1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bull terriers

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by zombie106, Jan 4, 2005.

1. zombie106

zombie106 Big Dog

Does anyone have any experience with Bull terriers? I am not looking to get one, but they are very rarely talked about (at least on this forum). The only thing I have heard about them is that they are extremely dog aggressive. Also, I don't understand why they are always so expensive. Anyone have any information?

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

my older brother has 2 bull terries--1 standard & 1 mini. Both of his dogs are people friendly & dog friendly, however they have a high prey drive for small animals. I gave him 1 as a Christmas present 2 yrs ago & he bought another about 8 months ago. Neither have showed dog aggression & are suprisingly very submissive to my dogs. However, they are a bully breed & I'm only talking about 2 that I've had experience with. I bought one from a breeder in Lafayette, LA. I also had a question as to why the price is so high for these dogs, & she stated it's b/c of availability & the fact that it is still considered by most in this country as a rare breed. She had great dogs from good bull terrier bloodlines (3 of hers were imports) & she also used 2 as working dogs handling her pig business. Those two dogs were fierce w/ a very high drive if I do say so myself. I am in the process of researching this breed myself to find out more about them. If anyone has some good info on them, I would love to hear it. p.s.--i will try to get some pics from my brother to post here

3. Dpres1

Dpres1 Big Dog

No info here, but I think they're an awsome little dog. Ugly little SOB's and I mean that as a compliment. Really. The price is probably due to their rarity, as stated above. I've never actually seen one in person.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2005
  4. bigsho

bigsho Pup

i have a friend that has one that is 1 yr old and he says its great with his kids. he also has a mini pinscher that is three yrs old. he said there have been no dog agression problems at all.

5. Classic

Classic Big Dog

I used to work with a chick who had one.
    He was not aggressive that I am aware of, but VERY destructive...
    he used to chew up tractor tires and all sorts of shit.

Otherwise I really don't know much about the breed, but I think they are cute.

6. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Well my hubbie had one growing up that launched itself threw a plate glass window chasing a frog. He talks about it all the time. I've wanted to get one for him but they are soo expensive and I think they are so cute as puppies but funny looking as adults, so I wouldn't have a clue how to go about picking one out..lol

7. GT99

GT99 Pup

its funny how certain dogs cost so much, makes no sense. They do not cost any more to breed and raise, if anything they are cheaper than a large dog. I can understand the english bulldog as they need to have a C-section to give birth after the show people got ahold of the breed many moons ago. I do think that they should be cheaper though as they should take into account the potential health problems the breed is likely to get, it should be the bulldog discount.

there is also the so called "rare" breeds like the cane corso, presa's etc. They always get top dollar too, however they should be called "not as common" breeds instead of "rare", if it was truly rare and people wanted to help the breed they should also be cheaper, that way more people would own them thus taking the "rare" out of it, after all if they were really that "rare" it would be good to save these poor rare breeds from extinction

8. bigsho

bigsho Pup

i talked to my buddy the other day that has a female and he said she just tore his whole couch to shreds while he was upstairs