1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Canada-Family furious after police shoot pit bull in yard

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Mama2, so you're saying that you would have no issue with the following statement: "killed by police who came onto their property unannounced to perform a training exercise with a police dog".

You're absolutely ok with that? Nowhere in the article does it say that the dog was or was not properly contained with fencing, so to come to that conclusion on your own is rather exemplary. I applaud your ability to envision the crime scene, and stand in awe of your justification to judge all owners on a four paragraph news story.

2. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

Google the story, They weren't on the dogs property they were on the neighbours , And if you watch the news stories you can see the yards for yourself and see the yard isn't secured.

Maybe before you made your comments you should have researched more into it as I've read all the news links for this story and watched all the news clips.

3. Vicki

I did watch the news clips.

From what the newsclips showed, it was a shared back yard, and it was fenced in.

Now, please answer my post.

4. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

5. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

Your question?

Would I be ok with it if my dog attacked another dog and was killed because of it?

Not "ok" with it, But I would take responsibility for the actions of my dog, No matter where it happened.

6. Vicki

I asked if you were ok with and I quote:

7. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

I answered hun, Above

Also it wasn't on their property it was their neighbours

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
  8. The cops should have never been on the people's property to begin with. I could only hope that my dogs would do the same for me and its property. In fact I know they would thats why I have signs posted.That pit-bull beleived what it was doing to be right and did not know what the intentions of the police were. AND MAMA 2 YOU FLIPPIN CRAZY IF YOU THINK OTHER WISE.:mad: P.T.F.O

9. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

I'm not saying I don't feel bad for the owners and the kids, But this all could have been avoided if they had taken the steps to secure their yard.

The last thing bully breeds need is another irresponsible owner not owning up to their lack of having control of their dog.

IF the police had entered a fully fenced in secured yard and this had happened then Yes they would be the only ones to blame, but as they entered the neighbours unsecured yard and the dog attacked then the owners should take responsibility, the police could have done things difference but thats not what happened so you deal with what did happen not what could have, should have or why it happened.

The last thing that needs to come from this is uneducated people turning this into a ban the bully breed like what happened in Ontario.

10. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

If the dog that was shot was not contained properly the owner is at fault, however to take a K-9 "in training" to a residential area, unannounced is equally irresponsible and down right dangerous. A K-9 that is not fully trained could inadvertantly attack a pedestrian or a small child especially with the distraction and energy a loose dog could throw into the mix. The point is a residential area is full of "what ifs" and folks have the right to know so they can agree and prepare...like bringing your pet inside.

11. I completely agree they should have secured the dog in some way or at least been with it outside. My dogs never go outside alone and are alwys on leash. it was iresponsible for them to let that dog out unatended.

12. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

I agree, a police dog in "training"... thank god no children were around. This is clearly a lack of effort by the P.D. they could have atleast knocked on the door...So now you will have more people who will distrust the local P.D.

13. Well honestly the problem with the police is they think they do what ever they please.
    According to police they are the LAW therefore they don't have to obey it.
    Well SCREW that. Complete arrogance and disregard for safety and responsiblity. On both sides. The true victim is the dead dog who was doing what it thought was right.

14. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

An accidental dog fight is NOT a reason for gunfire. I don't give a damn if it was my dog that got jumped. Unless their is a great disparity in size, neither animal's life is in immediate danger. You're clearly brainwashed by media bull-jive. I'm sure the K-9 had the size advantage. So why panic and blast firearms in a residential area because 2 dogs got into it ?????? Like I said earlier about common sense. Your thread shows a considerable lack of it. "Latched onto it's throat" Yeah right. That would be the last place that dog could hurt that GSD. I would have seperated the dogs and that would have been that. The police were wrong for working a K-9 on private property unannounced. The apbt owners had a bad habit of letting their dog out unleashed to do its business. They were wrong and also complacent also about what could possibly happen. But 2 dogs gettin into it is NOT a cause for gunfire. At least not then and there. That was inexcusable. In my opinion anyway. But hey, What do I know.;)

15. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I live in this area, and I can assure you, it's par for the course around here with the RCMP shooting pit bulls. In an incident not long ago, they opened a gate, walked into the yard and shot a pit bull mix with the owner standing right there and the owners were innocent victims. The did NOTHING wrong and their dog was behind a fence. A local pit bull advocate was also told by an RCMP officer whom they happen to know, that they would shoot a pit bull without question if the opportunity arose. This is the general attitude towards them around here when it comes to the police. They are free game. This isn't an isolated incident. It's a regular occurance. As well, it's been a regular occurance, for the RCMP to screw up big time with their dogs. In one incident, one of their dogs bit a kid while doing an educational thing at the school. One also bit a kid that was on a sled going down a hill. The stories go on and on. Honestly... if this was a lab, like the owner mentioned, do you REALLY think they would have opened fire if a scuffle occured? Doubt it. I'm a 113 pound female, and I've broken up fights with dogs that have completely outweighed me. You really think that mulitple grown men, trained not only in police work, but in dog handling, can't break up a dog scuffle without opening fire in a residential area? The RCMP are an embarrasement to Canadians, on SO many levels, and this is just one more incident to add to the list of many, that are destroying their reputation.

16. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

Brainwashed by media bull-jive? Are you 12?

If you have been paying attention to the story, you would have seen where the neighbour said he saw the police in his yard trying to break up the fight they didn't shoot the poor dog just because they thought it would be fun.
    What could have happened if they didn't break up the fight isn't the point, the point is what they thought might happen which lead to their actions.
    Also if you saw where they hit the dog, IMO it looked like they were aiming for its back leg but as it was a dog fight I doubt they were standing still and the shot missed.

If we were to believe the story of the owner, He claims now that he was outside and bent down to tie his shoe and the next moment his dog was dead, So if that is what happened shall we believe this man is what deaf or just dumb? As his wife from inside could hear the fight, the neighbour could see it happening Yet the owner bent over tying his shoe notices nothing until After the dog is shot?

Seriously if you want to believe that is what happened, go ahead.

17. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

The bolded part - They were called to the home and the dog came running towards them, In that case IMO they shouldn't have shot the dog as it wasn't coming at them to attack it was coming to greet them as they entered the yard.
    While the two stories both have police shooting pit's it really isn't the same as one dog WAS attacking while the other wasn't.

People need to stop judging the actions of the police as a group and learn to form opinions based on the story at hand, Bully owners especially should understand how unfair it is to judge based on the actions of a few, Just because the RCMP may have a few bad cops doesn't mean they are all bad the same as just because a few bully breeds are trained to be aggressive doesn't mean they all are.

18. jeepfreek

jeepfreek Big Dog

fuck them cops ...i so sick of this shit same thing happend here in my town last year , they had a police dog with them they let it loose after the pitbull //of course the pit was terring up the GSD then they shoot the pitbull ....wtf ?????

19. Mama2

Mama2 Pup

Such an intelligent comment. (<-- That's sarcasm by the way)

20. People that can call our heros discusting pigs are exactly the kind of trash that people expect to own pitbulls .It makes me pissed off to have people like you representing this breed.....makes those of us with class have to work even harder !