1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Building a slatmill

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by bukskin.banks, Aug 14, 2011.

1. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

IMG_1002.jpg IMG_1001.jpg

Ok so the second picture is how i wanted to mount them, but the bolts that hold the wheels to the rail are hitting the 2x2 not letting it sit flush. But since it will be mounted on top, it might not look as "cool" buut it will be easier to mount and sturdier. And the wheels will be further apart which will push the carriage bolts that hold the slats to the belt further apart as well. Next mill i'll mount this way but drop the 2x2's down. Going to mount them and the end wheels and the part which holds the dog :) will post pics after.

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Looks good. You could have marked the center where the bolts were touching the 2x2 and drilled holes to let the nuts go into the 2x2 so the angle would be solid against the 2x2. X-tra work but you're the one doing it. lol Keep up the good work.

3. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

exactly extra work haha kiddin, but the carriage bolts will be further apart anyways. they were prob guna be too close. should work out good. will post pics tonight.

4. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

I know where your at right now buk...now the mind work comes in. Thinking about bolts, belt spacing, clearance and alot of head stratching ;)

5. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Looks nice, very nice indeed.

6. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

thanks guys, i mounted the wheel rails and the main wheels just got post the pics haha, going to work on it again tonight. And i know topbox, it's like fuck, gota look at it at every single angle to see which way is best. But it's a good learning experience for the next one. hopefully i can have the dog on it on sunday.

7. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

IMG_1011.jpg IMG_1014.jpg IMG_1003.jpg IMG_1007.jpg IMG_1008.jpg

So everything is coming together exceeeptt fuckin slatroll. the wheels are spaced so god damn far apart for the belt material im using. i'm going to continue putting my belt together and make the wheel situation work somehow. The chain is going to arc over the top :) maybe if fucking americans call it a 2 wide it should be a 2inch wide not fuckin 1.5. Cause 2 inch wide slats would prob have cured this problem.

8. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Looking good mate, hope it works out with the adjustments. Another rail of conveyor wheels and rail is no option ? Maybe aligned like -_- ? That's more stable than the single row anyway i believe and will allow you to use smaller slats in width. Right ?

9. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Looks good the problem with the wheel rail is that the wheels are on 3inch centers so you have about 1 inch between wheels you could remove the wheels and drill holes closer on the rail to remove the gap. That welded chain holder is cool as hell, keep up the good work

10. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

ya i have an extra wheel rail so i'll prob use those wheels to fill in the end spots after i move them. unless i go with a pvc belt and its stiffer so will help support it? firehose is very flimsy, but fast haha

11. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Use the extra wheels the mill will run smoother and you wont have Slat Rock and to add it will be quieter

12. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Go with the pvc belt...it will fix your problem

13. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

IMG_1025.jpg IMG_1016.jpg IMG_1026.jpg IMG_1024.jpg

so i switched to this new hose material. it's still not as thick but its better. but i also moved the wheels :) what a pain in the ass puttin this damn belt together haha. cant wait to mount up the chain and see how this thing runs.

14. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Did you get the belt on ? How well did it turn ?

15. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

So the wheels are hitting the washers. Fukin a. So im gona move the wheels outward. After that it should roll decent but i think theres still even a lil slat roll after i moved the wheels closer. Fukin if they were actually 2 inch wide slats like they say. Guna fix it tomorrow and connect the belt and see how it goes.

http://[​IMG]

16. norseman

norseman Big Dog

Hey Buckskin,

I have been following your build progress and its comming out nice. There are always a few curve-balls to watch out for first time around, but next time building you will do it in half the time and better. I build Carpet mills myself and I am quite happy with that as my dogs do weight pulling and need to build strength.

I hope you don't mind me poking my nose in to your shit... BUT I notice that you slats have a clearance between them. Usually the slats are mounted back to back with no clearance at all. this is to avoid the dogs claws to get caught and riped out/broken toe ect, in between the slats while running on the mill. You should reconsider this before you have your dog run on it.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted, The welded chain arch rocks!

17. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Looking good bukskin. The slats look small indeed for that wheel set up.

18. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

http://www.rpmillmaker.com/products.html#mill_killer

thousand dollar mill and its got spaced between the slats. they are 45'd so they should be good. after i fix the washer hitting the wheels the slatroll will prob go away, if i switch to a better actual pvc conveyor belting the slatroll will 100 % go away. I'll let ya'll know how it goes and i'll post vids when he's on it.

19. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

lookn good

20. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

so i swapped the wheels to the outside of the rail, make sense? so they are not touching the nuts and washers. and there is still fuckin slat roll!! haha just a little but i want it perfectly smooth and straight. so i'm guna have to order some good pvc belt or double up what i have. or use my belt material with a wider slat. i just really am not lookin forward to puttin together another fuckin belt ha. and thats after movin the wheels closer together with 1/4 inch between slats haha. pissin me off damnit