1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

China Is Fat...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by chinasmom, Jan 28, 2008.

1. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Since she was spayed, she has blown up like a balloon. I'm not able to exercise her as much right now due to health reason's, but have cut back on feed and treat's. She just turned 5 and I want to know if I should change her to a older dog weight management formula. I have got to do something cause she's getting where she can hardly breathe. Hopefully exercise can start up again in about a month, walking will be it for a while. Need suggestions on a good feed for her. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Yikes, baby got back.:) What you are you feeding currently? Yes, cut out the treats totally. I just use pieces of my dogs kibble as treats when needed. Is there anyone in the family that could take her on walks for ya? 30-45 few times a week would help. If you had a enclosed yard, you could sit on a chair & play fetch with her couple times a week. I hurt my knee badly a while back playing ball...And for 3 months all i could do is sit on a chair and play fetch with the dogs.

3. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

holy crap, well what are u feeding right now and how much. Is she interested in springpoles or maybe flirtpoles. U need to reduce the feed, and make sure its a quality feed, i've had great luck with canidae, and also as much activity as u can get her to do would help. Start slow and she'll tell u how much she can handle.

4. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

She had been on this diet for a while now because she was shedding so bad.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I feed her Innova and a special diet twice a week:

1 cup brown rice
    2 red potatoes
    1 carrot
    1/2 cup yogart
    1 cup chicken
    1 egg

She gets 2 cups dry kibble a day now and I've cut the other diet down to once a week.
    No fenced in yard and if I put her on the chain, she just lays there.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

5. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

CM: Has her thyroid been checked? Just a suggestion, I own a dog who no matter the exercise and low cal diet she's on just wont drop the weight..turns out thyroid issues. You shouldn't need to put her on SR feed though, just get a low calorie food for her. Poor thing, I hope you get better soon too so both of you can have fun!

6. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I have Thyroid problems myself, but the opposite, I lose wieght. She has a dental coming up, I had to cancel the last one, and I'll get it checked while I'm there. May be he will have some other suggestions as well. Thanks.

7. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Poor China she looks so self conscious in that first pic! Best luck getting her back in shape. My Dante was way overweight and I switched his feeding to morning instead of night so he'd have all day to work it off and I also started throwing the kong which kept him running easily for 15-20 minutes.

8. simms

simms CH Dog

she look's like a tick, that's about to pop in that first pic..LOL Reduce her diet.

9. sapitbulls

sapitbulls Guest

This, is why i can't decide if i want to get my female spayed. Because i have seen people dog's that got overweight after being spayed. My brother has a doberman mix and was very active and trim. and after she got fixed she became very lazy and overweight we have to make her stand up just to eat her food because she likes to laydown and pick at the food. She was fixed at 1 i believe and after that she started acting like she was a senior.

10. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

It must be different from dog to dog, my neutered male is as hyper an fit as he has always been before and after the neuter. Still acts like a puppy.

11. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

You are feeding her way to many carbs. Cut out the rice and potatoes all together.
    If you want to continue giving her a special diet a couple days a week make it more like:
    8oz chicken
    8oz chopped veggies (carrots, green beans, squash, brocholli, etc.)
    I would cut out the yogart.

You might want to also switch her from Innova to Evo. It is grain-free and lower carb than Innova. Cut out biscuits all together. You can use carrot slices or greens beans as treats.

12. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I agree, no need whatsoever for all the carbs; her body is turning it to fat. On the days she gets the raw food, don't feed her the kibble in addition, and alternate between the yogurt and chopped veggies, don't feed both on the same day. Also cut her daily kibble intake down to a cup and 3/4s.

13. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Getting spayed isn't the most important factor, IMO. If you keep an eye on the food and exercise, your dog will stay in shape either way. My girl put on weight after she was spayed, but she was also being fed olive oil everyday for her coat. I scaled that back to 1-2 times per week, cut back the food slightly, kept up the exercise, and she's in good shape. Not ripped or anything like that, but healthy.

[​IMG]

Chinasmom, does she like flirtpole, or chasing the hose stream? Those are activities you could do with relatively little strain to yourself.

14. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

This is what i would do,

only feed her dry kibble, and cut what you normally feed her in half then only feed her every other day.... work her on the feed days lets her rest on the off days, Work her after you feed her, one meal in the morning or afternoon will be ok, but do not feed her at night. mix the kibble with just a tad bit of fish oil and i mean JUST a tad and add Lots of Greens like spinach and/or turnup greens and half an egg. ALSO go to Walmart or wherever and get some vitamin B-12 pills, crush up the pills with a hammer and add to her food this will boost her red blood cell count thus helping energy and metabolism.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
  15. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Talk food all you want but in order to lose you must burn more than you consume. So no matter what your feeding maybe its time to admit a chain or at least a pully run setup is definately in order...... if you cant physically supply her physical activity along with the good diet....... because alone the diet just wont work.

16. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Sorry I haven't been back to see all the reply's. They are all helpful and I agree the excercise has got to come back into play. Hubby works from daylight till 8,9 or 10 at night and my fibromyalgia and osteo and has really been hitting me hard. I put her on the chain yesterday and she just layed in the sun. So I went out with a fav toy and threw it and she quit going after it on about the 5th time. I did switch eating to only morning and that's not going over to well. I pick it up after 5pm. On the third day now and she's starting to realize if she don't eat now, it won't be there later. Thanks for all the suggestions. ;)

17. cain0main

cain0main Pup

I know that thyroid issues can cause weight gain but her coat looks too good to have these issues. My female has hypothyroidism and her coat is sparse and dry. Look at these 2 pictures, her tits are like that all the time and she has never been bred. I am hoping that this medicine she is on will bring her coat back.[​IMG]

and this....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Yea, that is the reason for the diet I had her on. Her hair was falling out really bad. Now her coat is really good, but way over weight. This is a pic I took of her outside today.

[​IMG]

19. jason r

jason r Big Dog

this did not happen overnight.you should of had her checked out along time ago.i feel sorry for her.she looks so uncomfortable.not trying to start anything but that has got to be really unhealthy.hope she gets back into shape.

20. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Like I said, since I had her spayed and I have been really unable to do much as far as excercise goes. She just started getting bigger and bigger. One other poster stated his male was unaffected by being sterile, but I think it's different for females. They have the whole harmone thing going on.