1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

CARPET MILL TRaINING

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by stepupDodong, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I just built a carpet mill and starting to work my dog. I need your help here, how long or what are your dogs program in a carpetmill? TIA

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

It depends on the dog and it depends on the mill. There are lots of variables. Lets say the dog is lean and fit and ready to start some work. That shores up one variable. Now the mill. If the mill turns smoothly and the carpet flows from one end to the other without bunching up. The dog can spend more time on the mill. If the mill is a hard turner and does not have smooth operation then the amount of time will be shorter.
    Time is nothing but a number. Do not let the time on the mill be any type of measuring stick. If he runs it for two minutes and is spent then another two or three minutes is a waste and will damage the dog. Let him dictate the times with his ability and desire to work. A rule of thumb, run him til he breaks, take him off and let him recover and then run him again til he breaks and then take him off to recover, run him til he breaks and then call it a day. Over a period of weeks you will see the run times increase and the recovery times decrease. The actual numbers will vary in the beginning and the individual dog will dictate specific numbers,.

3. thanks man! appreciate it!

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

No problem. Best of luck. S