1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ca jack -poncho

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by preme, Jun 16, 2011.

1. preme

preme CH Dog

What happened is this:

CH Leonard beat and stopped my Mack dog in :37 at a weight of 42 lb. Mack was a natural 40 that I brought up to 42, while Leonard was a natural 44 that was brought down to 43. I took the forfeit and I spotted the weight and bet the forfeit on Mack. Mack out-speeded and out-slicked Leonard for about :25, as he was a terrific head dog. Leonard turned but went very hard. When Leonard finally got to his money spot, the throat, at about :30, Mack went downhill immediately. By :37 Mack was dying, and when a handle was made Mack stood and Leonard courtesied. Mack tried to jump the pit when Leonard courtesied into him. (Mack was by Patrick's Fearless Jr. out of Vise-Grip's Lady Tomahawk).

Leonard then faced G&G Combine's Buddy. Again, Buddy was way ahead of the slow and not very athletic Leonard for about :20, but when Leonard got that bear-trap mouth on Buddy's throat, it was over by :32. Buddy literally a stream up in the air as Leonard rooted into his spot. Leonard was very deceptive. He didn't look like much, athletically, but when he hit that money spot it was Game Over.

Meanwhile Poncho won over S&S Combine's Dragoon in a total shutout in :32 at a weight of 49 lb. S&S traveled over 600 miles to beat Poncho with a leg-amputating destroyer, right off of CH Rattler. Poncho totally outclassed, and then downed this one-dimensional destroyer, with a smooth and cool defense and absolute authority that has become "The Poncho Trademark."

The ref even made a comment "He fought a perfect fight.
    After this clinic in canine performance, I agreed to bring Poncho 1xW into Leonard 2xW (to avenge my previous loss) and I agreed to a weight of 45.5 lb for Poncho and 45 lb for Leonard. Although Poncho was a natural 47.5 - 48 lb dog, I reasoned Poncho never really was a "mouth" dog but was just an untouchable tactical dog. I had had Poncho at 52 lb against 57 and 60-lb dogs, and he totally routed them with his untouchable style and tireless stamina. And after anything "got hot" on Poncho, he would roll them over and finish them. He did the same thing to Dragoon.

I figured that, even a little light, that the slow Leonard 2xW would be a cakewalk for the superb Poncho 1xW, and I even said, "Poncho could have parvo and still beat Leonard," so confident was I in Poncho.

[​IMG]

This photo was taken 11/17/95 and the deal took place Saturday 11/25/95, just over 1 decade ago exactly. Poncho was at his agreed-upon weight of 45.5 lb in this photo, way underweight, but after 8 more days and a 3-hour drive, Poncho came in at 44 lb ... 1 lb less than Leonard ... but 3.5 to 4 lb less than his best weight. In my totally-green ignorance, I simply did not see how my POOR MANAGEMENT took every bit of steam out of Poncho, and made him so weak that his legs just started buckling underneath him by the :10 min mark.

Poncho gamely tried to do everything he could to hang onto the head, and keep himself out of trouble, but he was just too weak to do so effectively. Leonard started to run hot by :30, and that would normally be the moment Poncho would go for the finish, but all he could do was hang onto the ear. Again, the turn was called on Leonard as he blew hot a bit, but Leonard came across like a freight train and piled Poncho into the corner.

But it was Poncho who got the hold, even though he was limp on his back, and that was all he could do was just "stay in holds." No, he did not look "great" from a performance standpoint in this deal, but I had seen him be absolutely PERFECT and untouchable every other time before, when at a healthy weight. This time, while all he could do was weakly hang on, what he did do was STAY UNTIL THE END, when I realized he would be dead soon to a throat-killing bear-trap in Leonard, and so I asked Big Ernie if he would scratch to win. He agreed, and again (now) CH Leonard pile-drived Poncho into the corner on his winning scratch.

I was asked to scratch Poncho and even though he could hardly stand at this point, he was still struggling and looking around my legs to see Leonard, and when I faced him he went immediately and took hold.

And that is it, and that is all there is to say, and anyone who says different from the above is a GD liar. CH Leonard was a deceptively-dangerous dog, and he beat a 4-lb-too-light Poncho that was a shell of himself. In truth, the dogs should not have faced each other, and CH Leonard would have lost just as surely to a 48 lb Poncho as a 44 lb Poncho lost to CH Leonard.

