1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Brood Stock"

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by YoungLion, Nov 12, 2014.

1. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

What does this term mean to you? Do you keep " brood stock" and if so what qualifies for brood stock on your yard?

I ask because I see this term thrown around a lot and I'm curious to what folk consider "brood stock"

Maybe its just me but I've been hearing some weird stuff. I not knocking anyone just curious.

2. Bmf_bt

Bmf_bt Big Dog

This is my take on brood stock and i think there are different kinds of legitimate brood stock. When your new, you generally need a brood bitch to be able to get new generations. This bitch is probably a big investment for you, money wise so she is probably to valuable to show. This does not equal her being an untested cur dog, just means that you as her present owner have another purpose for her. If you bought her as a brood bitch who had a few litters shes probably to old anyways. This is probably the most controversial brood and you'll probably take some heat for breeding this way, but fact of the matter is that no one is gonna get you their best bitch so you will have to settle with an average bitch who threw ok pups in her first litter. That's the reality of being new, in my experience at least.

Then there is the more seasoned dogman who strikes gold and after some testing or a show or two realizes that this dog is much to good and valuable for me to risk at a show. I think this is more common for people with smaller yards.

Then there is the dogs that completed their carrier and now have a more laid back lifestyle consisting of breeding, eating and taking care of pups.

Of course there are less serious breeders using the word brood stock, but im not into nagging so i'll let it be for now.

These are just my thoughts on the issue, fantasies. No connection to any real events.

3. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

Those three are more along the line of my understanding of ther term used more and more today. But from what im seeing and hearing today the term holds different meanings depending on who ask.Well said. Thanks for your response.