their dogs back in the box anyway???

13. AGame

AGame CH Dog

I'm saying your Opinion which in this case is worthless is a retarded statement yes i am because your opinion is false and to assume because of a natural reaction in a dog that you would assume that said dog is a cur that's like saying a dog with too much white is a cur or a dog that barks is a cur and if you base a good dog or yard of dogs off of opinions like these then well lets just say you damn sure wouldn't know a good one if it was "pulling at the end of your leash" or not pulling in your case lol

14. Damion

Damion Pup

i v seen some real tough dogs with bristles up ,but iv also seen some wimp dogs do it imo its a dog being a dog.

15. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

Lmao @ it being a sign of a cur

16. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

lol..........

17. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

its a shame most peoples so called bulldogs these days are just like any other breed isn't it, i mean showing aggression/fear etc....definately nothing i want in a bulldog. ICEPICK, if i choose to copy and paste part of or all of,from a link you put up to give referance to something i will. everyone has opinions, this is my opinion because ive spent 30odd years every day with this breed.
    anyhow people, im not going to waste time arguing about this ive proberly got mutts to cull.lol.....

18. LOL that's just silly shit right there.

19. Icepick

Icepick Banned

LMAO!!! Another net dogger with 30+ years in the game. Some things never change...

You can cut and paste anything you want, but only cutting and pasting part of the article (only the part that fits your agenda,) is not a way of proving a point. In fact, it has the opposite result when people read the whole article and see how you "cut" one thing from the entire article, and "pasted" the one thing that fit your novice opinion. Did you even read the whole article??? I think not.
    I bet you cull all the black dogs first, just because they are not game right lol!?!?

20. blackcloud

blackcloud Big Dog