1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

CDC Statistics on Dog Bites/DBRF

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by oliveah3158, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Is it just me? Or do people use the CDC statistics far too often in an effort to prove that wiping out the pit bull is justified? Thats what I thought! Glad its not just me.;) I've had this debate a couple of years ago with one very irritatingly stubborn man who refused to accept my perspective as valid. This guy accused me several times of being more than one person and having people answer for me and he also thought i was two different people when other members were making the same points on youtube! He finally had to block me because I wasnt letting up and he got tired of arguing the issue. I must say I was tenacious in my arguments as only a pit bull lover can be! This is the "HEATED DEBATE" blogs I have posted on my pit bull page. You can search me through my email Wuninamilian12@hotmail.com You all would find it very interesting to say the least. But more recently I was again taunted by this BOGUS report when it was brought up again under my comments on youtube for one of my videos. The comments are made by normaje4n.Those comments are posted here on page 2 of my comments MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE VIDEO OUT TOO! ITS MY FINEST WORK YET!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D24igQxIfIY

HERE IS A LINK TO THE CDC STATISTICS:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

AND HERE IS A REPORT INDICATING WHY THE REPORT IS NOT VALID!
    http://pittiesplace.com/The Centers for Disease Control.doc.

We should all take a special interest in this report and in fact I suggest we know it well, because it has been thrown at me on more than one occasion and we need to be ready to provide reasons why this report is not valid. People feel strongly about this report because they feel you cant argue the numbers. LETS SHOW THEM!

2. Marty

Marty Guest

3. Lol. I Am All Over It Boss! :)

4. Marty

Marty Guest

5. irishpit

irishpit Big Dog

hey good job with the video,i seen this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great keep up the good work

6. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

As Mark Twain said "there are lies, damned lies and statistics". Anytime you are involved in a debate about anything you can count on the people that you are arguing with using statistics.

Some things to remember, IMO regarding this argument. 1. The number of pitbulls tends to be dramatically understated by enemies of the breed. They will drastically underestimate the total number of pitbulls and then claim that the number of bites the breed is involved in is disproportionately high. In fact if you count pitbull mixes I'd argue that they are the most numerous breed in the country. Now, good old traditional, stable well bred standard pitbulls can be quite rare but since we take the heat for any bite by any dog that resembles the breed the vast number of pitbulls and pitbull like dogs should always be pointed out. Remember when people say "pitbull" they are talking about a type more than a breed and including Amstaffs,Staffybulls, APBT's, Dogos, Presas, ect,ect.

The second big point is mis-identification. Any muscular, short haired dog becomes a pitbull the second a bite occurs. And the last point is the role poor dog ownership plays in a dog bite. The attention focused by pro BSL folks is focused on the wrong end of the leash.

Olivia, you might try googling the book "the pitbull placebo". It is a great read on how BSL makes people FEEL safer without actually doing anything to increase public safety.

7. YOU ARE PREACHING TO THE CHOIR!:p I actually created a quiz to identify which dog was the pit bull. Then i printed it out and gave it to people I knew. They all guessed wrong on it. So crack-head Juanita down the street is not necissarily going to know whether the dog that "almost" killed her was an APBT or not. And I also am amazed that these statistics are still being used. They are RIDICULOUSLY outdated. Its so irritating how they are that desperate for numbers that they have to use the same report BECAUSE that is really the only one documenting dog bites. JUST BECAUSE it is from the CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL does not make it valid.

8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

The CDC doesn't even track attacks by breed anymore, right? That's what I've heard.