All I can say is that I fucked up and lost that day, and that Poncho never would have lost to any dog that breathed at his best weight, when in top condition. And I will never change that opinion in my life.

So deeply did I believe this, that I based a bloodline on Poncho, and there is not one dogman who has anything bad to say about me or Poncho who has surpassed in the last 20 years what Poncho has produced in the last 15 years. Not a single one.

Yet all of the people who have believed in Poncho, and in his bloodline, have succeeded. EVERY one.

Figure that ...

So while I may have fugged-up in Poncho's second show, I hit the bullseye in recognizing how good he really was, and what he was continually thrown, over and over again, and (now) for generation after generation proves that my belief in him was well-placed.

Thanks to those who have always believed in Poncho.

Jack<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
    <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_5155-->

2. Texican

Texican Big Dog

Good Read, Thnx for Posting!

3. john denver

john denver Big Dog

Nice! Thanx

4. Thanks,very interesting!!

5. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

hell i would take a game loser

6. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Great post

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

You see in that article Jack wrote thats what you should NOT do. LOL

8. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Really you guys believe that shit ? The guy wrote a book.He was a joke 10yrs ago now he is some kind of Legend?Wtf?I will give him the fact that poncho may have produced some good dogs.And who was S&S combine anyways ?The guy is a joke.And has done nothing but peddle B.S. to any greenhorn who will believe it!

9. old goat

old goat CH Dog

first thing he said was poncho was a 37 1/2 lbs dog . but he did'nt use him at that weight . then he said he's a 48 lbs dog . look at the photo and the dog look like he's at the weight he sound be and maybe 1/2 lbs lighter in the photo . then look at his stomach , it hurting . all bowled up . he know why he lost . but wants to blame it on the weight .

10. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Read it again..he said Poncho was a natural 47.5 - 48 lb dog, not a 37.5 lb dog. Anyone that knows anything about conditioning can see the dog is under weight. Hes got no muscle over his ribs, he just looks railed down. Absolutely, the miscalculation of weight and lack of proper conditioning is why the dog lost.

11. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

I still like the post but from the pic the dog looks dry and worn out to me. Hard to go up hill with a weak down hill dog. I cant say i would have picked him up because i would have never set him down like that. But he did admit his mistakes and hopefully someone will remember this later and learn from it.

12. old goat

old goat CH Dog

well my hands are screwed up and i did'nt read it . but he 's trying to say the dogs to light . and in that picture tells a different story . that dogs stomach is hurting . and you don't bring a dog that light and there was plenty to pick from . so he did'nt have to come down in weight . you don't know much about conditioning to say he's under weight . you got only 1 thing right he was cnditioned poorly .he's not under weight and i know jack . there's no muscles in the ribs because he ran him on the mill and did'nt do more to put muscle there . i know conditioning very well . the stomachs hurting and he's sucking it up .

13. preme

preme CH Dog

should of paid forfiet...

14. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

"Anyone that knows anything about conditioning can see the dog is under weight" LMFAO i doubt you'd be able to know what's on the money & what ain't from that picture. all dogs are dffrent & how a fella brings one in is his choice some fellas did real well with a "bag of bones". westminster conditioning is different from a pre 76 conditioning. excuse is excuse & anyone that know anything about a slick talking sportsman is they got a million.

15. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. why discredit the opponent on speculation and not just leave it at you failed your dog by bringing him in 4lbs too light.

16. Don't agree here, he looks on weight but not in condition !!

17. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

good points.
    from the pics i'd say poncho was in poor condition but every loser has an excuse. poncho probably couldn't have whipped leonard on his best day no matter the weight, in other words he was outdogged, outclassed, whatever word you use poncho was tested and he came up short, a loser. in my opinion not the dog to build a breeding program around.

18. john denver

john denver Big Dog

I LOVE IT! if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle LMFAO that's one of the best I've heard

19. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Nobody with any class would build a breeding program around a Loser!Unless you are a PEDDLER!

20. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

folks forget or don't how good leonard was. the fella lost to the same dog twice that should tell yall he had nothing on his yard that could stop leonard at his wt or around it LMFAO