1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bull or Terrier???

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ohav4, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

that is so true.. that is also what david harcombe said in his patterdale terrier book "work them hard treat them like heroes"

a patterdale's function is to bite and hold, until its dug to.

2. united

united Banned

Terriers may look game when there terrorising wild animals that are fighting out of fear. But ask one to scratch into a dog that enjoy's what its doing then it's a different story. And the percentages are very low.

Most working terrier used today have bull blood in them, this was added to make terriers gamer not the other way round. Personally I think if they crossed the types it was to make the terriers gamer for work and/or to improve the rat pit dog's gamness.

3. peppapig

peppapig Banned

i dare say any crossing done today of gamedogs to terriers etc would be hit or miss.

4. jack the lad

jack the lad Big Dog

I did this many years ago with my old staff dog and a gould bred pat bitch and there was only 1 in the litter that you could call a real worker i.e go to ground in all the years I worked him he never bayed and would kill anything in front of him once going 18 hours before we got him out.So where did he get his gameness from the staff or pat.:confused:

5. madboy

madboy Big Dog

6. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

real terriers are game against anything , im no terrierman but i bought a good workin bred patterdale a few years back, raised him with a couple of ab s n a good stafford , he would not back off any of em i had to keep him seperate ,in the end i relocated him to my father , as he was almost killed wen i nodded off one sunday n one of the kids let him out , i had to carry him away from the ab and he was screaming and bitin me to get back , he wasnt able to walk fer a few days but he wernt fer quitin:eek:

7. damon

damon Banned

You obviously haven't seen a real working terrier

8. anton

anton Pup

ohav4 u know what ur talking about ,,terriers are bread for pure gameness and yes the old day bull dog was bread for the grip or hold hence bull baiting..if he dont get to the nose he's fucked..the terrier was crossed with the bulldog for his agility and prefromance and gameness, he put style and ability into the old fighting dog to breed dogs like the ones we know today. getting back to ur question and this is my opinion tin skull and a tall rangie body is more terrier in my book . and the broad skull and big chest and shoulders is more bull. now thats my opinion .

9. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

great post spot on :cool:

10. anton

anton Pup

crazy horse them petterdales are very game urs is a good example of how game they are and remember he wasent bread for that, and he wud have most likely died, thats called deadgame , tell me did u ever work him ? in my country they are most favoured for hunting fox/badger, i too am not a terrierman rather a pitbullterrierman..cheers

11. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

i got him because i intended to go diggin with him as a friend was into it and id been a few times thought i may take it up , but ended up livin in the city 70 miles out:confused:
    my father lives out in the sticks and does a lot of rattin with him and a little bushing , waste of his potential really but he has a good home n a lot of fun all the same:)

12. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

Reason for the APBT today.

Terriers are very game animals, pound for pound very nice animals but didn't have the size nor the mouth of the bulldog

Bulldogs are not very game animals, they are there but not many but they were rough and had mouth along with the size

Centuries of breedings of selective breeding at that created each one, then the two were bred together and then the APBT became a line. We call them bulldogs because calling them American Pit Bulldog Terriers is to long so it became bulldogs with dog fighters. They should be called the American Bull Terrier but obviously that will cause confusion with the Bull Terrier. They stole the name.

Conformation doesn't mean nothing to these dogs but I prefer the terrier like appearence and seem to be gamer animals with the terrier looks than the bulldog looking style dogs. Just what I have noticed.

13. united

united Banned

Have been around them 25 years. It's funny that I'm asked alot to breed my bulldog's into working terrier line's to improve the gameness. But never once have I or any other bulldog breeder ever been inclined to use working terrier blood to improve our dog's gameness.

14. agree with anton.
    brain/drive/athleticism of a terrier, size/bite/strength of bull
    as for today's dogs, depends on the blood in it, some are more terrier some are more bull, depends on taste and style ur after

15. madboy

madboy Big Dog

cmon man! ..............so now the terrier or terriers are deadgame? and even deep game?
    sorry but which terrier/terriers have this trait?
    l remember reading all these threads about ab,amstaff hog dogs and gameness .........then all hell broke loose?
    Like l said, you may get a game one out of a litter or two? l might be wrong,cause l have never owned a terrier breed.I know most small terriers breeds have heart and high prey drive .

16. madboy

madboy Big Dog

my grandma knows this and shes deff too.

17. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

you sure about that ? , they only added bull to give a terrier stronger head and bones, not for gameness. ask any terrierman, and this is actually a common misunderstanding of history of terrier, terrierman will say that if you added bullterrier blood to add gameness or hardness to your terrier line, then you something is wrong with your line of terrier, terriers should already have that in them, the bull should only give them good bones and head.

so its for built not for gameness, and thats the proper way of doing it.

and ofcourse u have those with none worthy of breeding terriers that people added bull in them to increase their drive hardness or gameness. those types shoudnt be bred from start, if ur terrier needed bull for that.

so terrier are game and hard as nail without bull, i saw picture of what badgers can do to a dog , mate they break the dogs legs and dog still gets back at it to get a hold and stays with it until the owner digs to it.. be it for 3 hours or 8 hours, it must hold it in position and not allow the badger to shift , otherwise u have to dig all over again a different hole.

and the terrier must do this 4 weeks later again, after recovery, sometimes its done after 3 digs , retired early.

i have also read , not sure if it was here or different terrier forum, of patterdales used to improve working staffordshire terrier. in what aspect i dont know.

18. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  19. madboy

madboy Big Dog

ok! sounds fair.......................so your saying that the terrier dog will scratch back in the [] against his litter mate,even deadgame?

20. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

a DA street dog will scratch back in the pit..

deadgame..hmm. i will leave that, no comment. i have too much respect for such dogs. so i wont comment.

i think if put some patterdales in the pit, a lot of them will be COLD , haha. u will have to MAKE them fight another dog.

cos they were bred not to so they wont show interest.