1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Building muscle on GSD?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Blau, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Hey y'all, I've got a four year old GSD [Jayda], and I think she could have potential to show some muscle. If you're thinking she's a heavy-furred conformation type bred, she's not. She's working bred, and is actually very lean compared to a lot of shepherds in the States. :) I think she could easily show off some muscle.

She gets walked a mile or two a day currently, and we feed her Natural Balance [2 cups at a time, she's not on a schedule unfortunately. she picks at her food], and occasionally raw chicken and cooked white rice. I have a treadmill, and she knows how to walk on it, if that'd be a good option. I've never had her actually trot on it.

Attached Files:

2. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

Get more distance out of your walks and use a weighted vest. Alternate with weighted collar. Then do days of walking with no weight to allow the muscles to recover. To a GSD a mile or two is like a human getting up and going to the fridge. So put the work on her and give her 1-2 rest days per week. You will detect the difference.

3. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Anywhere in particular to get a weighted vest and collar? I'd never thought of that actually [yay, I'm smart], but it sounds like it'd definitely work.

4. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Stillwater kennels sells weighted collars, but I'd check more into the vests. As you well know, GSDs are notorious for hip dysplasia and I'd be careful with anything that might put too much weight on their hips. Have you tried speaking with owners of working GSDs? You might be interested in the Leerburg discussion forums.

5. Blau

Blau Big Dog

I'll have to look up some vests soon.
    Apparently, her hips are pretty good; never had her OFA tested, as she's altered, but I do feel bad about not getting her more active. She could have been an amazing working dog if she'd been socialized more before we got her.

I've been in the breed for years, but I've never spoken to anyone other than handlers of hyena-hocked American conformation dogs. There are so many different lines of the DDR now, I don't even bother to keep up with names

6. shadowwolf

shadowwolf Big Dog

You can also do drag weights.

7. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

What's her pedigree look like? Who is she out of?

8. Blau

Blau Big Dog