1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Catchdogs??????

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by YoungLion, Mar 28, 2007.

1. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

would someone with expeirence with catchdogs please explain it for the newcommers in simple terms?

2. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

I Guess ill post info

[size=+3]International Catchdog Association[/size]
    [size=+3]WB Title Requirements[/size]

( Home ) ( Titled Catchdogs ) ( Contact Info ) ( Links ) ( ICA Members )

[size=-1]Wild Boar I Title Requirements: WB-I: Catch and hold a wild boar not less than 125 lbs., in the controlled environment of a catch pen. Catchdog must seize boar long enough for its handler to toss and control the boar before Catchdog is made to release. Catch must be made in an I.C.A. approved catch pen. Catch must be filmed and submitted to the I.C.A. and witnessed by an I.C.A. Inspector. Catchdog will pass or fail as determined by an I.C.A. Inspector.[/size]

[size=-1]Wild Boar II Title Requirements: WB-II: WB-I requirements along with the following. To catch and seize a wild hog on an actual Wild Hog using baydogs to work the hog. This Title may also be acquired in a pen. Baydogs must be shown baying the Hog before the Catchdog is released. Baydogs must not catch the Hog before the Catchdog has caught the Hog. The Hog must be caught by the Catchdog, then tossed and controlled by handler. Hunt and catch must be filmed and submitted to the I.C.A. and witnessed by an I.C.A. Inspector. Catchdog will pass or fail as determined by an I.C.A. Inspector. A WB-II can also be obtained by a Single Bulldog catching a Wild Hog by itself on a wild hunt. This can be done without the help of any Bay[/size]
    [size=-1]dogs. The Bulldog must be the Primary dog on this catch.[/size]

[size=-1]Wild Boar III Title Requirements: WB-III: WB-II requirements along with the following: A total of four catches on actual Wild Hog in different locations weighing not less than 200 lbs. Catchdog must catch and hold until hog is tossed and controlled by handler. Hunts must be filmed and submitted to the I.C.A. and witnessed by an I.C.A. Inspector. Catchdog will pass or fail as determined by an I.C.A. Inspector.[/size]

[size=-1]Wild Boar Pro/Hunter Requirements: WB-II or WB-III requirements along with Documentation (Film, Video or Pictures) that satisfy the I.C.A. of no less than 10 separate (different hogs, different Hunts and different locations) Wild Hunts of feral Wild Boar in a 2 year period.[/size]

[size=+1]Definitions[/size]

[size=-1]I.C.A. Approved Catch Pen: A pen consisting of no less than 1,000 Square Feet.[/size]
    [size=-1] I.C.A. Inspector: A person passing all the requirements of the I.C.A. and having current valid identification.[/size]
    [size=-1] Wild Boar: A Wild Boar that has been domesticated by being placed in a catch pen.[/size]
    [size=-1] Feral Wild Boar: A Wild Boar that has not been domesticated in any way.[/size]
    [size=-1] Baydog: A dog used for baying a Wild Boar.[/size]
    [size=-1] Catchdog: A dog used for the catching and Holding of Wild Boar.[/size]

3. YoungLion

YoungLion Big Dog

:: Stories
    :: Forum
    :: Events
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Boars, Boars and more Boars.
    Some of the best wild boar and pig dog, hog dog action photos on the web. See how we hunt hogs in Australia with dogs and a knife.
    [​IMG]
    G'day my name is Ian Colley, welcome to Boardogs.
    If hunting offends please leave now.
    Enjoy your stay with Boar Dogs.
    If this is your first visit click HERE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]© Copyright © 1998-2002 by Ian Colley.[/font]
    [​IMG]

4. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

5. Attila

Attila Guest

simple terms. Dog must catch the hog, detain it long enough for handler to deal with hog, Then release from hog. I don't know about doing it in pens but in the wild the hog is either tied or stuck. you bay dogs corral that sucker up and bay it, and it is the catch dogs job to take it down and hold it till you can dispatch the ugly sumbitch. I suggest asking Bamaboy iffen you want more detail than that on hog dogging. It works in a similar fasion with bear and cougars. Coyotes I just let the dogs tear them things apart. And I shoot some as I can. I love killing coyotes. Feeds them endangered buzzards. Yep got to protect and feed them buzzards.

6. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

I'm going to save a little typing...I posted this when I first joined the board.

Strike dog = usually a cur (Black Mouth, Catahoula, Mountain Cur, Texas Lacy), or hound or any mix of those to include crosses with bulldogs that go out and find the hogs. When they find them they bay them (stop them and don't let them run by barking or nipping or biting if necessary.

Catchdog = A bulldog (AB, APBT, or a cross)...these go in a do the dirty work. They go in and catch the hog on the ear, jowl or head and hold it until the hunter dispatches the hog.

7. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

I wish I lived down South. In Pa there is a Boar farm in Erie where they charge $600 for a boar and you can either hunt it or have them butcher it. I personnally asked if my 3 dogs can be used on a smaller boar if I bought one and he said it was prohibited. Than I told him that I was just pulling his leg (but was really serious)

8. I heard from a special hog-catch mix called Bull-Arabs, its a cross between English-Bullterrier and Sloughis or Greyhounds. They look good and have the power and grip to takle the job. Anyone heard from that dogs?

9. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

They are a mixed breed found and used in Australia if I'm not mistaken. They seem to like them down there.

I'll stick with bulldogs.

10. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

ytea thts what came to mind when i read what the cross was made up of. i have heard of them but other than tht i know nothing abiout them. got any links? always good to learn something new.

11. I was on a site called boar dogs...nice site many videos and they tell about catching with Bulldogs and some other Hybrids...check it out!

12. I would too...^^ nothing comes close to a well breed Bulldog.