1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help!

Discussion in 'Paste Articles here' started by evocaraudio, Dec 1, 2008.

1. My Pitbull was killed by a police officer on Sat the 29th of Nov. Ace had gotten out of my yard and was about six blocks from my house where police said they approached and shot him. I think it was an unlawful use of force, I am talking to the dog catcher later this afternoon to find out if he was even in the area when Ace was shot. He is very familiar with pits and he knows the good from the bad and mine was the least aggresive pit I've ever seen. He was my shop dog and the kind that would change peoples opinion on how they felt about Pitbulls. If you know anyone who could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks

2. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

all I can tell ya is they will say that they would of shot any dog that approached them, they will say the dog growled, or they were simply threatened in some way. There is no excessive force in this kind of situation, the police are allowed to shoot a dog that they say they feel threatened by, I doubt there is a judge that will say otherwise.

3. I knew this was going to be a tough issue to pursue but Ace deserved better so I am going to do everything in my power to get justice for him.

4. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

it truly is and don't get me wrong I am very sorry for your dog and you, I would just be beside myself if it were mine, but the fact remains, your dog was 6 blocks from his home, not in a yard, not chained up, but out walking around and with the pitbull hysteria this is what happens, sad to say.

5. That's exactly why I'm trying to do this, "The Pitbull Hysteria" like you said above is the only reason he was shot. If it would have been a Lab or any other breed the cop would've waited for animal control before he took action. I don't think that's a good enough reason to use lethal force. Now the police dept is trying to sugarcoat it. In the report done for the media it was said that the dog was later euthanized.

6. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

Get a lawyer. They will be able to handle this best. I wish that could bring your dog back though....sorry for your loss.

7. Crystal621

Crystal621 Big Dog

I'm sorry for your loss.

Nothing can really be done though, he was not on your property and you were not there to know what happened. He may have growled at them and they shot him, if I was out and a dog came out me growling I'd shoot it too if I had a gun. I would not take the chance that a growling dog coming at me is happy to see me. Who knows what happened though, I wouldn't be suprised if it was just because of his breed.

8. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Sorry this happened to you. Hell in my neck of the woods, they wouldn't wait on the cops to get there. My neighbors would go ahead and shoot your dog for you. They shot 2 of mine, one lived, we found the other one on the end of their property (about 25 acres).
    They got a heart shot on him, he bled out on the spot, shot the other dog in the throat, missed all the major parts. Then they threw him in the back of a truck and drove him to the edge of the property.
    I used to be really bitter about the whole thing. But I realized it was the best thing that could've happened to me. I made me a better dog owner. My dogs don't go outside of my yard if they aren't on a leash. And they aren't left outside if we aren't home so they can't accidentally get out of the pen. I will leave a pair of mutts out when I am gone but never a pitt bull.

9. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Oh yeah, and depending on whether there is a leash law in your county, that is where it could be bad for you. Also, was he a habitual offender, did he get out often? There is a leash law where I live. I am not saying this about you, I don't even know you, but, if you love your dog, you will know where he is at all times. He is your responsibility, period.

My slogan is Ban BSL, The Responsibility Lies On The Other End Of The Leash.

10. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

I'm sorry for your loss. You might want to consult a lawyer, specifically one that deals with animal laws. Good luck

11. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

wow,,,how sad,,,but your right,,,things like this make us better owners ,,but what a way to learn! omg,,,I might have thought about loadin one myself for them,,,but would of thought better of it