1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

bulldogs of old

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by gypsyboy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

In the original cross of bulldog and terrier what was the goal of this did the terrier add speed or was the bulldog not game I don't see why the bulldog couldn't be a pit fight like it was a bull fighter? Any info I'd be glad for.

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

The original bulldog was meant to grab and not release the hold no matter what and left a lot to be desired in the pit. They tried and then began to make crosses to improve on the dogs weaknesses.

3. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

So it was to make it more exciting in the pit due to a different fighting style?

4. determination

determination Big Dog

I have read different takes on this.with the pasing of the humane act of 1786 or something like that they band bull and bear baiting while they were still bull baiting the smaller more agile bulldogs were more successful and usually the one to survive. But because of the band of bull and bear baiting dog fighting became more popular and the cross added the tenacity of the terrior but bulldogs were game fighting bulls getting smashed thrown in the air and saying thank you sire may i have another. but the smaller size also help in the smaller arena of the pit fighting in basements and the dogs were easyer to handle the bull n terriors were a good cross for a fighting dog were in your betting money you want a dog thats not going to quit and just buy not quiting you have a better chance of winning some say they the pit bull type not breed back then or bull n terrior originated from the black and tan and white terriors crossed with bulls some say the apbt is the original bulldog

5. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

a question with an answer dependant on whom you ask and then choose to believe. some will tell you there is no cross, that the original bulldog is still what we see/have today. some will tell you it was to bring down their size, add tenacity and agility. some will tell you, as stated^ they are from the blk & tans and white terriers, .....
    thing is NO one really knows. their history and accurate record keeping is pretty much nonexistant, hence the mulitude of opinions

6. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Dog fighting was a past time also before the humane act of 1786 . When you consider the terriers were well established as a ground hunting (bar none for bravery) dogs . You can be sure there contribution's as to - tenacious - game and most important working with humans was a very important contributor of DNA traits .
    There are many large bull dogish breeds out there, very reminiscent of the butcher dogs , there not APBT at due to that lack of DNA FIRE from the terriers .

7. bounty

bounty Big Dog

8. To be honest I never like a bull dog. Looking at them I have a feel fear and think that it wanna go to attack me

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  9. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

Sorry people my internets been down for a few days but to restart this thread am I right in saying that the american bulldog is not the original bulldog as many say? Most of the bulldog pics I have seen are small dogs like rosa and crib. Not 120lb bags of drool

10. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

View attachment 25904 These are bulldogs, this print is from the time of bullbaiting, agile, long muzzle, long legs, whip tail, very close to the conformation of a APBT... the bulldog with the undershot mouth ,bug eyes, kinked tail, came after the introduction of pug into the bloodline, they introduced pug to get the exaggerated features , it was the beginning of dog shows

11. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

I do agree with you however I think there are slight differances if you can google crib and rosa these were regarded as the perfect bulldogs they look like a leggy apbt with abit shorter body so the american pitbull is actually the british bulldog.... Wow they reely ruined the show bulldog didn't they.

12. Mickeyg

Mickeyg Top Dog

Was the pug about befor dog shows were I thought they was made for the show ??

13. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

Na they were a breed for hundreds of years before dog shows as royal pets

14. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Yes perfect bulldogs from when showing began in UK, the print I posted are older than the time of crib and rosa and are actually bulldogs used for bull baiting... they are close to the conformation of modern APBTs... the bulldogs or what people started to call bulldogs only began to head towards what they look like today after dogshowing started in uk, and like these modern American bullys it dont take too long to get a dog a new look ....

15. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

PUGs are a very old breed, came to the uk from holland and to holland via China

16. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

True on all points it makes me cringe when people say ambulldogs are the true bulldogs there good hog dogs yes but bulls? They wouldn't stand a chance way to heavy to hang on to the end of a bulls nose

17. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

Man I've gon way of topic........owell

18. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Not true, the print of crib and rosa is at least 3 yeara older than the print you posted.secondly their werent any dogs shows at the time .thirdly the dog on the print you posted

19. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Thirdly the dog in the background of the bull baiting print you posted has a typical bull dog muzzle.
    Crib and rosa are two different types .rosa a pure bull dog of staffordshire
    descent, crib her son is a bull and terrier.neither are American.

20. gypsyboy

gypsyboy Big Dog

As a side note would you say that the bulldog breed can be saved?