1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

check out this O-Ring

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by B-I-Z, Jul 10, 2006.

1. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

2. Bullyboi

Bullyboi CH Dog

3. Marty

Marty Guest

For $7.95 it better lol

4. Attila

Attila Guest

One great thing about that O Ring is it isn't welded. I really didn't see any specifications on it what is its tensle strength? How thick is it? and so forth. Looks tough on a photo but tough is defined by durability and strenght against a load and if it is maluable or brittle will have play in its qualities. You want it to bend not break under pressure. But it does talk about hooking it under loads and having secure multiple devices in lifting loads. I am willing to bet it would for sure hold a dog.

5. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

Yea, I was going to email them about its tensile strength rating. It's used in fire rescue, and is drop forged so I'm guessing it's pretty strong.

6. Attila

Attila Guest

That seems to be a safe assumption. I do like that it isn't welded. I like that concept already. I bet it has a good working load. But it would be interesting to know. Please post the results when they email you back.

7. 440rider

440rider Guest

stillwater has some really nice o rings and are a great size to accommodate an axle set-up. The inside diameter of the ring in the link is 3". With a chain setup using a ring with a small inside diameter such as the one in the link you run into the possibility or getting the lap link or s-hook kinked up in the ring around the axle shaft due to the ring not having enough room to move freely around the shaft. I have had a smaller ring jam up with a lap link due to not enough free play between the ring and the axle shaft. The larger rings move around alot better IMO and eliminate the risk of chain wrap on the axle. Just a heads up. Take Care.

8. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

All the rings I've found at the hardware stores have only had a 2" inside diameter, which is why I've been looking online. They emailed me back and gave me a MBS rating (Minimum Breaking Strength) of 10,000LBF. I found another link that gave a working load of 5,000LB's. The ring is 1/2" thick.

I looked on stillwater's website and didn't see any hardware, only collars and such.

9. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Dixie Dog Products has 3" O rings that run a dollar a piece

10. 440rider

440rider Guest

drop him an IM or email. his o rings are good stuff.

11. it looks to be a good o ring and i like the specs on it,but 7.95 is a little to pricey for one o ring,espically if you have a lot of dogs you have to outfit.

12. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I make some that are 5/8" dia.(thickness of Metal), and 4" around in Dia.

I cut a 5/8" steel dowel (low carbon A36 Grade), and rolled it tight in my bender.

I roll it SO tight that you don't even need to weld it, but I do.

I GMAW(Gas Metal Arc Welding/MIG) it with 70,000 tensile strength, low hydrogen wire.

I sell them for $4 each plus shipping.

When I go to dog shows I usally sell them out before I can get them unpacked.

I can ship 15-20 for about $10(or ever how many I can get in FlatRate Box).

I sell the most to folks who use them on thier Draft Horse, trees and rigs.

I use them arounf the Axle, and make some 3" dia. 3/8" rings I use on collars.

13. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I patterened my rings after Coulver Chain rings.If you are fimiliar with Draft Horses you will know what I'm talking about, if not, just let me say you can't find a heavier duty ring anywhere else for that price

The reason I make my own is because I have NEVER seen ANY that will hold up over time, like the ones I make.

Another good idea, is to get a length of 4" Dia. Schedule 80 Carbon Steel Pipe, like used in High Pressure Process Piping systems.

Slice it up in 1/2" thick slices and use that.
    I've got some of those on my yard that have been there over 5 years and they have very little waer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2006
  14. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

How do we order them from you. I only see the collars and harnesses. Are you going to put them on your website.

15. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Not going to place them on my site, cause I can't make them fast enough.

Give me a call, or shoot me an email and I can quote you a price.
    Shipping is $10 wheather you get 1 or 15, because of wt.

16. Attila

Attila Guest

One thing is for sure I know about draft horses, also using them to plow land, and pull logs. I grew up In and around Amish country. they had the farms on either side of us. Some of them could damn near keep up with me and my Farmall M and John Deer 4420. They would work the heck out of them mules and horses. What fun. I worked their farms sometimes to help them catch up before winter. I had my own set of mules and horses. But when they left for town I broke out the tractors and my holland bailer and went to getting that hay up my way. All they could do is bitch then thank and pay me. The compaining was just for show.

17. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

sounds like you make some good ones.

18. has anyone ever used these, thinking they wouldn't be as strong as they are made of alloy?

19. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

It them fat 3" id O-rings for about $1.50 ea. They are welded, but I aint scared of that. Most folks dont realize that a weld (if welded correctly) is stronger than the steel. In other words, my welded rings would break at another place than the weld first. Welds are just stronger than the materiel, and if the puddle is allowed to be worked correctly, it is more than strong!